Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Party Boat Help

I know that most party boat fisherman use the gear available on the boat and the condition of that gear can range from adequate to barely functioning. I would like to bring my own gear and I am looking for some general recommendations for rods and reels. The venerable 4/0 seems to be the reel of choice for the boats and I am sure it works over a broad range of conditions, but could I put more fish in the box with another weapon or two available? My greatest interest are the 8 and 10 hour trips.

Any information or insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    Do you prefer conventional or spinning gear? I changed to all lightweight jigging rods for all of my bottom fishing. I prefer spinning to conventional, so I got some shimano trevala jigging rods , heavy and x heavy($120-160). And paired w a 10,000 shimano saragosa($200 ish). Very happy w the combos. Very strong and light. They also make conventional jigging rods. Good luck
    You should have been here yesterday
  • MOBassMOBass Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I can use both spinning and conventional gear equally well. I figured a conventional outfit with 50# for the bottom fish and maybe a 20# spinning rod in the event there is a shot at some surface species. It is difficult for me to step on a boat without at least a couple of outfits. The party boat websites are pretty lean on info.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    I'd carry at least one bottom rig ( maybe 2 one w a fish finder rig and the other w/ a jig and curly tail/ butterfly jig)and a spinner for cobia, I might go a little heavier than 20#, but that's just me. Sounds like you have it worked out
    You should have been here yesterday