Home General Paddle Craft

Kayak fishing trip in Jan or Feb, but where?

Hey all, me and my old time friend live in the Chicago area and both have hpa's. We are looking to do a 1.5 week trip down in Florida in January or February. Since this may be the last time I have the opportunity to come down south for an extended trip I want to make sure its going to be a good one! :)

We would like to target Tarpon, snook, reds, tuna, etc.

Where would be a good place to go, I'm guessing we are going to have to go to the Keys or the Everglades for these fish during that time of the year?

I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay and good kayak launching areas to take some of the guessing out of the trip.

I'm very open to suggestions on this, as you can tell from the email I'm all over the place.

Replies

• bluewateryak13bluewateryak13 Posts: 185 Deckhand
    I'm biased having spent a lot of time in the southern portions of the IRL, but the stuart/ft. pierce area might be one to consider. Some of the backwater areas and shallow muddy flats in ft. pierce south to jensen will be your best bet for tarpon, snook, seatrout, and reds on those cold days when the wind is ripping 20+knots. As for offshore(weather permitting), a little farther south is peck lake and one of the best places for "offshore" action for spanish macks, bluefish, runners, jacks, pomps, and sharks. My two cents.
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    We catch tarpon, snook, seatrout, bonefish, tuna, sails, dolphin, kings, spanish mackerel, bluefish and jacks all winter around Miami. You'd have to drive an hour or so for reds. The best tarpon fishing is probably Miami Beach, and the best offshore fishing is from Ft. Lauderdale to Palm Beach, since the ledge is only 2 miles out (it's 3 off Miami). The stretch from Miami to Palm Beach is the only kayak-accessible true offshore fishing in the state (200-600 feet of depth and warm Gulfstream water is easily within reach). Should be an exciting trip - check back in when you get here.