no pics = no fish report

Took the family out on Saturday the 20th and headed straight out to the edge. After working a few wrecks with no luck....not even a hit, I decided it was time to troll a little. I zigzagged from 100 feet to 300 heading south to the missing whistle bouy. Nothing, not even a hit. I stopped at another wreck only to mark fish. Guess everything had lock jaw that day or at least they didn't want my jig. I picked up the lines and headed out to 400 feet. We trolled north at a good clip with the stream, about 12 knots so we were moving. Ot was about 9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. by the way when all of a sudden we had a HUGE hit (love the sound) and got to work. We cleared all the lines and the fish was still screaming east. I cut back the throttles half way...now around 6 knots. The minute I did, it ran at the boat. I came tight one more time before it was gone. As I reeled in the lure with my head hung down, I just knew it was a wahoo. Oh well, you win some you lose some right? After that, the kids were awake so we went over the reef for a little swim. Oh....not a lobster to be found either. lol Until next weekend, tight lines you all.

Replies

• gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    at least you were out on the water
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • followotherboatsfollowotherboats Posts: 445 Deckhand
    gsweaver wrote: »
    at least you were out on the water

That is SO true.

Not a weed to be found as well but I wasn't out far though.
  • Launch 'emLaunch 'em Posts: 96 Deckhand
    I flew over to Nassau and back on Saturday afternoon. There was a nice rip line with weed in it about 12 miles off. Most reports of catching lately have been at least that far if not out to 18-25 off. It's a long run and lots of fuel though to catch this time of year.
    That is SO true.

Not a weed to be found as well but I wasn't out far though.
    For all of your South Florida real estate needs, call me! I specialize in waterfront property.
    786-897-0969 www.miamirealestate.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The Audrey Ross Team, EWM Realtors
  • OneFastt997OneFastt997 Posts: 124 Officer
    I went out to 1200ft yesterday. Not sure how far off that is but I would think 14 miles and saw nothing.
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    this is my 2nd year of fishing. did pretty good this summer with dolphin offshore. now that fall is coming, do you guys switch strategies and just fish off the reef? Is it worth it still to go look for weedlines and dolphin offshore?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • TommTomm Posts: 359 Deckhand
    gsweaver wrote: »
    this is my 2nd year of fishing. did pretty good this summer with dolphin offshore. now that fall is coming, do you guys switch strategies and just fish off the reef? Is it worth it still to go look for weedlines and dolphin offshore?

I went 18 miles offshore on Friday and found a nice weed line.....trolled it and caught plenty of Mahi (report to come). Weather has started to change and will do so more as we get closer to Fall and "Winter", which basically means more wind and less opportunity to head offshore if you have a small boat like me. I fish nearshore, or inshore during the winter months. Watch for the mullet run, also lots of fish start moving inshore. Just be adaptable to weather conditions.
    2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**