Home Egret Boats

Re-Power timing...

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
I'm going to re-power as I've mentioned before. I'm pretty much sold on the SHO 150 Yammie so I do not need to switch controls. Are there any upgrades I should make to steering? Will buying at the next boat show save me any $$ or benefit me? Thanks!

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I'm going to re-power as I've mentioned before. I'm pretty much sold on the SHO 150 Yammie so I do not need to switch controls. Are there any upgrades I should make to steering? Will buying at the next boat show save me any $$ or benefit me? Thanks!

When I looked into it, the parts including those for annual maintenance on the yamaha are about 3x the cost of the others. It's a pretty substantive difference in the cost to annual service since you are not going to be doing it yourself. An alternative is probably less money for the engine itself which would more than offset the cost of the different control rigging too.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I'm going to re-power as I've mentioned before. I'm pretty much sold on the SHO 150 Yammie so I do not need to switch controls. Are there any upgrades I should make to steering? Will buying at the next boat show save me any $$ or benefit me? Thanks![/QUOTE

Usually, during the shows they have extended warranty promotions. Check around before the show to see what the dealers are willing to pay for your motor. At least you'll have an idea what it's worth if they consider trade ins. Maybe you can sell it out right and make a little more money. Good Luck... Pete
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I would also agree on the cost of maintenance on the Yamaha's!

Go with the 150 Mercury 4 stroke very easy to maintenance yourself and will cost less !
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    See PM. I m not sure the HO is worth the extra money over the regular Yamaha. My neighbor has the Merc 150 on a new Moccasin and is very happy. I had a regular Yami 150 on an 189 and it ran just over 50 with a 3 blade stock prop. I would also look at a Suzuki 175 over the SHO 150. More everything for less cash. I put one in service in March with Electronic controls and have not look back at all the gray in my past.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    didn't he say he was set on a motor?? Show or not deals can be made any time with a dealer that is motivated to sell.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    One thing I forgot. I don't believe the motor will fit under the stock sized poling tower and tilt forward enough unless the tower is modified!
    Another cost not factored in!

The 150 SHO is 1.6 inches taller!
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    taller than my VMax?
    O that's right!
    The 150 V Max HPDI motor is 65.15748 inches
    The 150 SHO is 68.58268 inches
    All dimensions are from Yamaha
    So yes even taller!
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    If you're still looking

http://yamahaoutboards.com/yamaha-advantage/news/company-news/yamaha%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Cwhy-wait-buy-now%E2%80%9D-retail-promotion-offers-added-value

October 1st---November 18th for additional Y.E.S. warranty.

If trying to make deal at Fort Lauderdale Boat Show--Discount tickets @ $2.50 each.

http://www.bennettauto.com/boatshow/

Good Luck
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    If you're still looking

http://yamahaoutboards.com/yamaha-advantage/news/company-news/yamaha%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Cwhy-wait-buy-now%E2%80%9D-retail-promotion-offers-added-value

October 1st---November 18th for additional Y.E.S. warranty.

If trying to make deal at Fort Lauderdale Boat Show--Discount tickets @ $2.50 each.

http://www.bennettauto.com/boatshow/

Good Luck

The yammie dealer on big pine told me he is changing his relationship w/Yamaha and promised me a good deal. We will see :)
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    The yammie dealer on big pine told me he is changing his relationship w/Yamaha and promised me a good deal. We will see :)

175HPDI or Merc 175ProXS. Anything is better than that 4-cylinder slug Yamaha calls a "150."
    TGunn wrote: »
    175HPDI or Merc 175ProXS. Anything is better than that 4-cylinder slug Yamaha calls a "150."

Tommy why the 175 pro xs and not the 150 pro xs? $1300 cheaper. Money has become an issue lately my purchase is now price dependent.
    Tommy why the 175 pro xs and not the 150 pro xs? $1300 cheaper. Money has become an issue lately my purchase is now price dependent.

The merc pro xs line is too loud.. You won't like the noise on anything longer than a short run..
    I hate the drone of it.
    Yeah, I know but I'm price shopping now so I have to reconsider all options. I remember you had yours shipped (jacos?). I'm o.k with DF 140 if price is right. Btw I replaced that gas cap assembly, what a PITA, my hands are all cut up!
    I can't stress this enough to you again! The new 150 Mercury 4 Stroke will be quiet powerful and less weight than what you have and better fuel economy than a F-150 or F-150 SHO. It is easy to maintain and has a lower profile than the Yamaha's! Also since price is a issue now it will be cheaper! Yes you need to change out the gauges and controls but in the long run a better motor for your application.

Mercury is also offering financing or rebates currently on repowers to boot!

