Home Politics

'2014 On Track To Be Hottest Year On Record' Scientific American

2»

Replies

  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    fins4me wrote: »
    Who gets to determine how much of a sacrifice we have to make in order to satisfy the whims of the climate change cult?

    Must we cease travel?
    Must we live in tiny houses?
    Must we go vegan as a result of the stoppage of livestock production?
    Must we surrender our savings in order to fund the next pie in the sky green energy project?
    Must we reduce our standard of living in the US to match some prescribed green level of existence??

    You can claim it is settled science, you can claim those who do not fall in lockstep with you freaks are "deniers". You can ignore any and all proof that does not meet your climate change script. I do not care.

    If you wish to change your lifestyle that is your business. Enjoy,, I choose not to yield to your nonsense.


    My parents worked hard for my entitlements,
    **** the kids, drive it like a rental.....
  • beat to fitbeat to fit Posts: 2,088 Captain
    I think you all missed the reason why Scientist continue to say climate is cooling, climate is warming, blah blah blah...:blahblah if they don't have climate conflict, then they don't get FUNDING and their jobs and boondoggle weather trips go away! :hairraiser Take science and level thinking out of it and think of politics and money. That is how ALL decisions are made now...politics and money...not what is right or wrong! Those days are long gone! :banghead
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I think you all missed the reason why Scientist continue to say climate is cooling, climate is warming, blah blah blah...:blahblah if they don't have climate conflict, then they don't get FUNDING and their jobs and boondoggle weather trips go away! :hairraiser Take science and level thinking out of it and think of politics and money. That is how ALL decisions are made now...politics and money...not what is right or wrong! Those days are long gone! :banghead

    Nice little BS diatribe.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Earth's Top 10 Hottest Years On Record all occurred since 1998 & 2014 is on track to become the hottest year on record.

    Human population is predicted to increase by more than 50% by 2100.

    What are our children are going to "wish to change"? Maybe they'll want to throw off the 1%er overlords, instead of worshiping them?

    Looks like there's going to be no shortage of travel as masses will be forced to flee coastal cities. And there'll be plenty of new houses to build as waterfront properties are inundated by the sea. People are choosing to eat more vegetables b/c they prefer them over chemical marinated carrion. Smart investors are putting their assets into alternative energy & conservation. Our extremely materialistic culture doesn't need to worry about standard of living as much as we need to deal with income inequity & the destruction of the middle class.

    You can't "ignore any and all proof that" some freaks inherited their lifestyle/standard of living & neither choose it or worked for it. Most wealthy Americans enjoyed a big Leg Up provided by a Silver Spoon & recite a delusional script about how hard they work & how good their decisions are. They attempt to deny the fact that it is not a level playing field.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Looks like there's going to be no shortage of travel as masses will be forced to flee coastal cities. And there'll be plenty of new houses to build as waterfront properties are inundated by the sea.

    According to NASA studies, the Earth has warmed 0.9*C since 1880. With this increase has anything flooded and remained under water due to this increase? I can't find any reports that anything has. Never mind I found it. NASA reports show that the sea-level rise that has occurred with the warming trend is 3.17mm (that is just less than 1/8 of and inch for you non-metric folks). This was measured from 1993-2010. That would mean that by 2100 the oceans would rise nearly 10" inches if nothing changes. That would put my house not quite 16 feet above sea-level from where it is today. That seals the deal. I am going back to the Lake Wales Ridge where I can sit at least 100+ feet above msl.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    David B wrote: »
    According to NASA studies, the Earth has warmed 0.9*C since 1880. With this increase has anything flooded and remained under water due to this increase? I can't find any reports that anything has. Never mind I found it. NASA reports show that the sea-level rise that has occurred with the warming trend is 3.17mm (that is just less than 1/8 of and inch for you non-metric folks). This was measured from 1993-2010. That would mean that by 2100 the oceans would rise nearly 10" inches if nothing changes. That would put my house not quite 16 feet above sea-level from where it is today. That seals the deal. I am going back to the Lake Wales Ridge where I can sit at least 100+ feet above msl.

