Home General Paddle Craft

Paddle board fishing

I get asked why I paddle board fish. This video will tell the story.

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 734 Officer
    Nice video Pete... If I could afford a Dragonfly or a Cayo as an alternate second paddle craft I'd have one, would be perfect for the areas I fish...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Jmt2404Jmt2404 Posts: 188 Officer
    Nice video! That's a good explaination!
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,624 Captain
    One day you will Krash.
    krash wrote: »
    Nice video Pete... If I could afford a Dragonfly or a Cayo as an alternate second paddle craft I'd have one, would be perfect for the areas I fish...
    krash wrote: »

That's why I built mine!
    That is a cool board.
    Jmt2404 wrote: »
    That's why I built mine!
  • krashkrash Posts: 734 Officer
    Jmt, nice looking sup.. is that a CLC Kaholo ?
    I'd love to do one of the CLC classes and build one... don't have the place/space or proper tools to do one in my yard.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    Really cool video and I like your board but I rather stay in my kayak.
    2015 Hobie Outback.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    How did you get that overhead shot? Do you have a drone?
    It was a drone shot.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 599 Officer
    I've been really tempted on getting a paddle board too. The first time I rented one in the keys, it only took 5-10 minutes for me to get used to the balance and I was off. The high vantage point really allows you to spot stuff you never would've gotten close enough to spot in a kayak. I was following tarpon and small groupers around just in the swim area.

I can totally see paddle boards replace kayaks for flats fishing. You can paddle some kayaks standing up, but they are all too bulky to get any distance with. However, you can cruise around all day on a light paddle board. All that needs to happen is for a manufacturer to deck one out for fishing. A paddle board/kayak hybrid would be really ideal here.
    Quatin, I have tried a few and had one of the hybrids for a short time. Found that they were not that great as a kayak or paddle board. So I have a kayak and a paddle board. Find that I spend 95% of the time on the board inshore or offshore. They are great on the flats. Fishing paddle boards are a lot more stable than the board you will rent. They are a lot of fun to fish on. The board is not for everyone, but for me it's the way I like to fish.
    quatin wrote: »
    I've been really tempted on getting a paddle board too. The first time I rented one in the keys, it only took 5-10 minutes for me to get used to the balance and I was off. The high vantage point really allows you to spot stuff you never would've gotten close enough to spot in a kayak. I was following tarpon and small groupers around just in the swim area.

I can totally see paddle boards replace kayaks for flats fishing. You can paddle some kayaks standing up, but they are all too bulky to get any distance with. However, you can cruise around all day on a light paddle board. All that needs to happen is for a manufacturer to deck one out for fishing. A paddle board/kayak hybrid would be really ideal here.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    I enjoyed that!
    I keep meaning to buy a paddleboard, but Hobie's new models have me saving up for that instead. Maybe 2015 will be the year of the SUP.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    quatin wrote: »
    All that needs to happen is for a manufacturer to deck one out for fishing. A paddle board/kayak hybrid would be really ideal here.

That's what pete rides! IMO dragonfly boards are the closest thing you are going to get true fishing paddle board. Watch some of pete's videos on youtube and you'll see why. He has that thing decked out. It's got ton's of rod holders, a cooler, fish finder, lights, push pole. stake out pole. and tie downs! I also wouldn't be as scared to go over an oyster bar with his board like I am mine..

My only concern and draw back I feel is that it isn't filled with foam.. but then again neither are the kayaks everyone takes offshore. I like that added security but that's just me..
  • waterbobwaterbob Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    As another who has converted from seated to stand-up fishing, I'll add that not only does it change your view of what's under the surface, it's also better to be able to move and change positions to keep the blood flowing good in all your parts!

I have a hybrid (Versa Board) and an inflatable SUP. Both have their charms and help put me on fish, fresh and salt.