Home Diver's Corner

Lobster with eggs in september

I have been diving the Key Largo/Islamarada area for over 30 years and never seen lobster with eggs in September. This weekend, we had to weed through 3 or 4 egged females for every one we could keep. Anyone know if this is a second spawning or just running late in the season. Water temp was 86 degrees. I would be real interested to know if anyone else has seen this before.

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,087 Admiral
    Yes, more so on the Ocean side vs. the Bay side. They can produce eggs more than once a year when water temps are consistently warm enough.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• shootin-blanksshootin-blanks Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Pulled out a 4 pounder Saturday , in 75' off Sarasota,, had eggs all over her.. put her back safety..
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I sure have seen my share of lobsters with eggs in September.
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    As an ex trapper and com diver I can tell you I believe that I have seen eggs on crawfish on every month that I ever harvested them....aug through March.....most female bugs were tarred when I caught them....high degree were anyway....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.