Home General Fishing

Thoughts on a wet suit..

Region RatRegion Rat Posts: 66 Greenhorn
With all the closures and restrictions on hook and line fishing we have been focusing on spear fishing. I will be in the market for a wet suit my next trip to florida. Any input would be appreciated.

1) full suit vs Farmer Jon

2) type of material

3) thickness

4) does color matter?

5) new vs Craig's List

6) manufacturer

Thanks in advance

RR

Replies

• divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,530 Captain
    Full suit,Zipper in back,easy on/off, 3mm plenty thick this time of year,camo browns/greens for reef,blues offshore.New, Not that expensive anymore.
    dixiedivers.com
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • NewtNewt Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Full with hood, 3 mm (wear a vest on top if it's still too cold), color based on where you hunt most, one piece, c-list is worth it if you find one in really good condition, you may just have to wait a while for your size in your area.
  • RootbeerRootbeer Posts: 128 Officer
    I love my husband's Omer Camo Wetsuit and I believe its a 3mm.... You have to spray it with shampoo and water to slide in it and he really likes the fit... I love the camoflouge thats going on with the nice rocky stuff and sea urchins on the wetsuit.... But for right now the Omer is still to warm to wear so he wears his green turtle looking Riffe rashguard wetsuit... Fish come up to that seaweed looking wetsuit and a whole bunch of turtles.... I did not like the riffe wetsuit fit and it bothered me with the uncomfortable fit so I didn't want it but I want my husband to buy me the Omer Camo Wetsuit!!! I hear its super comfortable! Its so expensive though....
  • Capt_GerryCapt_Gerry Posts: 173 Officer
    I use a Riffe green for inshore spearing and blue for deep open water. The running joke on my boat is, "Where's Gerry" every time I put it on. Those who laughed quickly took those words back after they saw the suit in the water. It is a farmer john style which I now love. It took awhile for me to get use to it but now I really enjoy taking the top off and just leaving the bottoms on between dives. They are a tight fit and the use of shampoo or silicone definitely helps but not necessary. With the Riffes they have a “thermal-reflecting” silver titanium coating. This coating allows easy entry (when wet) and reflects back body heat therefore keeping you warmer so a 3mm is plenty for Florida. Price is definitely a factor here! Here is a pic of me on the right in the Riffe green camo
    Changin' Latitudes
  • BottomScratcherBottomScratcher St. AugustinePosts: 48 Greenhorn
    Holy Cow! I just now realized just how "old school" I really am. To us a black wet suit was the only wet suit. Navy blue with black was considdered to be too flashy. My first dry suit was a catsuit. Essentially a bulky 1/2" wet suit with room to wear Woolies.... kind of comforting when diving under a foot of ice!
    You guys have come a long way!!! <*((((<