Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

9/21 yankeetown yakkin with a newb

TideUpTideUp Senior MemberGainesvillePosts: 126 Officer
Headed out to yankeetown yesterday with a buddy who purchased his first yak a week or so ago and wanted to try out his luck kayak fishing. He had never caught anything other than a few bream when he was a kid so I knew he was in for a good time. We paddled out to our first spot around 9:30 to simply catch a couple rats and get equipment tuned in for later spots. My first cast with the spoon landed a little red so I knew it was goin to be a productive day. My buddy Andrew made a few cast and landed his first red ever on a popping cork and shrimp and he was pretty proud haha not too long after he landed his first black drum but it was a little under the slot so we couldn't cooler it. We moved on to another little island that was absolutely covered in mullet so I tossed the spoon in the ruckus of bait and had an enormous red swipe twice and trail my spoon in but spooked at the boat but led me to believe some big reds might be camped out. I threw the net and caught some big mullet to smoke and used the smaller ones for cut bait. My chunk of mullet doesn't soak for 5 seconds before the rod is almost snatched from my hand and it was on! He rolled twice and put on a good show and then I noticed a roll away from where my line was pointing and he cut me on a big boulder. Before I could tie on another rig, drew hooked up a nice slot for his first keeper. Then drew hooked a well fed jack that really gave him some fun for about 5 or 6 minutes. We ventured around and weeded out 2 more slots out of the rats throughout the day. I did catch a super beautiful orange redfish that was the most orangish red I've ever seen in the area. At the last spot we seen a few big blacks tailing nearby so I pointed them out to Drew and he made a spot on cast which produced a healthy big ugly. At the end of the day we smoked some mullet for dip, had a couple brews, and I enjoyed opening a whole new world called fishing to another person.
Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com

Replies