Best Charters in San Juan PR for Inshore species

ManbeastManbeast Posts: 34 Deckhand
Heading to PR for a wedding in October. Any insight as to what charter and what the best fishing is at this time frame would be helpful and appreciated
Shipoke 18. Hoppin Chop, gettin skinny.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,798 AG
    There is a company who charters for Tarpon in the lakes near the airport at San Juan...I think Henry washed-up (sp) :grin did a show with them....maybe search " fishing the flats" and see if the show is archived....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 623 Officer
    Omar Orraca (fishinginpuertorico.com) and Magic Tarpon are both reputable. I booked a charter with fishinginpuertorico.com in Feb 2013 for my dad, brother & myself. I thought we would be getting Omar himself as our guide, but we did not. He has a couple of other guides that work for him. Our guide was "Griff". We had a great trip, and I would definitely recommend this company. We did an afternoon half-day. Griff thought the fishing was slow. I jumped 8 tarpon myself, and my brother jumped 5. They were all small fish (~5-25 lb). We only landed one each, but that was not the guide's fault. We caught a couple small snook also. Dad just watched. If I were to do it again, I would book a morning trip rather than an afternoon. My impression is that the fishing is even better in the AM.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,798 AG
    Magic Tarpon was the company I was thinking of....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • XirmevXirmev Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Ive heard good things about Magic Tarpon (you can check them out at fb), they will take you fishing to San Jose And Torrecilla lagoons, best places for tarpons here in Puerto Rico. I live in a condo next to the Torrecilla lagoon, ive had best luck fishing early in the morning or late at night. Hope you have a great time here, Manbeast!
  • ManbeastManbeast Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Thanks for input. Ive been steady on the tarpon here in ft lauderdale and Miami. I was wondering how the fishing for other inshore species is around San Juan. I saw a bonefish/permit charter but nothing is really telling me it will be a worth while experience. However offshore tuna wahoo n sails start going off in October. Also mutton and other bottom fish. Have any suggestions regarding the permit/bones or offshore charters.
    Shipoke 18. Hoppin Chop, gettin skinny.