Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankee Capt "Mutton Marathon" 9/14/14

13»

Replies

• True GritTrue Grit Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Is this not why it's called fishing & not catching ? I am planing a trip mid Oct. I thought this capt. response was more than fair and he seems to speak from his heart . Plus you got a credit. If I may ask what is a good species to target in a few weeks ? basically what would we throw back if brought over the rails that would be good table fare
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
    Mid October is a transitional month, migratory species begin their yearly migration, expect all resident and pelagic species to be a likely catch, quite frankly the opportunities in this region are surprising to put it mildly. Come prepared to fish bottom with conv.gear in the 30-50 lb. class, 8 foot rod is not necessary but given the choice go 8 to 9, seven foot is just fine trust me, a medium spinner for kingfish/mahi/blackfin tuna and a smaller one for yellowtail snapper. Quite frankly... go on the YC website and everything you need to know re. tackle is there. Buy some fresh bait on the way down, if you have difficulty finding (real) fresh bait shoot me a message, be cautious buying fresh bait from the tackle shops unless you know what to look for in fresh bait. Most of us get bait from commercial or charter boat operators.