Offshore reports from last few weeks

It's been a busy few weeks for me. Ran several trips out of the Keys over the past few weeks. We managed some very nice late season dolphin and all the blackfins you could want out at the Marathon humps. Had planned on doing some bottom fishing, but the wind never let up on the days were were going to attempt that.

Back here in SW Florida, I've run a couple offshore day trips. Red grouper fishing has been hot. In four trips, we limited out, and managed to throw in some nice gags in about 75 feet of water west of Sanibel. Had plans to do a night snapper trip mid-week, but I called it off on account of numerous thunderstorms offshore. I've been struck three times on a boat by lightening and avoid going out when it's exceptionally rainy.

Managed some nice sized reds in about the 130 feet of water range southwest of FMB.

On Saturday we fished the Suncoast Shootout in Sarasota. Mainly fished the 300 fow depth. We took first place overall in the grouper category with a 68 pound carbo. Took the top spot with the largest gag coming in at 31 pounds. Placed second in the snapper category and won the calcutta for the largest combined weight of grouper and snapper.

Planning a tortugas trip next weekend then back to the Keys for a spell.

I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I am looking forward to finally getting some cold fronts through the area to cool things off. This has been one long, hot and humid summer.

Replies

• PtsrhenryPtsrhenry Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Whats it like being struck by lightning on a boat, did any one get hurt, did it damage anything and how big of a boat? Thanks if
    mind sharing.
    RANGER BAY 2300
  • PigskinCaptPigskinCapt Posts: 253 Officer
    Ptsrhenry wrote: »
    Whats it like being struck by lightning on a boat, did any one get hurt, did it damage anything and how big of a boat? Thanks if
    mind sharing.

Each lightening strike differed as far as the damage. The worst one, I sustained about 30,000 dollars worth of damage to the vessel. It entered through a VHF antenna. It traveled through the electrical system. It melted several wires, causing a small fire. All the electronics were fried. The compass was de-magnitized. The tops were blown off the batteries and the starter on the engine had to be rebuilt. The bolt had to exit the boat and traveled through the vessel's bonding system and blew a through hull fixture out of the bottom of the boat. We had to get in the water and put a plug in the hole so we could make it home. That was a lot of fun at 3am.

It was a 45 foot vessel. No one was injured. But the hair on my head did stand straight up just milli-seconds before the strike. That stuff is no joke.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    That is possibly the worst story I have ever heard. I do not ever want to experience that.

Congrats on another win. Just out of curiosity, does the prize money cover the fuel bill?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Nice job Erick , I notice that you where the only one on the Boat Friday getting it ready in the Rain . Its the behind the scene logistics that helps being Number One . :wink
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    RMD wrote: »
    That is possibly the worst story I have ever heard.

LMAO. Effing A
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
    Luna Sea wrote: »
    Nice job Erick , I notice that you where the only one on the Boat Friday getting it ready in the Rain . Its the behind the scene logistics that helps being Number One . :wink

Yeah Bob, there is a lot of behind the scenes work that goes into these events.
    RMD wrote: »
    That is possibly the worst story I have ever heard. I do not ever want to experience that.

Congrats on another win. Just out of curiosity, does the prize money cover the fuel bill?

I believe it does. We won 8,000.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Nice!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Erick , I have to ask what size seas you where running heading up to Sarasota . I was out this Fri, Sat , Sun and I'm still rocking .
    It really wasn't bad at all. Never really ran into anything over 2 feet. The further north we got, the darker the skies got. It did rain, but not as badly as it was further away from us.