Home Politics

Muslim prayer locally

David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
So I was waiting at my wife's employment for her to get out of work when I noticed something out of place. My wife works in a bank and with the increase of bank robberies in the Tampa area., I look at folks a little more than I used to.
So this "Joe's type cab" pulls through the bank parking lot and then makes another circle and then another full circle of the building. I notice that the driver is looking hard at the bank and then the lower parking lot. He doesn't have a customer with him and I had been sitting there for 10-15 minutes already, so I am thinking that he isn't picking up a drop off either. My wife sends me a text saying that she is going to be later and with that I walk inside for a head call.
One of the senior bankers has noticed the cabby and his roundings. He is now parked diagonally in the lower parking lot where employees park. I do my thing and grab a lobby seat with a view.
I watch as he exits his car and then proceeds to the trunk for something. He grabs a gallon jug of water and goes back to the car.
It didn't take but a minute to realize what he was doing from that point onward. He stuck his feet out of the car and proceeded to wash them. After several minutes, he places his mussallah on the ground after getting orientated and begins to pray.
Some of the folks in the bank hadn't a clue as to what he was doing.
While it doesn't bother me that he is Muslim and following his strong religious practice, it did bother me that he would do so where he had chosen for doing it.
The bank sits next to a large shopping center with more open parking areas than a half dozen football fields. I am wondering why he didn't do it there.
There was actually less traffic there than the bank parking lot.
His choice to take up two employee parking spaces seemed daring. Now granted he used water to wash his feet, some folks didn't appreciate that either knowing that he scrubbed his feet in it and that they might have to walk through it.

Having spent a fair amount of time around Muslims who practice, I was knowledgeable in what he was doing. Many others were not and several wanted to call the law. I suggested that they wait and see if they became a reoccurrence and then take it up with senior staff first.

I am hoping that the Pentecostals hold a revival BBQ there next week too. All in fairness, I believe that they should be able too. The Atheists can schedule a fish fry and shrimp boil later in the month when the weather cools off a little bit more.

Thank goodness is wasn't another Bank Robbery gone wrong.

Edit: I meant to ask. Do any of you believe that there would be any problems (legally) had the bank attempted to forbid him from praying on their property?
Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.

Replies

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    If they ask him to leave and he doesn't, it's trespassing. Parking is granted for active bank customers only.
  • White DogWhite Dog Posts: 5,343 Officer
    They would be within their right to ask him to leave.....But rest assured 'discrimination' would be the next word out of his mouth.....followed by 'How big do think the check will be?'
    The White Dog.........R.I.P..........1996 - June 2nd, 2011
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Way, way back in the day, when I was in engineering college the Muslim students would do their prayers in the stairwells of the engineering building. It was annoying. Not because they were practicing their religion, but because most of them were not good enough students to take up a seat in the engineering department, at a major US research university. They were there on a US program to train engineers from **** and Egypt.
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    Seems like perhaps he was looking for a place out of the way so as not to cause a stir. As for walking though the water he washed his feet in . . really? That's a concern?
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    Seems like perhaps he was looking for a place out of the way so as not to cause a stir.

Sounds like it did cause a stir! Why didn't he do that at his home or at his local Mosque? Or back in his home country?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Gary M wrote: »
    Sounds like it did cause a stir! Why didn't he do that at his home or at his local Mosque? Or back in his home country?

I bet he could care less about what a bunch of nosey christers think.

It caused a stir because some people are morons.

As for doing it at home . .
    I'll remember this the next time I am at a restaurant and see a family praying.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    If a Muslim on a prayer rug makes you want to call the cops,
    you need to realize you are an idiot and take steps to correct it.
    I see Christers dropping refs and making public statements all the
    time.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    The last time I saw a Muslim facing Mecca was on the evening of September 11, 2001. He was kneeling on the stoop of a tiny black church in my neighborhood. The world was praying for America on that day. Oh how did bush change that!
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    It caused a stir because some people are morons.

As for doing it at home . .
    I'll remember this the next time I am at a restaurant and see a family praying.

Good grief. Now I realize what a fun and quiet year+ that I enjoyed staying away from this Section.

"The bank sits next to a large shopping center with more open parking areas than a half dozen football fields."

You're blind if you can't see that he circled the bank a few times and then chose a spot where he COULD be seen by others....... in order to cause a stir........
    That's a lot of conjecture on your part.
    Maybe he was looking for a spot that would
    allow him to face Mecca without throwing his
    rug in a puddle of coolant or oil.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Good grief. Now I realize what a fun and quiet year+ that I enjoyed staying away from this Section.

"The bank sits next to a large shopping center with more open parking areas than a half dozen football fields."

