Anybody still fishing with a GLX Classic?

tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one still using the old GLX rods? I have been through the RPLX, RPLXi, XI2, TCX, Z-Axis and One but have always gone back to my old 9' 9wt GLX Classic (FR1089-4 GLX). Matter of fact, I was a guide in Bozeman MT for years and was sponsored by Sage and used their rods on guided trips but always used my 9' 5wt and 9'6wt GLX Classics when I was out for pleasure.

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao Hahahahahahahhaa....I'm still using one generation older.....IMX!!!! And in my opinion, there is still nothing better. That said, I would own a GLX in a 9 wt. and down from there, all the way to a fresh water 3 wt. ...AS LONG AS I can get those light rods soft enough. Even in IMX, my 4 wt. handles a 6 wt. line with ease. My 3 wt. is a 7 ft. GL-4 blank.....you can almost shoot pool with the same blank in IMX and I'm sure GLX is worse.

For me, from the GLX days, on forward, I have been fearful of the durability of these rods, and from any mfgr., not just Loomis. To make the next generation lighter, new materials have been developed that enable that lighter, stiffer blank....but usually, that means a thinner walled blank as well. I see the day coming when the slightest scratch on the blank of a fly rod, will end up in its demise on the next fish, if not the next cast. For the lighter rods, this might not be so much of a problem, since we usually don't put nearly as much pressure on them. But rods from 10 wt. on up through 12 and even 15, this could be a problem as we're trying to put 15-20 lbs. of pressure on a fish.

That's just me....I'm an old fart who doesn't even intentionally chase big tarpon anymore. I still have a few 12 wts., but don't intend to use them again.
    .......Rick
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    I still have an original UL spinning rod in the IM6 series and it's still going strong. I think I purchased it back in the very early 90's. Anyway, the GLX is a bit more delicate than the IMX series and a lot lighter in weight due to a whole new exclusive graphite that Gary Loomis conjured up. The GLX was light years ahead of the competition as Sage finally started using a graphite scrim on it's rods only a handful of years ago. I still feel the GLX series of rods are the best rods ever produced to this day.
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    I have 9' 9wt GLX 4 piece that sits on my shelf collecting dust. It was my "goto" rod for years.
  • Bill BlantonBill Blanton Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    I still have old black GLX rods in 3-, 6-, 8- and 9-weight, all two-piece. Don't get much chance to use the 3, but I like the 6 for trout fishing or wintertime snook and reds. The 8-weight used to be my favorite, but I've set it aside for more contemporary rods in that line size. The 9-weight GLX is still one of the best-ever 9-weight rods. I don't use it too often, but every time I do, I'm amazed at how capable it is.
    Fly fish the Everglades with Capt. Bill Blanton
    www.flyfishtheglades.com
    (239) 253-8899
    In thinking further on this.....does Loomis still make GLX? Is the same blank material hidden under a different number denomination or model name? I remember the same for IMX, back in the mid-90's for a brief while it was called "GL-4". After that, I think that the IMX material got buried within the nomenclature of yet another more entry level rod. In other words, "IMX" hasn't been around since GLX was brought out, about 1992-93. But the material was/is in Loomis rods since then.

All that said, I'd like to cast my vote for IMX being more of a "classic" rod material, simply due to its longevity. I see here people with GLX rods, but no one yet has chimed in as having a 10-12 wt rod. I am sure plenty were sold but I wonder if it held up as well as IMX in the heavier weights. I know that I have a 10 and 2/12 wts. in IMX....all still going strong.
    .......Rick
    I have 9' 9wt GLX 4 piece that sits on my shelf collecting dust. It was my "goto" rod for years.

Can I ask, what did you replace the GLX with? I have tried the Cross Current GLX but still prefer the GLX Classic. As for a previous comment, I did rec' a GL4 (matte green) as a warranty replacement to my beloved 8wt GLX Classic years ago and it was sold rather quickly as I felt it behaved differently than the Classic.

The GL3 is a wonderful, durable rod that can withstand some serious abuse.
    Can I ask, what did you replace the GLX with? I have tried the Cross Current GLX but still prefer the GLX Classic. As for a previous comment, I did rec' a GL4 (matte green) as a warranty replacement to my beloved 8wt GLX Classic years ago and it was sold rather quickly as I felt it behaved differently than the Classic.

The GL3 is a wonderful, durable rod that can withstand some serious abuse.

That GL-4 might have been IMX......was it a little softer/slower than your GLX? If it was, I didn't know they made them in green also. You're right about the GL-3.....that was originally Loomis' generation I material (shiny finish), just before IM6. They are very strong and durable, perfect IMO, for a beginner into sight fishing or for someone who does a lot of blind casting all day.
    .......Rick
    Yes, the GL4 was a short run for Loomis and was matte green that replaced the IMX series. It was a tad bit heavier and not as lively in the hand, almost sluggish feeling.

