CO Trip. Dream Stream

Got out to CO for my trip finally this past weekend. It was an amazing trip with some great fishing.

Flew into Denver Thursday morning and first thing on the list was to search for carp downtown. Ended up finding a bunch of carp but getting them to eat was another story. Tried at least a dozen flies presented many ways but they didn't want to have anything to do with me. After 4 hours I gave up and made my way down to Colorado Springs.

Friday I fished with a guide from South Platte Fly Shop. We went to Dream Stream which is a gold medal public stream about 1 hour from CO Springs. Fishing was constant with many little fish coming on both dry flies and nymphs. The goal though was a big brown trout or some salmon. After about 3.5 hours of fishing we came to a spot that was holding many big fish. A couple minutes later I had my first big brown on. Huge fish, jumping out of the water and taking big runs into the thick grass. You could tell this first had been hooked many times before and she knew to run strait to a rock and wrap me up. Line breaks and first big fish gone. No worries though. About 5 mins later fish on again and this fat 24' brown made it to the net. Beautiful fish that was lit up with a orange belly, probably getting ready to spawn.

FirstBrown_zps975b2add.jpg
Monster_zpsb8818bbf.jpg
Netted_zps5b095c4b.jpg
22BrownTrout_zpsd5da174d.jpg

Day 2 I fished with The Peak Fly Shop. We also fished Dream Stream which I was ok with after a good day 1 outing. Fishing Started off red hot landing 5 fish in the first hole with most being 12-16". The last fish in that hole though was a true stud of a trout. A 26" brown that held tight to the bottom most of the fight. She ended up taking a run and pulling the hook but I told the guide that I could still see the fish sitting in about 2 ft of water. Put another cast in and she ate again. Guide was amazed she could eat again after a 5 minute fight. Got another good fight from her and put her in the net this time. Needless to saw the guide and I were super happy about the outcome of this fight. Continued the rest of the day catching a lot of fish in the 12-16 range and even managed to bag some a nice rainbow trout at 20" that was sight fished in about 1 ft of water.

BigBrown2_zpsb1908df7.jpg
cutbow_zpsb34786b1.jpg
BigBrown_zps3fa660d9.jpg
Rainbow2_zps053bb6a9.jpg
Rainbow_zps5eff3695.jpg

On the last day in Co we had some bad weather so I didn't get to fish the stream again. I headed up to Denver to try the carp one more time but they still didn't want anything to do with me. I had found some single fish working up the shore line. I could see them feeding but all my fly offerings went untouched. Owell I guess it will just be a reason to go back again. Great trip all in all. If you guys head out that way check out both fly shop as they are great guys who can put you on some really nice fish.

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Some serious trout. Very well done. BTW Really like the brookie.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 658 Officer
    Those are some beautiful fish, great job.

:thumbsup
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 748 Officer
    Some serious trout. Very well done. BTW Really like the brookie.

No brookies. Only brown, rainbows, and cutbows in the pics.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Awesome looking fish!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    Yeww! Tight work bro
  • Colorado TroutbumColorado Troutbum Posts: 102 Officer
    ****, congratulation man, those are some great pics! There's a ton of pressure on the dream and a lot of folks walk away skunked, great testament to your skills and the guides from both shops. Got me thinkin' I might drive down to South Park soon...also sorry about the Carp, they can be a serious PITA when they want to be.
    ****, congratulation man, those are some great pics! There's a ton of pressure on the dream and a lot of folks walk away skunked, great testament to your skills and the guides from both shops. Got me thinkin' I might drive down to South Park soon...also sorry about the Carp, they can be a serious PITA when they want to be.

Yes a ton of pressure. On saturday I counted 45 cars fishing the stream, and construction is going on on the middle of the stream. The guides really showed me what to look for and how to fish each situation. I think we only talked to one other angler with a trout over 20". I would recommend going down there cuz catching 20+ fish is no problem and as you can see the nice fish are chewing.
    As for the carp I think they are just really over pressured. It was like they were saying "hey guy i've seen those flies before". It wouldn't be as much fun if they were easy to catch. Great trip though. Thanks for your advise CO troutbum.
    not surprised at the pressure, especially on a weekend where the weather cooperated for you...No worries and glad you had a great trip, stay in touch, hopefully I won't be at elk camp next time & will get you to the water I manage up north; 8 private lakes, 4 miles of river, 7 trout species to 18lbs within 5 minutes + 3 of the top 10 public destinations within an hour where they did the FF world championships a few years back...most likely get palomino, brooks, tigers, grayling, and have a shot at checking lakers off your list depending on the time of year.
    Can you send me some info on the water you manage? A buddy and I might go to Montana next summer and we might stop in Colorado.
    Can you send me some info on the water you manage? A buddy and I might go to Montana next summer and we might stop in Colorado.
    email sent
  • woodystikswoodystiks Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Yep, try us in Montana. We have it all and not as much pressure.
    We will be spoiled in Montana because one of my friends has a buddy who live out there and the stream behind his house is suppose to be loaded with trout that don't see a ton of action.

I should have some good post in 2015 for you guys as I am currently planning trips to Costa Rica in March to fish the FADs for marlin, mahi, sails and tuna on fly, Montana in the early summer for trout on fly and Alaska at the end of summer for salmon on fly and probably do a trip for halibut as well. Pretty sure halibut are too deep but if there is a chance i'd try for one.

Now I just need to get a raise at work to pay for all of this.
  • BearmaticBearmatic Posts: 576 Officer
    Outstanding trip I miss that stream fishing.
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Wonderful photos!
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Good hell, those are some pigs!!! That river is epic, I need to make it over that way soon!