    http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/
    Global warming has raised global sea level about 8 inches since 1880, and the rate of rise is accelerating. Rising seas dramatically increase the odds of damaging floods from storm surges. A Climate Central analysis finds the odds of “century” or worse floods occurring by 2030 are on track to double or more, over widespread areas of the U.S. These increases threaten an enormous amount of damage. Across the country, nearly 5 million people live in 2.6 million homes at less than 4 feet above high tide — a level lower than the century flood line for most locations analyzed. And compounding this risk, scientists expect roughly 2 to 7 more feet of sea level rise this century — a lot depending upon how much more heat-trapping pollution humanity puts into the sky. - See more at: http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/#sthash.s53Modk5.dpuf

    http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/impacts/infographic-sea-level-rise-global-warming.html#.VCmrD2OBSRw
    Sea-Level-Rise-and-Global-Warming-Infographic-All-Facts_Full-Size.jpg
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    This was measured from 1993-2010

    http://climate.nasa.gov/key_indicators/ Remember there is a certain individual here that despises anyone who refuses to accept NASA as a source on such subjects. I don't want to be called a denier again. It's an ugly thing to try and live down.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    I wonder if the folks who Cyclist has chosen to source in order to spread hyberbole are the same ones who predicted we would be awash in major hurricanes by now??
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Actually based on NASA data is has risen 10.52 inches since 1880 -2014. The current rate isn't quite twice the rate from 1880 to 1993. I am sure that this will change at some point. Artic sea ice levels have been on a steady increase and the Greenland Mass is slowly increasing again. My head hurts too much to figure out how much water is held in all of the ice.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    fins4me wrote: »
    I wonder if the folks who Cyclist has chosen to source in order to spread hyberbole are the same ones who predicted we would be awash in major hurricanes by now??

    I love it when people who do not understand science open their mouths and think they are being clever.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Across the country, nearly 5 million people live in 2.6 million homes at less than 4 feet above high tide

    and herein lies the problem for those who willfully choose to do so and not out of necessity.

    Hey Cyclist- How do we overcome the differences of data on the same subject? Who do we believe from an objective point of view? Sure we all have our loyalties to some researchers and yet we must remain open minded of all of the research too. Correct?
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    David B wrote: »
    Actually based on NASA data is has risen 10.52 inches since 1880 -2014. The current rate isn't quite twice the rate from 1880 to 1993. I am sure that this will change at some point. Artic sea ice levels have been on a steady increase and the Greenland Mass is slowly increasing again. My head hurts too much to figure out how much water is held in all of the ice.

    Arctic sea ice trends - definitely NOT on a steady increase.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=arctic+sea+ice+trends&client=firefox-a&hs=Pn2&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Fq4pVN6oHdOJsQTEroDoBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1218&bih=927#imgdii=_

    Greenland trends
    http://www.skepticalscience.com/An-overview-of-Greenland-ice-trends.html
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I love it when people who do not understand science open their mouths and think they are being clever.
    Tell us all about your significant science background.Then I will tell you I have more.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    fins4me wrote: »
    Tell us all about your significant science background.Then I will tell you I have more.

    Then you should know that giving your cattle all of those antibiotics is a bad thing.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Cyclist- I took that information directly from NASA. That is why I commented on who do we go to in belief of the data. Sure the over all trend shows that ice has indeed reduced in size from a set point. It is on a slow increase in mass once again based on the data that I looked at. Will we ever see it back to what it was some X years ago. Highly unlikely. I am happy to see that it is gaining ground. Just as you would probably happy to see the overall temperature drop by .2*C and remain that way.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    David B wrote: »
    Cyclist- I took that information directly from NASA. That is why I commented on who do we go to in belief of the data. Sure the over all trend shows that ice has indeed reduced in size from a set point. It is on a slow increase in mass once again based on the data that I looked at. Will we ever see it back to what it was some X years ago. Highly unlikely. I am happy to see that it is gaining ground. Just as you would probably happy to see the overall temperature drop by .2*C and remain that way.

    Gotcha.
Sign In or Register to comment.