Offshore reports from last few weeks

It's been a busy few weeks for me. Ran several trips out of the Keys over the past few weeks. We managed some very nice late season dolphin and all the blackfins you could want out at the Marathon humps. Had planned on doing some bottom fishing, but the wind never let up on the days were were going to attempt that.

Back here in SW Florida, I've run a couple offshore day trips. Red grouper fishing has been hot. In four trips, we limited out, and managed to throw in some nice gags in about 75 feet of water west of Sanibel. Had plans to do a night snapper trip mid-week, but I called it off on account of numerous thunderstorms offshore. I've been struck three times on a boat by lightening and avoid going out when it's exceptionally rainy.

Managed some nice sized reds in about the 130 feet of water range southwest of FMB.

On Saturday we fished the Suncoast Shootout in Sarasota. Mainly fished the 300 fow depth. We took first place overall in the grouper category with a 68 pound carbo. Took the top spot with the largest gag coming in at 31 pounds. Placed second in the snapper category and won the calcutta for the largest combined weight of grouper and snapper.

Planning a tortugas trip next weekend then back to the Keys for a spell.

I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I am looking forward to finally getting some cold fronts through the area to cool things off. This has been one long, hot and humid summer.

Replies