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/promotions/

https://mercurymarine-gsdesign1.netdna-ssl.com/media/filer_public/4a/0b/4a0b8e73-f1c9-47b0-ae77-774963d12760/2030_repowerrev_promosht.pdf

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/fourstroke/150-hp/
    you can get the 4 stroke 150 merc at jacos for $10,010 and I am not sure if tax applies since they are out of state. I cant remember if I paid tax on it. The cost to rig it up to your boat with the new controls would add maybe $1500 or so about $11.5k all in? No oil tank so all things considered the 455lbs weight is about the same as a pro xs 175 with oil tank.
    They will ship it to your local dealer of choice to install. I think you wont likely have to mess with your platform height. The folks at murray marine do a good job in my experience with merc. Not sure what you could get for your current motor.
    Compare that the quoted local dealer all in price and check their costs to install a shipped in motor. Perhaps they would just match the jacos price and in that case that is even better.
    you can get the 4 stroke 150 merc at jacos for $10,010 and I am not sure if tax applies since they are out of state. I cant remember if I paid tax on it. The cost to rig it up to your boat with the new controls would add maybe $1500 or so about $11.5k all in? No oil tank so all things considered the 455lbs weight is about the same as a pro xs 175 with oil tank.
    They will ship it to your local dealer of choice to install. I think you wont likely have to mess with your platform height. The folks at murray marine do a good job in my experience with merc. Not sure what you could get for your current motor.
    Compare that the quoted local dealer all in price and check their costs to install a shipped in motor. Perhaps they would just match the jacos price and in that case that is even better.

Not that you're into having big black powerful things behind you....But just in case you decide to go that way maybe you should consider a Suzuki 140. It's about 50 lbs. lighter 10 inches less, did I just say 10 inches I meant 10 HP less.:grin Good Luck which ever way you decide to go or should I say swing. All the best...Take Care...Pete

PS. I like my little black powerful something something on the back of my trashy boat. It works really well with the weights and balance of the boat.
    Not that you're into having big black powerful things behind you....But just in case you decide to go that way maybe you should consider a Suzuki 140. It's about 50 lbs. lighter 10 inches less, did I just say 10 inches I meant 10 HP less.:grin Good Luck which ever way you decide to go or should I say swing. All the best...Take Care...Pete

PS. I like my little black powerful something something on the back of my trashy boat. It works really well with the weights and balance of the boat.

I hear that parts availability with the Zukes is poor in the keys when compared to merc which has excellent availability.

I thought you were running the DF140 Pete???
    I thought you were running the DF140 Pete???

Yep something like that. It's a Suzuki 140 HP 4 stroke.
    OK STAGE one complete we have a dealer coming by in a little while to give an estimate on the Merc150 4stroke and the 140 Suzy. The big diff between the two is pretty much a corrosion issue w/Susie's which have zincs all over the place on that motor, 1 year more warranty on Suzy no charge. The merc charges 200 for extended warranty, extra 400 to set up nema and has 10 extra ponies. The dealer will also store my yammie at no charge until it is sold, he said I could get 3k for the HPDI Vmax 150 with controls...the advice of others? Forgot to add 1k rebate on Merc no rebate on Suzy.
    Also the Suzuki have a steel steering arm which rusts. Not sure if they changed the design yet. I'm sure Pete will comment on this!
    You must also look at the displacement of the two motors. The Mercury has is larger and will generate more torque and speed which will not just be 10 extra ponies over the Suzuki DF140. The extended warranty is worth it for the Mercury and the NMEA 2000 gateway is a no brainer! Hope you make the right choice!

By the way where's my coffee this info isn't cheap lots of time and effort put in here!
    I have a new french press waiting. :grin
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Also the Suzuki have a steel steering arm which rusts. Not sure if they changed the design yet. I'm sure Pete will comment on this!
    You must also look at the displacement of the two motors. The Mercury has is larger and will generate more torque and speed which will not just be 10 extra ponies over the Suzuki DF140. The extended warranty is worth it for the Mercury and the NMEA 2000 gateway is a no brainer! Hope you make the right choice!

By the way where's my coffee this info isn't cheap lots of time and effort put in here!
    I have a new french press waiting. :grin

The steering arm on my motor is a rusty mess. That is the only think I hate about this motor.

In fact, I spoke with the Suzuki Top dog for the US last year and told him what I thought. He said they would be addressing it in a year or two. I told him to make sure that it fits the older motors.

On a separate note the engine runs great. Not a single mechanical or electrical issue in 6 years. Looking forward to when they come out with a better steering arm so I can replace it.

My top speed with full fuel ready for a charter by myself with a cooler, rods, with water in the baitwell, was 46mph.

Yes, I would buy another 140. Good Luck... Pete
    I'm getting a quote for each of these tomorrow. Phil shoot me upr snail mail addy. The guy came by just now and took measurements and pics.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I'm getting a quote for each of these tomorrow. Phil shoot me upr snail mail addy. The guy came by just now and took measurements and pics.

Don't think you can go wrong either way - more power or better fuel econ and weight balance. I had a 250 zuk 4 stroke on one of my 12 boats - it was the best motor I ever had.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    MTD,

Suzuki makes a good motor but they can be tough to find [good] service for. With Merc at least you'll have a few options wherever you are.

You should also consider resale value.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Suzuki 175 is 475 lbs and is 2.5-1 lower unit (same as the 300's)

Mercury 150 is 450lbs and 1.92-1 lower unit

Suzuki 140 is 400 lbs and 2.59-1

I would consider the 175 also.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    TGunn wrote: »
    MTD,

You should also consider resale value.

Then 4 stroke would be better. I think they are all good. Get the best deal you can get.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Then 4 stroke would be better. I think they are all good. Get the best deal you can get.

They are both 4 strokes Frank. I'll know more today...thanks
    Got a quote of 14k for either the 150 merc 4 stroke or the Suzy 140 4 stroke. This includes the Nema 2000 setup, all new cables gauges, controls (remote), installation and taxes or OTD price. Resale favors the Merc however this is a new unproven motor while the Suzuki has been around for a while. Hard decision!