New Ballistic

2

Replies

  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    I was also considering retiring my FI reels (3-3000, 1-4000) in favor of the new Ballistic EX reels. I have last year's 2000 Ballisitc for fresh water and it is really sweet. Does the EX have a worm gear oscillation? I would like to check out a schematic on the EX. The FI's are just so **** easy to tear down and clean!
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    I was also considering retiring my FI reels (3-3000, 1-4000) in favor of the new Ballistic EX reels. I have last year's 2000 Ballisitc for fresh water and it is really sweet. Does the EX have a worm gear oscillation? I would like to check out a schematic on the EX. The FI's are just so **** easy to tear down and clean!

    pretty sure it's locomotive style , like the top of the line certate and saltiga.
  • XirmevXirmev Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Will this reel be good for working top water (4000)? Im thinking about buying one!
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    Xirmev wrote: »
    Will this reel be good for working top water (4000)? Im thinking about buying one!

    for a medium power inshore setup ,I'd go with the 2500 or 3000. medium heavy to heavy , 4000.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    johnD wrote: »
    for a medium power inshore setup ,I'd go with the 2500 or 3000. medium heavy to heavy , 4000.

    Any thoughts about how the new EX 4k stacks up against the new 'gosa SW 6k ?
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • XirmevXirmev Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    johnD wrote: »
    for a medium power inshore setup ,I'd go with the 2500 or 3000. medium heavy to heavy , 4000.

    Where i fish we have snooks, barracudas, snappers, jacks and tarpons. I fish from shore, thinking about the 4000 or 3000, but i dont think the 3000 would hold up a tarpon.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    Any thoughts about how the new EX 4k stacks up against the new 'gosa SW 6k ?


    lot's negativity towards the new gosa on surftalk. that's about all I know.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,178 Admiral
    I feel there is too much emphasis on the smoothness of a reel vs build. Gosa is a great example as the battle and some others. Some of the ole coffee grinders are still kicking though they don't have that silky feel to them. Alan will even mention where they will use soft metal (sacrificial) gears to soften the ride. Tolerances can be a hate and love relationship depending on how you use or care for you equipment.

    Not to mention a thread which speaks of a 2500 caliber reel that turns into a giant permit or wahoo scenario. And drags are way over rated!
    I would never use more than 5- 8 lb drag with a 2500 class reel unless I was fishing mangroves and docks and then I'd palm the spool. Some people just want the reel to do everything these days I guess without sacrifice and ***** about it. Whatever!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,178 Admiral
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    johnD wrote: »
    pretty sure it's locomotive style , like the top of the line certate and saltiga.

    $200 reel and it doesn't have worm gear oscilation, can someone clarify? If so, I guess I'll will stick with my old trusted FI's. I would love to find a reel that lays down braid as well as an old DAIWA SS but with the modern day advances like balanced rotor and instant anti-reverse. Those old SS reels lay line perfectly.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I bought a new 4k EX w/the plan to put it on my new High End Custom Cobia Rod & chase Cobia w/it this Spring... Anybody worried that it's not up to that fishery ? Some of our Cobia can get pretty big up here, but rarely does one ever run off >~100yds w/~15lbs of drag...

    I would venture to say that you won't get too many miles out of a 4000 series reel, especially a "finesse" reel, if you will be fighting big fish w 15# of drag.

    Sure your car's redline is 6500, but keep driving it at that rpm and... you get the picture.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    $200 reel and it doesn't have worm gear oscilation, can someone clarify? If so, I guess I'll will stick with my old trusted FI's. I would love to find a reel that lays down braid as well as an old DAIWA SS but with the modern day advances like balanced rotor and instant anti-reverse. Those old SS reels lay line perfectly.

    Just because it doesn't have a worm gear driven oscillation, doesn't mean it won't lay the line down perfect (penn is the only one that can't figure that out on their cheaper reels)..Not sure where you heard that , but your theory is false. I'm 99.9% sure it's locomotive style. Just like the older ballistic ,team daiwa advantage, certate , saltiga , shimano saragosa and spheros, which all have perfect line lay...But , believe whatever you want to believe in , don't listen to me.


    2z5zURf.jpg
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,199 AG
    Is the Ballistic the reel that replaced the team advantage?
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Not trying to cause waves but my 2000 Ballisitc lays mono well but have yet to try braid as that's a whole different beast. Anybody have pics of a ballistic with braid?
  • aquaholikaquaholik Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Split Shot wrote: »
    Alan will even mention where they will use soft metal (sacrificial) gears to soften the ride. Tolerances can be a hate and love relationship depending on how you use or care for you equipment.

