Home Egret Boats

Re-Power timing...

2»

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    My mechanic told me the same thing. I don't know that the Merc is "unproven " but it is a one off motor and it is yet unclear as to whether it will be continued and the line added to.

I have been on Saltwater Junkie's boat and the Suzy 140 does a good job. Not sure about the service and longevity.

I got the Yamie 150 because it is a tried and true work horse with beaucoup service options. It is heavier but the physics of the boat require 600 lbs of downward pressure spread evenly to push it down an inch. An extra 50 pounds on the stern can easily be compensated for with fuel, cooler, angler up front. And it does help resale.

I know why the gofast guys don't like it for the weight, torque, etc. but it is a very reliable motor and works great for me. The numbers I have previously posted are with FULL fuel AND live well. I will be posting numbers with more average loads soon. I also installed a 4 blade prop and with post how that affects performance as well.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »
    Got a quote of 14k for either the 150 merc 4 stroke or the Suzy 140 4 stroke. This includes the Nema 2000 setup, all new cables gauges, controls (remote), installation and taxes or OTD price. Resale favors the Merc however this is a new unproven motor while the Suzuki has been around for a while. Hard decision!

So what is the price for them to install a new engine and controls that you have delivered to them? That is the question. They are adding $4k to install and add cables/controls? That is way too much for that. You can buy the engine for $10k. What is their breakdown of costs for all the items and the labor? Down in the keys everything is more. Check some dealers in FTL and compare. The engine itself should be about $10k even.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Glenn, the engine is 10k in addition to cables and controls they will setup the nema 2000 gateway so I can use the Lowrance to monitor the engine functions and new gauges. They will also store my Yammie no charge until sold should I decide to go with them
  • rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Just fyi Mike, I paid $11,500.00 for full boat on Suzuki 140 and all controls, NEMA installation, new hydraulic steering ram and 6 year warranty!

INSTALAT
    mtd885 wrote: »
    Glenn, the engine is 10k in addition to cables and controls they will setup the nema 2000 gateway so I can use the Lowrance to monitor the engine functions and new gauges. They will also store my Yammie no charge until sold should I decide to go with them
  • rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Mike,
    They were Wavebreaker on the N side of St Augustine, but sold out to First Coast Marine Sales & Service Inc
    2101 Dobbs Rd, St Augustine, FL 32086
    (904) 823-1141
    Same people involved in the new digs though.
    They treated me very fairly, and did a great job on installation. Probably too far North for you, but at least a barometer of where the pricing should or might be.
    Thanks Brian. I'm leaning toward the Merc with a 7 year warranty. I won't have to raise the poling platform like I would for the Yammie which is 30 lbs heavier as well. I am looking on the mainland to see if I'm getting a decent deal down in the Keys
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Also the Suzuki have a steel steering arm which rusts. Not sure if they changed the design yet. I'm sure Pete will comment on this!
    Hmm I thought any sign of corrosion was considered to be SOAP DODGING and not bad choice of material or poor installation by the builder... :)
    Martin, even the Suzy dealer copped to corrosion issues. The steel used is not highest quality nor stainless. The motor itself is probably mechanically superior. I'm leaning toward the Merc because there are two dealers within 20 miles of the Cudjoe house.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    Hmm I thought any sign of corrosion was considered to be SOAP DODGING and not bad choice of material or poor installation by the builder... :)

No Soap Dodging is more like the hose and go Mariner!
    The steering tube attachment i'm referring to is actually the main shaft coming from the swivel bracket on the front of Suzuki motor itself! Not the Uflex Steering!

I was thinking the Alligators got you or you have been wet sanding and buffing all those scratches out from the Wally the gator capture!:fishing