You're blind if you can't see that he circled the bank a few times and then chose a spot where he COULD be seen by others....... in order to cause a stir........

Which is more open . . a lower level bank parking lot or a shopping center?
    Which is more open . . a lower level bank parking lot or a shopping center?

This is a non-question. Back up to the OP. The guy was just showing off and wanted to be scene.

I just asked a M.E. guy that works for me. He said prayers are suppose to be done in private, to be considerate of others and to take into account the Muslim idea of humility.
    This is a non-question. Back up to the OP. The guy was just showing off and wanted to be scene.

I just asked a M.E. guy that works for me. He said prayers are suppose to be done in private, to be considerate of others and to take into account the Muslim idea of humility.

Yeah right.

How is it a non question? Obviously the guy was trying to be more private hence the lower level of the bank parking lot INSTEAD of a open shopping center.
  • The guy was just showing off and wanted to be scene. He said prayers are suppose to be done in private, to be considerate of others...

Yeah that's right for Christians as well, but doesn't stop some from doing it.

Tebow.jpg

Maybe if he had a rug to kneel on people would not have noticed.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Never said either was right.
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer

Thumpers have the same rule but that never slows them down in the restaurants.
    Chubasco.jpg
    Beat cha. Please see #18. TYIA.
    Never said either was right.

Personally I don't care if people show/display their faith in Public. However to single out a particular faith, such is the case here, is anti-American. The exception being parts outside our legal and constitutional protections. i.e. Beheadings, stoning, etc . .
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    [QUOTEIt caused a stir because some people are morons.
    ][/QUOTE]

Uneducated in the event taking place, not morons as you have stated.
    That's a lot of conjecture on your part.
    Maybe he was looking for a spot that would
    allow him to face Mecca without throwing his
    rug in a puddle of coolant or oil.

My thoughts too at the onset. When I realized that he was facing north and not the least little bit easterly it caught my attention. Remember this was an afternoon/evening and the sun was clear in the western sky. The more that I think about it, the more it makes me wonder. He spent a great deal of time staring in the front doors of the bank. As I said before, I have been around plenty of Muslims when they are praying and this guy seemed out of place.
  • NOLE66NOLE66 Posts: 1,630 Officer
    chubasco wrote: »
    Thumpers have the same rule but that never slows them down in the restaurants.

And WE WONT STOP, EVER! Our kids sports teams, band and cheerleaders pray before games, on the field in front of everybody. We do it in school, out if school, restaurants, wherever. NOBODY will stop us.

Good for the Muslim, as he has the same rights that everyone else does. By all means, pray, where, when and how you want. This is the US of A, correct?

And we aren't 'thumpers' as you us. We are Christians, understand?
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer

I asked a Muslim friend and he said that praying in the bank lot was the right thing to do.

Were you there WE?
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    David B wrote: »
    Many others were not and several wanted to call the law.

Somehow I don't think that when the government said to be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity that may lead to an attack of terrorism, I don't think someone washing their feet in a bank parking lot was what they had in mind.:rotflmao
    NOLE66 wrote: »
    And WE WONT STOP, EVER! Our kids sports teams, band and cheerleaders pray before games, on the field in front of everybody. We do it in school, out if school, restaurants, wherever. NOBODY will stop us.

Good for the Muslim, as he has the same rights that everyone else does. By all means, pray, where, when and how you want. This is the US of A, correct?

Except gawd doesn't give a **** about your team.
  • NOLE66 wrote: »

And we aren't 'thumpers' as you us.

I don't know about that.

Asking Jesus to help your kids win a T-ball game, or play a song, or jump up and down with pom-poms etc. etc. or in thanks for pizza you are about to receive in anything above a quiet whisper, isn't what I think He had in mind.

Or that of the guy in the both next to you.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Somehow I don't think that when the government said to be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity that may lead to an attack of terrorism, I don't think someone washing their feet in a bank parking lot was what they had in mind

I agree. I think those who didn't know what was going on, were confused. I know that they wouldn't care who it was praying, as long as they didn't occupy parking spaces for employees and customers. Furthermore don't bath in their parking lot before, during or after doing it. They wouldn't accept someone parking the same throwing back a few cold ones just same.
    I was happy to be able to explain to them what was occurring in hopes that they would gain some knowledge from it. You will see that I suggested that they speak with senior staff if this became a re-occurring event.
    I do know that with the rash of local bank robberies in the area, tension is higher than ever before. I can't say that I blame them for that.
    NOLE66 wrote: »

Jesus tole me he's really getting sick of your nonsense.
    Said it's an embarrassment.