Home Egret Boats

Poling the Egret 189

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
When I made my decision to buy the Egret 189 one of the things I was concerned about was the ability to pole it, so here is some info. for potential buyers on the subject.

The first day that I took the boat fishing with my buddy Bones I forgot my trolling motor at home (despite having a captain's checklist, guess it was too early for my brain). I looked at it as a good opportunity to learn how the Egret would pole.

Here are the headlines for the boat's polability:

- With a 24' push pole and a Yamaha F150 on the back I was able to get the boat to do whatever I wanted to do in good conditions. Fuel was full and 150 pound angler on the bow.
- I poled shorelines, flats, and river mouths wrought with snags and oyster bars on all sides, all without any issues and we caught fish all day.
- Later in the day when the current was ripping from behind and the wind from ahead the boat was difficult to control, so I staked out more often (we were fishing river mouths).
- Bottom line is that the boat will pole well when the conditions are right for it. Frank A., the current owner of Egret, claims he used to pole the 189 4 days a week in the Keys and at this point I believe him.
- If you need the boat to pole in less than 12 inches of water or you are not willing to fish a different way when conditions are not right then this isn't the boat for you.

Since I have owned the boat I have taken it from poling dead calm shorelines in the backcountry to 3' swells offshore. The fact that this boat can do both while riding as smooth as it does has confirmed that the boat has the versatility I was looking for.

Hope this helps any potential buyers doing research.

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Here's one of the areas we poled around oyster bars and snags. I'm sure some here know it. Although we steered clear that day the hull has some scratches now so it is a virgin no more!!

P.S. That jig cannot be found at any store!
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Under ideal conditions, I could pole mine. Ultimately, draft and pole ability are what led me to sell mine. Once you get some wind in the equation, things get really tough. There's no perfect boat, the egret is a great stable platform with loads of storage, but - if you want to be on the pole a good bit of the time, it may not be the best fit.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    When I made my decision to buy the Egret 189 one of the things I was concerned about was the ability to pole it, so here is some info. for potential buyers on the subject.

The first day that I took the boat fishing with my buddy Bones I forgot my trolling motor at home (despite having a captain's checklist, guess it was too early for my brain). I looked at it as a good opportunity to learn how the Egret would pole.

Here are the headlines for the boat's polability:

- With a 24' push pole and a Yamaha F150 on the back I was able to get the boat to do whatever I wanted to do in good conditions. Fuel was full and 150 pound angler on the bow.
    - I poled shorelines, flats, and river mouths wrought with snags and oyster bars on all sides, all without any issues and we caught fish all day.
    - Later in the day when the current was ripping from behind and the wind from ahead the boat was difficult to control, so I staked out more often (we were fishing river mouths).
    - Bottom line is that the boat will pole well when the conditions are right for it. Frank A., the current owner of Egret, claims he used to pole the 189 4 days a week in the Keys and at this point I believe him.
    - If you need the boat to pole in less than 12 inches of water or you are not willing to fish a different way when conditions are not right then this isn't the boat for you.

Since I have owned the boat I have taken it from poling dead calm shorelines in the backcountry to 3' swells offshore. The fact that this boat can do both while riding as smooth as it does has confirmed that the boat has the versatility I was looking for.

Hope this helps any potential buyers doing research.

I agree under windy conditions the boat can be hard to pole. However, having said that the boat wasn't designed to be a boat that was going to be poled all the time. I think that the potential buyers doing research, that want a poling skiff would opt for a different design that would better serve that style of fishing.

Now under normal conditions, it can be poled like you stated. It does track straight, pivots well, doesn't blow off and doesn't throw you off the platform if the angler moves without telling you that they are moving. So for a boat, that its primary design criteria was rough water dry ride with huge baitwells and tons of storage, stable fishing platform that is self bailing. It performs pretty good. I have caught Tailing Redfish and Tailing Bonefish out of my 18 Egret. Not to mention, Cobias, Little Tunny and Mahi Mahi all on fly. Tight lines... Pete
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I agree under windy conditions the boat can be hard to pole. However, having said that the boat wasn't designed to be a boat that was going to be poled all the time. I think that the potential buyers doing research, that want a poling skiff would opt for a different design that would better serve that style of fishing.

Now under normal conditions, it can be poled like you stated. It does track straight, pivots well, doesn't blow off and doesn't throw you off the platform if the angler moves without telling you that they are moving. So for a boat, that its primary design criteria was rough water dry ride with huge baitwells and tons of storage, stable fishing platform that is self bailing. It performs pretty good. I have caught Tailing Redfish and Tailing Bonefish out of my 18 Egret. Not to mention, Cobias, Little Tunny and Mahi Mahi all on fly. Tight lines... Pete

AGREE