mariner 125 any thoughts?

barronromeobarronromeo Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Getting frustrated looking for a flats boat. Looked at a 17 action craft but it looked like the beam was pretty narrow. Found a key west but it ha a 125 mariner from 1996. Any ideas about that engine? My problem is there are a ton of 17-18 foot boats out there but they are all set up a little differently makes it hard to compare.

Replies

• DirtlawyerDirtlawyer Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Our lake boat has an 86 Mariner 135 and we have never had a problem with it. Like any motor, it all depends on how the owner took care of it. From my understanding Mariner and Mercury outboards were the same other than the color and decals...
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    A solid motor. Nothing spectacular about it but as long as the carbs and timing are adjusted right they run great.
    The motor is informally known as a "2+2" as it idles on two cylinders and the other two 'kick in' around 1500-2000rpm. It was designed for walleye fishermen. Gets great fuel economy at low rpms.
    Not sure where your looking but I have a buddy selling an 18 Action craft, 1999 I believe, and it has a Mariner 115 or 125. Located in Melbourne.
    Send me a PM if interested.
    Signature
  • barronromeobarronromeo Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I believe that's one of the boats I am looking at I am going on vacation middle of October and when I get back I am buying a boat. Let me know what your buddy's boat is like. If it is still for sale when I get back I will take a look.