Goodbye Florida

AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
Well it seems I will be moving to Omaha, NE in January. I will surely miss the beautiful FL waters that I have come to love over the past 4 years. It looks like there could be some good trout fishing in the streams up there, so I won't be out of luck just yet. I appreciate all the info I gathered from you guys in the past, and I hope to still be able to be a part of the forum in the future. I may be posting a big ol' mule deer or pronghorn picture into between my hopeful trout trips.
Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.

Replies

• Sage ManSage Man Posts: 195 Officer
    Good luck to you. My mother-in-law always says you should "bloom where you're planted". I'm sure you'll find some fun stuff up there.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,120 AG
    Ought to be real nice in up there in January. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Sage Man wrote: »
    Good luck to you. My mother-in-law always says you should "bloom where you're planted". I'm sure you'll find some fun stuff up there.

Wow...I like that. I moved from the Keys to (of all places) Springfield, Missouri....back in late 1991. It was there, sort of post-humously, that I was asked to join the G Loomis pro staff. I accepted, but it was at least 1 1/2 years before I even picked up any rod with the intention of fishing with it. I mean....after nearly 20 years of catching tarpon, bonefish, permit, tuna, amberjack, etc. on lines from 6-12 lb. test....well, they don't make a fresh water fish in any size that can hold a candle to a Florida salt water fish!

But gradually I came around. Using Florida tackle and techniques, I was snatching keeper sized (15 inches or more) largemouth bass out of cover, using 4 lb. line. (The tournament pros catch the same bass on what test line?) I also learned to re-appreciate the skill and technique that it took to take a fresh water trout on a dry fly......although western fly fishing for trout is exponentially easier than that found in New York and New England.

I also re-discovered camping and more importantly, combining that with a float trip down one of the many Ozarks streams, fishing for smallmouth bass and in some places, trout also. That was a blast and I miss those trips to this day.

So YES Americun.....You'll find something to do, and have a good time doing it as well. Good luck.
    .......Rick
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 658 Officer
    Best of luck to you, when one door closes another opens. Have a safe move.

:thumbsup
  • red owlred owl Posts: 639 Officer
    Don't overlook walleye, pike, catfish. Good pheasant country. I was in west NE recently near Scott's bluff, saw a lot of pronghorn just driving along the road. Their actually bigger than a lot of FL deer.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Wish you God speed.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    Why would you go and do something like that?
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    If God give you lemons, then go into the lemonade business
  • Colorado TroutbumColorado Troutbum Posts: 102 Officer
    Hey Amurican, I know a lot of Nebraska folks who come my way on the weekends/vacation. If you want to do that at some point it’s an easy drive, albeit a long one from Omaha; you can be in Denver or Laramie in ~8 hours & have a hundred options for outstanding trout fly fishing close distances from both cities, elk hunting etc. IM me when you get settled in & I can help point you in the right direction for whatever you’re interested in. You’ll also have some great local options for upland/waterfowl, good pike fly fishing in the sand hills to your NW, carp everywhere, & I keep reading about folks chasing big alligator gar (50lb+) with flies to your south.