Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

OK, so my SIL sent me a NEF file

FlashFlash Senior MemberChiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,487 AG
I cannot seem to open it though. Only have PS7 and I heard Irfanview should open it, but it does not. What do I need to open it and be able to edit it?

To add, I did get a ViewNX2 disc with my Nikon D7100, just got to find it. Not sure if that would open the file or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• WB DrifterWB Drifter Senior Member Just around the bendPosts: 290 Deckhand
    Right click from Windows Explorer, select properties and then the detail option. It should tell you the camera model, etc.

RawTherapee handles a lot of different raw files ...

http://rawtherapee.com/blog/features
    You can now view Nikon RAW (NEF) files in Windows 7
    http://nikonrumors.com/2011/07/27/you-can-now-view-nikon-raw-nef-files-in-windows-7.aspx/
    [SIGPIC] You are only allowed 0 images. [/SIGPIC]
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Senior Member Posts: 24,412 AG
    WB Drifter wrote: »
    Right click from Windows Explorer.....................

This assumes Flash is running a new(er) version of Explorer, which we know he is not! :rotflmao
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,487 AG
    Nope that shows nothing about the camera WB, but I did run a converter on the image and she is using a D300.

And that is WINDOWS Explorer there WE, not IE. :blowkiss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Uhh, a wedding photog she is not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Senior Member Posts: 24,412 AG
    That is what happens when you leave the lens hood on while using the camera's pop-up flash.

Oh, and about the software. You have to admit, you have admitted, yo not keeping your software up to day, on maaaannnnnyyyyyy occasions. :wink
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Senior Member Stuart, FLAPosts: 10,024 AG
    That is what happens when you leave the lens hood on while using the camera's pop-up flash.

I get that even with my lens hood off, when shooting wide angle 24-70, with pop up flash. Of course I rarely use the pop up, but it has saved me more than once. Aiming down low and cropping solves the issue.

I really dont like lugging my speedlight along with me.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events

Oh, and about the software. You have to admit, you have admitted, yo not keeping your software up to day, on maaaannnnnyyyyyy occasions. :wink

Yes, I did tell her about that, plus shooting at F11 @ 6oth of a second.

Redone in Nikon ViewNX2

Well if what you have is working for you, why upgrade. I will say the adjustments in View where much better than with PS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]