Baitwell pump and washdown pump

warbird226warbird226 Posts: 36 Deckhand
Is it better to have two separate pumps or will a washdown/baitwell combo pump be fine? Currently, I have configuration for two, but I would like to streamline and cleanup switches and wires. Any thoughts?

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    It really depends on how much bait you carry and what kind of bait. I generally use my wash-down right after using the cast net. I have a live-well full of fresh bait and that's really when they need lots of water. I don't want to be redirecting water from my bait well at that particular time. But if you use mullet, shrinp or penfish, they are more hardy and can tolerate less water while you are diverting some water for you're wash-down.

Additionally, the bait pump will not produce the equivalent pressure of a wash-down pump. You'll get volume, but not as much pressure. Before you make any permanent changes, connect a hose to the wash-down outlet and see if you can be satisfied with the volume and pressure produced by the bait pump.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I've seen many a fishing trip saved by using the washdown pump to supply water to the livewell after the livewell pump died mid trip...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    I've seen many a fishing trip saved by using the washdown pump to supply water to the livewell after the livewell pump died mid trip...

Exactly, I've done it myself.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,011 Officer
    Keep them seperate
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,336 Moderator
    As everyone has mentioned, its best to keep them separate. This doesn't mean you need two thru hulls to pull water from. Many livewell pumps come with an outlet port. This allows you to feed both pumps from one seacock.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    The Mod said 'seacock' lol...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,336 Moderator
    :B

:grin

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • warbird226warbird226 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Excellent points. My washdown is down and my livewell is on its last leg. I can only afford one right now. It will have to be the livewell. Thanks guys.
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer

Yep, me three. I was in the middle of Boca Grade pass in a school of Tarpon when mine died. The quick disconnects of the Rule pumps made is easy just to swap them around and keep our bait alive.
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,011 Officer
    gumgator wrote: »
    Yep, me three. I was in the middle of Boca Grade pass in a school of Tarpon when mine died. The quick disconnects of the Rule pumps made is easy just to swap them around and keep our bait alive.

I put a small buss bar to which I wire my bait pumps. I keep a spare cartridge with the terminal ends already on it.
    Literally takes longer to dig out the spare than to change it.
  • warbird226warbird226 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Turns out my Shurflo was still under warranty! I got a brand new one from West Marine, NO HAGGLE return! Very happy!!!! Thank you West Marine, Jensen Beach!!!