Home General Hunting

Looking for a hog hunting mentor in/near Jax

JedsDaddyJedsDaddy Posts: 297 Officer
I am looking for an experienced hog hunter to show me the ropes in hog hunting. I am new to hunting in Northeast Florida and would like to learn the skills to become a successful hog hunter. I would simply like to observe on a few trips to learn as much as I can. In the future, I plan to obtain my own lease to hunt hogs. I do not plan to bring my rifle and I am not interested in acquiring any of the meat, I would just like to tag along. I am willing to buy corn, ice etc., in exchange for some knowledge. I do not care if the land is public, a lease, or privately owned.

I am a drug and alcohol free mid 30’s professional male that loves the outdoors and doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty. As I said before, I don’t want to steal your spot I just want to learn everything there is to know about getting on some piggies.

If you wouldn’t mind someone tagging along, please give me a call/text and I’d be happy to meet for lunch somewhere to introduce myself. (On me of course). Thank you!

Justin
904.234.2six38
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BulletMan1 - Hand Crafted Bullet Jewelry

Replies

• JedsDaddyJedsDaddy Posts: 297 Officer
    Anyone willing to help out a noob?
  • evilman00evilman00 Posts: 265 Officer
    Tough task for you you most like need to pay a guide if yiu want to learn,,, you pick up the wrong sport
    Why you say that?
  • evilman00evilman00 Posts: 265 Officer
    Because is hard to find someone than willing to share there honey holes, there is a lot competition specially if you hunt public land
    Did you not read the original post? Not looking for anyone's honey hole as I will be joining a lease as soon as I can find one accepting new members. I won't hunt public land anyway, but I would tag along with someone if that is all they hunt.. Again, just looking to learn and that's it
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
    go on craigslist there a tons off places taking members, bigger challenge is finding a club you like. some will even discount iif all you want to do is hog hunt and will agree not to hunt during deer season
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Hogs are one of the easy non game animals to hunt.....or your worest nightmare.....learn patterns on hogs and you should have some out right success. Hunt near the river that has a nice amount of food and shows signs of hogs....looks like a road crew just went through....make sure there is fresh scat....hogs are near....my rule of thumb is smell....I can smell them...I also know they can smell me...sometimes they just bed down low and you got to follow your nose....flipping carefully....I like to just bait and trap them.....30/30 to the nut and off to the hanging rack....not a pro by any means, but some what lucky and very thankful.....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
    You sure make it sound easy enough Capt. John!! haha
  • capt.c.herreracapt.c.herrera Posts: 215 Officer
    JedsDaddy,, if you find some private land to hunt I will contact my hunting buddies in Jax that can take you out and help you setup.
    Thanks Capt. See that's part of my problem. I just don't want to get into a lease without first going on a few trips to find out what I am actually looking for. Anyone can tell me they have hogs on their land and without knowing what to look for I would probably believe them. Before I drop $1500-$2000 I'd like to know I'm not getting ripped off and would like to be able to look for hog signs when I go and preview the land before I buy. Like what kind of area s hogs like etc.. Sorry I am probably way over thinking this..

But yeah, as soon as I find something that fits I wouldn't mind some help setting up shop. I appreciate it man
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    If your going to hunt private land you will have no problem shooting hogs if they are there....shoot over bait until you feel up to tracking them...once you have a couple hundred hours of hogs under your belt your pretty much good or at least confident about your skill set to try and play follow the porker....hunt legal areas off the St. John's river with a boat.....use the boat to find the hogs on the rivers edge, HUGE VERY IMPORTANT, make sure you can hunt that area aka not a protected area that will get you in trouble such as the north or south side of 520 bridge where you can just park and shine hogs across the river at night....I see more hogs than I can count.....make sure its not a protected area thats off
    limits..I believe you can legally shoot hogs within the high mean water mark so if you pop them at rivers edge your good....get a night scope, a q bean to spot with...and a gun..legally you can't spot light them and shoot.....I believe you can night vision scope them and shoot...on private property have at it...as in free for all....I prefer to just bait and trap them...
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
    I'm buried at work JD for the next two months. If you haven't found anyone to help by the end of the year, drop me a IM here. We can meet up for some lunch somewhere and I can at least walk you through some of the basics and we can generate a list of things you should see or ask when reviewing leases.

Hunting hogs on public land versus private land are almost complete opposites to each other. Hogs can move around a lot looking for food. They may move miles in a day if a new favorite food source becomes available somewhere else. So on public land it's about getting down on the rivers/swamps and covering territory during the day and hunting palmetto/pine flats or oak scrub toward the end of the day.

On private land where you are often required to stay in a relatively small area, it's really about spinning the golden acorns. The only real challenge is finding the right spot for the feeder and setting up stands for all winds or at least the prevailing winds. Nothing hard as long as you have some hogs in the area.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
    JD.....Good advice and a couple of kind offers, which is what you will generally find from these guys.

Lots of variables and not all areas have hogs, for a number of reasons. We've a dearth on our place because we abut a piece of SJRWMD property that has a VERY efficient guy doing their hog control on it. Which is a somewhat frustrating situation for Louann and I as we much prefer shooting a hog to a deer. The guys on the lease though, they really like it as almost none of them care to mess with a hog.

It's the best eating animal out there.......if you can find them.
  • Optimum7Optimum7 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    JedsDaddy wrote: »
    Thanks Capt. See that's part of my problem. I just don't want to get into a lease without first going on a few trips to find out what I am actually looking for. Anyone can tell me they have hogs on their land and without knowing what to look for I would probably believe them. Before I drop $1500-$2000 I'd like to know I'm not getting ripped off and would like to be able to look for hog signs when I go and preview the land before I buy. Like what kind of area s hogs like etc.. Sorry I am probably way over thinking this..

But yeah, as soon as I find something that fits I wouldn't mind some help setting up shop. I appreciate it man

For hog hunting a lease should not cost that much, make sure their are willing to do hog hunting lease only,
    most likely they may restrict the time of the year you can hunt until after the deer season is over, some wont care
    either way. in a lease corn is king and corn that has been left to ferment with some sugar is even better to get them started, after that it does not matter much in my opinion. send me a PM if you have specific questions and/or your phone number and we can talk. some guys will even let you shoot the hogs that are coming to their feeders that they have set up for deer once you develop are a good relationship.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,495 AG
    bswiv wrote: »
    We've a dearth on our place because we abut a piece of SJRWMD property that has a VERY efficient guy doing their hog control on it. .

Not sure where you are...but you may be in luck...the guy who did it down in south Brevard / Indian river got fired...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Thanks for all of the advice fellas I really appreciate it. I am going to look at a lease this weekend that is still accepting a couple of members. I figure the best way to do it is to dive right in and learn as I go along. I didnt spend much time over in this section because I havent hunted, but hope to share more in the conversation down the road. Again, I really appreciate all of the help. Thank you!
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,260 Officer
    get some hiking boots and spend some time in Camp Blanding, research it first tho, FWC website and google earth