Plan to Stop Biscayne National Park Closings

Mods, please don't merge this with the other threads.

Guys, I'm very concerned about the park service plan to close the most productive fishing grounds in BNP, along with other restrictions they are planning as part of their Preferred Alternative 6 management plan. I've attended most of these meetings in the past couple years and it seems the park service going to try an move forward with their plan. There has been lots of talk here about doing something, but if we don't get organized we are going to be SOL. I've thought about a dozen things we can do to get this moving from contacting politicians (have already), contacting local tackle shops (have already), handing out flyers at a marina (did two years ago), local talk radio, local print media, and others. Point is we have to get organized as a group to get our voices heard. We need a plan, volunteers, and money in order to do what really needs to be done. I am willing to contribute time and money to an organized effort to stop the park service from shutting down so many areas. I know of a handful of guys who are also in for time and $$. To get the ball rolling I figure we need a dozen or so volunteers to get the word out about the parks plans. To this end I've registered an email address so that those of us that are interested in actually doing something about this can begin to organize. The email address I've registered is [email protected]. After we get a group together we will likely end up needing a FB page, a website, and we may need to register a not-for profit if we plan on collecting $$ for expenses (printing, website, media, and maybe even a lawyer). Hunters recently went through something similar in Big Cypress and won a court victory providing them with access to lands that the park service was restricting. If one of you knows more about the fight the hungers underwent it might be helpful here. I'm ready to take some action on this, but I cannot do a damned thing on my own.

For those that don't read long posts, email me at [email protected] if you are interested in participating in an organized effort to stop the closures.

Replies

• Make It HappenMake It Happen Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    I'm on board. As for $$ for expenses there are many ways to raise funds, something as simple as doing a nautical garage sale of our unwanted or unused gear, or something as elaborate as to start a fishing tournament. We will be in touch. I think it is imperative we get this going for our children and children of our children so that they too may enjoy the recourses we have enjoyed over the years.
    Wet the hook,keep the line tight, bend the rod & stay connected fish on
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,662 Captain
    I'm on board. As for $$ for expenses there are many ways to raise funds, something as simple as doing a nautical garage sale of our unwanted or unused gear, or something as elaborate as to start a fishing tournament. We will be in touch. I think it is imperative we get this going for our children and children of our children so that they too may enjoy the recourses we have enjoyed over the years.

agree entirely!

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain

I like your idea about thinking of our children and beyond. My son enjoys the Biscayne park fishing and lobstering. It would be nice if our children's children's children and beyond could fish there as did I.
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Posts: 212 Deckhand
    I'm in!
  • gdholbrookgdholbrook Posts: 480 Deckhand
    How about a flotilla of boats peacefully gathering in the park? Media can be alerted to see if they will cover it. A hundred boats rafted up in protest should get some attention...
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    gdholbrook wrote: »
    How about a flotilla of boats peacefully gathering in the park? Media can be alerted to see if they will cover it. A hundred boats rafted up in protest should get some attention...

The folks sure are happy to tie up for Columbus Day!