How often is too often?

So I found what looks like a great spot to hunt; it's got everything. Scrapes, rubs, dog fennel travel route, on an edge. I found it scouting around after my last sit. I hunted it this morning with winds out of the east predicted (Perfect!). Well winds were out of the west early, and didn't see a thing:banghead. Between scouting and sitting my scent has been in there two mornings of the last 3. Wondering if it's worth sitting again; maybe in the evening, or should I wait 3-4 days. Seems like I hardly ever see deer after the first sit or two, especially during archery being so close to the trails. I have several other spots so that's not an issue. I see guys who do sit in the same stand for days and days; never understood that. What has your experience been, how often is too often?

Oh and the evening sit would be tomorrow; not today.

Replies

• cuda141cuda141 Posts: 619 Officer
    I'd say stay out til a good rain comes through and then go back when the wind is right...hopefully u haven't jumped any game??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Capt. Cuda's Parts & Charters
    http://www.cudascustoms.com/index.htm
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 494 Deckhand
    I know ill get blasted for this but just hunt. Its all marketing. I consistenly kill deer in one of the hardest places in FL., the Big Cypress, and I never worry about the wind, how many times I've been to the stand in a week, or any of the other crap you see on TV. Go out and just enjoy being in the outdoors.
  • TheSnookManTheSnookMan Posts: 430 Officer
    I never worry about the wind. Just hunt
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,530 Captain
    :Agree
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    I hate hunting a spot more than twice, it's like putting on a dirty pair of underwear.

During the rut you get new bucks all the time in travel corridors, so you can get away with some sloppiness.

Is this travel corridor on the edge of some body of water?
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,278 Admiral
    I'll hunt a spot 3 times.
    if nothings happened by then they either smelled me, Are coming thru at night , or just ain't going there right now.
    Be back in a week or 2 for another sit.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,133 Officer
    I hate hunting a spot more than twice, it's like putting on a dirty pair of underwear.

During the rut you get new bucks all the time in travel corridors, so you can get away with some sloppiness.

Is this travel corridor on the edge of some body of water?

Edge of a small portion of swamp
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I never worry about the wind. Just hunt

I used to do this. Didn't kill many deer. Changed my attitude about wind and my level of success increased dramatically.
    Some folks kill plenty of deer without worrying about wind, but those folks are not me.

That said, I typically wait until the cool fronts start moving across the US, which typically bring a north based and steadier, less shifty, wind, before I hunt my best stands.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Well right now the wind will get you it's shifty and hot out so smell is at it's max between sweat and other stuff I will sit a stand twice if I don't see anything move. I I'm seeing things I hang tight. Depending on how high up you are depends on how well they will be able to smell you so I think anyways. And most of the time if your winded they will blow and you will know happened to me twice sat am winded twice by the same deer could have killed it but too young for my morals
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    I would give it some time. Early season, with all the sweating, it is impossible not to lay down a good amount of scent.

Pressure on a stand is tough to judge, because it really depends on how many deer you are winding while in the stand, how many deer you wind getting to the stand, and how many deer cross your trail coming to the stand. Its very difficult to estimate 1 of these factors, much less all 3.

Finally, how much you want to burn a stand depends on what type of a stand it is. A stand leading into a cropfield of peanuts is fine to burn out early, because once the peanuts are picked the deer are gone. A stand that gets scrape activity should be hit hard pre-rut, then probably left alone.

Your stand sounds like it kind of has it all and may be a good place to ambush a nice buck during the rut. I would wait.

FYI, we had a stand near a feeder that the deer would hit nearly every night. I begged my stepfather not to sit it when we had an uncommonly southern wind late in the season. Big doe winded him and the stand died for quite some time... FYI.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Different tactics on WMA vrs private land. Three guys may be hunting a WMA when you are trying to let it cool down. People I know that consistently put down big deer on WMAs, I not being one of them, watch the winds. They have many spots in mind and do not hunt a spot if the wind is not right.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 817 Officer
    cuda141 wrote: »
    I'd say stay out til a good rain comes through and then go back when the wind is right...hopefully u haven't jumped any game??

^ THIS...A good gully washer takes care of the scent. If I *KNOW* it's going to rain...I'll hit my best spots knowing it won't effect the deer movement if the rain hits in the afternoon...if it doesn't rain till late after dark.chances are the deer were alerted to your presence. In any case..I don't hunt the SAME TREE more than 2X but I'll hunt up and down the access/exit trails making sure I don't cut em with my scent...you can hunt an area allot as long as you are careful getting and and out without laying scent on the deer trail.
  • HuntnFLHuntnFL Posts: 184 Officer
    I hunt on a small camp where everybody shares stands and I see deer regardless of how many days a stand has been hunt. Last year I shot a buck in the 6th day in a row of someone hunting that particular stand (and it was hunted with no regard for the wind). If a spot is good and I haven't spooked any deer I will hunt it with out much concern for how many days or the wind.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,434 Officer
    Put a camera on the trail. It will take the guess work out of it.
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    Edge of a small portion of swamp

I'm guessing the swamp is to the East? If so, that is what is pulling your thermals out of the west before sunrise. I would enter from the swamp or edge of the swamp to the East of the deer trails on a west wind.

Or enter from the east when there is an east wind predicted and sunshine. The swamp will pull your thermals from the west predawn, then when the sun gets up and the wind picks up out of the East the warm air should be rising by then and your scent will be going right over the deer. I set up like that quite a bit. Need to be an honest 20' or so high in the tree.

Or just go in around 9am during the rut from downwind and kill the bucks cruising there midday. Then you don't have to worry about the calm wind and swamp thermals at dawn/dusk.
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.