Great trip; doplhin/weehoo/tuna

Had a great trip with my dad this weekend.... tuna, dolphin, and weehoo all on dead finger mullet :!:

Didnt take any pictures, but we picked off 18 dolphin and a tiny wahoo off a tiny piece of bamboo in 1100'. All we had for bait was some finger mullet i had netted off the beach (dead and frozen). 4/0 live bait hook through the nose and then skipping them across the surface :) Then we spied some tuna busting, so we dragged same mullet skipping behind the boat. Bam, big skip jack, then BAM dad gets taken to the gunnel. Tuna spooled a big fin-nor spinner with 80 lb braid before breaking off :x . Would have had to have been a monster blackfin or pretty decent yellowfin

this was on the way out to make swordfish drops. Didnt get tight on a sword, but we had several good bites

wind is starting to pick up, I have a feeling Im done fishing for a little while

bateau.com
boatbuildercentral.com

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Epic day with dad. Congrats, gotta love when the fish aren't picky for live bait and will eat whatever you had on board.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    I doubt a BFT could nearly spool anything with a drag for 80# line. Wonder if you hooked the Marlin or huge Wahoo, Shark that was there feeding on those Skippies... Either way a good day on the water.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Too bad you couldn't run down the fish vs getting spooled...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • Dominic74Dominic74 Posts: 729 Officer
    Wow, great catch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sebastianshinesebastianshine Posts: 128 Deckhand
    LastMango wrote: »
    Too bad you couldn't run down the fish vs getting spooled...
    I doubt a BFT could nearly spool anything with a drag for 80# line.

We will never know for sure, but there were some pretty large busts going on.

Rod was a big spinner, the fish took it near the end of the spool. We chased it until we were straight down, fighting like a big tuna. The knot actually broke. Should have backed off the drag a bit when the spool got small. My fault though, I just tied a quick fishermans knot to the leader while we were thick into the dolphin. It was my buddies rod and he had 50 florocarbon leader on it. :banghead:banghead:banghead

My guess is there was 20 lb of drag on the reel

bateau.com
    boatbuildercentral.com
  • RockNReelerRockNReeler Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Sounds like fun and agree with your weather forecast for coming days!
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Thank's for the report sounds like a lot of fun.
    50 wides in no mans land, or your wasting your time.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame