Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Newbie Help?

Ok guys,
New(er) to the area and have grown to love being out on the water. My brother and I purchased a 17ft SeaChaser, so we are mostly interested in inshore at the moment. We usually put in at the Public Carrabelle River ramp and head out and around Dog Island. We catch a variety of things, but just purely due to dumb luck probably. Mainly trying to target trout, but a nice red drum would be great every now and then as well.

Where should we be heading out of the Carrabelle River for trout? Not asking for anyone’s honey hole, just looking for some general direction. Should I just go buy a Top Spots/Hot Spots map of the area?

Thanks!! :hail

Replies

• BodineBodine Posts: 3,074 Captain
    Take a left out of the river and head to the grass flats off of Lanark, OR
    take a right out of the river and fish the grass flats behind St. G. island.
    F the feds
  • DogDaysDogDays Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    We have never been to the right. Anything in particular to look out for?
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 865 Officer
    Fish around the docks and flats on the bay side of Dog Island and the flats east of C'Belle to Lanark, great for trout/red fish all fall.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,833 AG
    Trout also move with water temps. The hotter the water, the deeper they go. Sometimes out to 8-10' of water in the heat of Summer. Spring and Fall you will find them in 2-5', look for the grass growing on the bottom. That holds bait fish that the trout feed on. Fish around oyster bars and docks for reds. Trout and reds can be caught in the creeks and up the rivers in the winter months.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • DogDaysDogDays Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all of the answers guys. Good starting point.