    Not to mention a thread which speaks of a 2500 caliber reel that turns into a giant permit or wahoo scenario. And drags are way over rated!
    I would never use more than 5- 8 lb drag with a 2500 class reel unless I was fishing mangroves and docks and then I'd palm the spool. Some people just want the reel to do everything these days I guess without sacrifice and ***** about it. Whatever!

    Most 2500 size reels are really finesse flat reels. Smooth, quiet, long cast, flat line lay and if you put 5+ lbs of drag on it regularly, be prepare to change the pinion bearing often because your reel won't be smooth and quiet for long.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Is the Ballistic the reel that replaced the team advantage?

    This one here , Joe. The Procyon , $150 retail for the 2500. Aluminum body 7+1 bearings.

    http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=742

    eGlkFhe.jpg
  • XirmevXirmev Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Anyone know how many yards of 30# braid would the 300 hold? Im trying to decide between the 3000 and 4000.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    300 is the size of a shimano/penn 4000, I'd say 200ish of 30, 220 is my guess.
  • captkylekelsocaptkylekelso Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Used them for a year or two on charters... the 4000. Barely ever greased it. Held up to people dropping them accidentally on the deck and they have excellent drag and stopping power.
    Capt. Kyle Kelso
    All Water Charters
    Key West, FL
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Got this close to 5#er today to break in my new 2500. Have 10# 832. Casts nice, I must have gotten a loop at some point around the bottom of the spool, saw one once, missed one, casted and got a serious bunch of loops/tangles around the first guide. Somehow managed to get it out. That was the only issue. Casts nice, smooth retrieve, drag feels and works and sounds great, no complaints.
    Loop was my fault, but I've never gotten one on my shimanos, so they still get my pick. But these things are a really nice competitor to the ci4 stuff.
    Gonna try a trip to flamingo tomorrow, hoping to get something out there.
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Nice!! Let me ask, does it spool braid as evenly as the FI and FJ?
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    Got this close to 5#er today to break in my new 2500. Have 10# 832. Casts nice, I must have gotten a loop at some point around the bottom of the spool, saw one once, missed one, casted and got a serious bunch of loops/tangles around the first guide. Somehow managed to get it out. That was the only issue. Casts nice, smooth retrieve, drag feels and works and sounds great, no complaints.
    Loop was my fault, but I've never gotten one on my shimanos, so they still get my pick. But these things are a really nice competitor to the ci4 stuff.
    Gonna try a trip to flamingo tomorrow, hoping to get something out there.


    Nice! Glad you're liking it so far. I might do a review of my favorite 9oz reels and put it up depending on how interesting it gets… figure 3000FJ, 2500EX, 4000Ci4+.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    super , it's not overfilled is it ? that's usually culprit if you get some wraps under the spool when you're not paying attention.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Thanks, I'd say it lays line pretty evenly. They have their own line management thing like shimanos propulsion. Looks good to me.
    Na it's not overfilled, if I had more braid I would have put more.
    Wouldn't you know, whip out a cast today with my ci4 and get a very similar thing happen, I can't fault the reels, both times, it was the first time using the newly spooled braid on each reel. Couldn't save the line on the ci4 today, lost a bit, but everything is good now.
    Got a decent 24,25 inch red today, tough conditions, didn't even know it was on. Reel handled it no sweat.
    I like the reel. Always wanted a daiwa. Glad they changed the handle.
  • bluewater34bluewater34 Posts: 98 Deckhand
    Awesome new inshore reels.....smooth.....
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Nice! Glad you're liking it so far. I might do a review of my favorite 9oz reels and put it up depending on how interesting it gets… figure 3000FJ, 2500EX, 4000Ci4+.

    Great reels. Really like this ballistic, all I want to use lately, which is making me want to get out to do that, which is great.
    Kinda feel bad for my 1000 ci4 which is really new, wanting to use that, but hey.
    Got a nice 4# bass on the ex today, and a nice 4+ peacock early. really trying to put it through my paces.
  • PHOTOPHOTO Posts: 145 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    Great reels. Really like this ballistic, all I want to use lately, which is making me want to get out to do that, which is great.
    Kinda feel bad for my 1000 ci4 which is really new, wanting to use that, but hey.
    Got a nice 4# bass on the ex today, and a nice 4+ peacock early. really trying to put it through my paces.

    Did you buy the reel locally? If so, where??
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    PHOTO wrote: »
    Did you buy the reel locally? If so, where??

    Yeah, Kendall bait and tackle had some, I'd probably call them to see what sizes they have, I got the last 2500 they had last week.
  • XirmevXirmev Posts: 15 Greenhorn
Sign In or Register to comment.