Islamorada 9/20-9/21

This weekend had the pleasure of taking out some clients to do some mahi fishing and some deep dropping and some bottom fishing out of islamorada.On saturday the plan was to run out for dolphin and once we caught some do some bottom fishing but everything changed once we got out there and couldnt find any mahi, we ran out to about 1200 ft and nothing, then ran to the humps and it looked like a city out there and nothing was going on there. So i decided to hit one of my shoal spots for deep dropping at about 380ft, got everything set up and let the weight go, once it hit the bottom the rod tip went NUTS! hit the switch on the krystal and boom fish on, well brought it up and come to see it was some nice red porgys, did a couple more drifts and caught 7 of them,. After that we decided to head in and catch some yellowtail for the rest of the afternoon, caught about 15 of them and called it a day.

On sunday we decided to try out the same plan as on saturday ran out for dolphin and the conditions couldnt be better, flat seas found a huge weedline at about 900ft that had a ton of life on it and worked that weed line for a while with no luck decided to head in to catch some tile fish. Once we made it to the first spot at about 600ft dropped the weight down and not 5 secs went by and boom something smacks the rod, hit the switch and it looked like we were stuck on the bottom and after a few secs the line starts coming in and after a couple mins we see color and to our surprise it was a nice tile and snowy together .

Did a couple more drifts on that spot to see if we can put some more fish in cooler and the fishing gods were on our side. we hooked up a couple more nice tiles.

For those of you that are going to talk smack no the snowy grouper were not kept the were properly vented and released back.

Till next time
Capt. Manny V.
Reel Hook'd Charters
www.facebook.com/reelhookdcharters

Replies

• copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Nice fish but 600' off Islamorada isn't State waters.
  • TidesrightTidesright Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Good report Manny. Kept em coming!
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Poached snowy is tasty!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    Deep water Snowy taste better this time of year.
    I like to prepare mine poached.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    I like mine poached as well.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,982 AG
    Go Mongo wrote: »
    Deep water Snowy taste better this time of year.
    I like to prepare mine poached.
    Half poached then into deep fryer should have a fine outcome
    :BUNNY gestapo

• ReelHookdReelHookd Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Snowys we're not kept just snapped some pics and were released guess should put that in report for all the wanna be fwc officers
    Mkay! :wink
  • Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,412 Officer
    ReelHookd wrote: »
    Snowys we're not kept just snapped some pics and were released guess should put that in report for all the wanna be fwc officers

good for you, I can't imagine it any other way.
    Wouldn't risk my license for 2 fish bud.
    Pulled them from 600 feet at 270 feet per minute.
    I'm sure they were fine.

We want to target deep Snowy too. But we don't. Because they are out of season in federal water.

Smarten up, Captain.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,118 Captain

LMAO..... sure

So you kept hauling em up and watched them float away one after another? Great work
    marlin_baitball.gif
    Pulled them from 600 feet at 270 feet per minute.
    I'm sure they were fine.

We want to target deep Snowy too. But we don't. Because they are out of season in federal water.

Smarten up, Captain.

Wasn't targeting Snowys I was going after tiles but they got Hooked up once snapped some pics cause clients had never seen them they were released y'all believe what you want but I follow rules and regulations out there
    This weekend had the pleasure of taking out some clients to do some mahi fishing and some deep dropping and some bottom fishing out of islamorada.On saturday the plan was to run out for dolphin and once we caught some do some bottom fishing but everything changed once we got out there and couldnt find any mahi, we ran out to about 1200 ft and nothing, then ran to the humps and it looked like a city out there and nothing was going on there. So i decided to hit one of my shoal spots for deep dropping at about 380ft, got everything set up and let the weight go, once it hit the bottom the rod tip went NUTS! hit the switch on the krystal and boom fish on, well brought it up and come to see it was some nice red porgys, did a couple more drifts and caught 7 of them,. After that we decided to head in and catch some yellowtail for the rest of the afternoon, caught about 15 of them and called it a day.

On sunday we decided to try out the same plan as on saturday ran out for dolphin and the conditions couldnt be better, flat seas found a huge weedline at about 900ft that had a ton of life on it and worked that weed line for a while with no luck decided to head in to catch some snowy groupers and tile fish. Once we made it to the first spot at about 600ft dropped the weight down and not 5 secs went by and boom something smacks the rod, hit the switch and it looked like we were stuck on the bottom and after a few secs the line starts coming in and after a couple mins we see color and to our surprise it was a nice tile and snowy together .

Did a couple more drifts on that spot to see if we can put some more fish in cooler and the fishing gods were on our side. we hooked up a couple more nice tiles and so more snowy grouper.

Till next time
    Capt. Manny V.
    Reel Hook'd Charters

quoted for accuracy
    Ok sorry typed it wrong didn't know you had to be perfect to post on these forums. We'll next time I post I will word myself better yall have a good day and catch em up....
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,291 Admiral
    Them bugged out eyes tells me that fish is gonna float even with proper venting.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,291 Admiral
    Post nekid pics of red bottom and all will be forgiven.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Capt... I would delete this post. Their are ironic rats on here!
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,750 Captain
    Good comeback!! Thanks for the report
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,750 Captain
    So evidently because snowys are closed we're not allowed to deep drop? By deep dropping he's targeting snowys? I never read that in the law. A law against tile gishing? Maybe we could hang a ign on the bait saying " no snowys allowed". Come on guys, give the man a break, no wonder no one posts reports here any more. If he was at the dock with illegal gish that would be one thing.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    tunaman wrote: »
    So evidently because snowys are closed we're not allowed to deep drop? By deep dropping he's targeting snowys? I never read that in the law. A law against tile gishing? Maybe we could hang a ign on the bait saying " no snowys allowed". Come on guys, give the man a break, no wonder no one posts reports here any more. If he was at the dock with illegal gish that would be one thing.

This
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    tunaman wrote: »

Unfortunately, the OP's own words dictated he targeted the snowys. He just should'nt have posted the pics, nor reported catching them.

You don't need the world's applause to know how good eating they were...
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
    got ants? wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the OP's own words dictated he targeted the snowys. He just should have not posted the pics, nor reported catching them.

You don't need the world's applause to know how good eating they were...

I don't think he was looking for applause. He was just excited to share a great day of fishing. Nothing wrong with that. We have all done that and more people should.

But when you specifically post that you are deep dropping for a closed species and posting it on what is supposed to be a "sportsman" forum.....
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Them bugged out eyes tells me that fish is gonna float even with proper venting.

Maybe he vented their eyes too?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't think he was looking for applause. He was just excited to share a great day of fishing. Nothing wrong with that. We have all done that and more people should.

But when you specifically post that you are deep dropping for a closed species and posting it on what is supposed to be a "sportsman" forum.....

You are absolutely right it was my mistake for typing it that way it was after a long day of fishing and didn't catch what I typed was wrong I did not go after Snowys I was targeting tile but as I just learned from my first post on this forum you must be perfect to post here. Thanks to those who understand and sorry to those who don't
    You are absolutely right it was my mistake for typing it that way it was after a long day of fishing and didn't catch what I typed was wrong I did not go after Snowys I was targeting tile but as I just learned from my first post on this forum you must be perfect to post here. Thanks to those who understand and sorry to those who don't

2nd post, just sayin.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    56866c653511ab3646700b5ef464e9f6.jpg
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!

I accept your apology.
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,906 Admiral
    :rotflmao