Premier (Gloss gray) - GL2 (matte black/blue)
    IM6 (Gloss maroon) - GL3 (Matte black)
    IMX (Matte slate unfinished) - GL4 (Matte green)
    GLX (Same as IMX)-GLX

They use(d) fiberglass scrim in the Premier/GL2, IM6/GL3 blanks and graphite scrim in the IMX and GLX series. This decreased weight but took away some hoop strength. The GLX graphite was/is the only graphite specifically made for fishing rods per Gary Loomis, all other graphites were standard production recipes. No doubt that Gary was light years ahead of the competition back when he owned the company before selling to Shimano.
  • Bill@NSB[email protected] Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Yes, I still have an 8wt GLX classic. I liked it better than the GLX crosscurrent series.
    Although, I do fish with the NRX series now and like them best.
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    I fish an old 8 weight GLX "mega" and love it, it's an 8'6 3 piece. Just something about the feel of the rod that makes it awesome. Never heard of one from any other folks though, just the glx classics. Anybody have insight on this rod? (year made)
    I fish an old 8 weight GLX "mega" and love it, it's an 8'6 3 piece. Just something about the feel of the rod that makes it awesome. Never heard of one from any other folks though, just the glx classics. Anybody have insight on this rod? (year made)

If I remember right, the Mega series were all 8-1/2' 3pc rods and were labeled as 7/8, 8/9, 10/11, etc. Also, they had a stiffer butt section and larger fighting butts. Great rods that show up on auction from time to time. Sure wished they made these in 4pc versions.
  • crccrc Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    8wt 9' is my go to light rod. I shoulda never sold my old 2pc 10-11wt 8'6" that was a cool rod.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    I caught my first "grand slam" on a Loomis GLX 9 wt, now I use the same rod in a 10 wt.

Carl
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    I have the "mega" in the 10/11 size, I think I caught my first tarpon with it, Its also my favorite lead rod in the delta and for up north for salmon.....I love the fat butt and soft tip.

Carl
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 994 Officer
    Yup….got a GLX 10wt. 2-piece that I use for Striped Bass from the beach. Still looks new……….
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Posts: 1,255 Officer
    Have a 9' #8 weight GL-4 in the rod racks that should get out on the water more than it has......
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Well.... I was given 19 fly rods and a dozen reels tonight from my brother. He bought them all from 94-2000. Only used one rod/reel once. Now they are mine.. I can wait to start my new journey...
    CAF9A049-3379-4F48-9EFE-7C9BAEAAA367_zpsh0eqy6ow.jpg
    099DCF0C-491F-46DB-9D3D-0AD60770F8C2_zpsurhxwmj6.jpg
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
    Slug-O wrote: »
    Well.... I was given 19 fly rods and a dozen reels tonight from my brother. He bought them all from 94-2000. Only used one rod/reel once. Now they are mine.. I can wait to start my new journey...

You're going to need a lot of flies to fish all those rods & reels ! Enjoy the journey......
  • MudminnerMudminner Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I need a rich brother...
    Yeah I think he covered the "flies" part too. Now to figure out what goes with what...man I got a ton of books to read also..
    E7CF1F33-CAB2-44C2-AEB5-07E2325F56E5_zpsv47j9gpr.jpg
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
    Those freshwater trout flies won't get much use in Florida, but crappie & bass will strike some of them! All the rainy & really cold days are a great time to catch up on reading while you're daydreamin' you're fly fishing ! Took years to read some 700 books on flyfishing along with magazine subscriptions on the bookshelves & there's still about 10% that are on the to read list, but you'll need a week or more to clean all the fly lines & add **** loops, maybe tie some Biminis in the backing & lube the reels !
    Yeah no kidding... I have a buddy coming over who only fly fishes and he will help me. The books are piled high but I'll get through them one by one..
    Yeah no kidding... I have a buddy coming over who only fly fishes and he will help me. The books are piled high but I'll get through them one by one..

Just hope you don't have to start weighing fly lines to find which fly lines are matched to which rod & reel outfits! Book wise, one by one works for a while; until you start referencing what you've read !
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 994 Officer
    Holy Crap! You need to give me a couple of those reels…...:wink
    All the spools were/are labeled... 8 WF-F ... Ect...
    All the spools were/are labeled... 8 WF-F ... Ect...

Work creates more work, good you don't have to work that hard! I still have fly lines that were labeled & the labels either got lost or wore off over the years. Another task for a rainy day unless an opportunity arises to fish with mystery fly lines. Take those rods & reels down to the Peace River bridge & test them all on winters warmer water resident fishes!
    The first one I'm going to try is that "super 8" with one of those rods for reds...
    My grandfather did the same for me, but back in the 50's. Back then only about 5-6 people were fishing in salt water, so this was all fresh water trout and bass gear. People drooled over my good fortune, just as they are over yours, except that for me, they were drooling over Orvis and Paul Young bamboo fly rods, plus a fly tying kit that was the envy of several professionals.

PS...Take extra good care of those old Abel Big Game reels. I predict that some day they will be collectors' items, much the same as the Fin Nor wedding cakes and Seamasters of today. Take all those reel bags and put them in the washing machine....warm wash, delicate cycle. This is perhaps the best way to completely rid a bag of salt, left by months or years of salt spray. Trust me on this....I ruined 2 #3 wedding cakes by storing them in their bags for like 10 years after cleaning.

PPS....I see you also have some travel rods there, most notably, some 3-piece rods as well. IMO, any 3-piece rods 10 wt. and above should, go on display over the fireplace. Chances are, you'll be OK with 9 wts. and under, owing to the size of fish you'll be targeting with those rods, as long as you don't even come close to high sticking a fish with them. 3-piece rods are notorious for breaking at the first ferrule. That's why you don't see too many mfgrs. making them anymore these days.
    .......Rick
    Hmmmm that's some good information. Some of the Abel reels bags "foam" is breaking down and getting all over the reels. I guess I'll replace those.
    Hmmmm that's some good information. Some of the Abel reels bags "foam" is breaking down and getting all over the reels. I guess I'll replace those.

Isn't the foam encased in fabric? Is the fabric torn? If so, then "yes," replace the bag. IMO, the Abel bag (or Abel type bag) is the best in the business (because they can breathe), so replace with an Abel bag.

All that said, you can't use 19 reels at once, so I strongly recommend that you find some other kind of storage system where the reel is not stored in a bag....like a lockable display case/cabinet or something.
    .......Rick