Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankee Capt "Mutton Marathon" 9/14/14

Replies

• surfer23mgsurfer23mg Posts: 50 Deckhand
    First off I never questioned the captains knowledge and ability to put people on fish. I know the boat catches fish. I would not have booked this trip otherwise. I have fished many charter/head boats but none that I have lived on for days. I guess I expecting a different approach. Between me and the 2 others I went fishing with we caught 4 decent fish. With over 3 grand spent on the trip with out so much of a "thank you" or "sorry guys" for a catch that I would be upset about if it was a 1 day charter is why I will not be coming back.
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 978 Officer
    Ryanfarley wrote: »
    I fished the back of the boat with Mike and can back up his story 100%. A simple "sorry guys I appreciate your business" would have sufficed. Instead we get a non existent capt throughout the trip not to mention at the dock.

I am sorry guys but I covered that all at the dock. Soon as I shut down the motors I made a announcement. It covered the credit, the slow fishing, a thank you and lastly if you have questions then find me.

Remember I did not go any where as was stated at the beginning of this thread. One of my crew moved my truck. I was was the last to leave at 10:00 AM.

I appreciate the support from the members here. However please keep it civil and don't pile on these guys.

Ultimately I accept all of the blame.

Greg
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,272 Officer
    I was on an 4 day iron man, a while back, We filled the boxes at sunset city and had to go back early.
    I had more fish than cooler space. Greg gave everybody a free trip because we came in early.

If you want to be on an epic trip you will have to do a few.
    But it's worth it!

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• TOMMYBOY4475TOMMYBOY4475 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    At least Greg put his money where his mouth is. You tell me what you would rather have:

"Im sorry" from his mouth and call it a day or $150 credit and no verbal apology?

If the former happened and no credit was issued, I can see it now… "All he said was i'm sorry and went on his merry way at least he could of offered us something!"

SMH… some people complain over the silliest of reasons… didn't know where the bathroom was, I mean c'mon really??? That takes 2 seconds to find on any boat, and if it took you longer tan that, you could've asked a mate the second you set foot on the boat. Im sure the would've been glad to tell you where it was.
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand

SMH… some people complain over the silliest of reasons… didn't know where the bathroom was, I mean c'mon really??? That takes 2 seconds to find on any boat, and if it took you longer tan that, you could've asked a mate the second you set foot on the boat. Im sure the would've been glad to tell you where it was.

hey,Maybe surfer23 had to really take a crap:shrug
  • Rip Van WinkleRip Van Winkle Posts: 30 Deckhand
    At the end of the trip all you have to do is look up to the top deck and see the shirtless adonis cleaning. He never leaves the boat early and any accusation he does is frankly, laughable.

Good lord how can you be pissed if you get 30% off the next trip? I have been on countless trips on other boats that you get a box of lube when you step on the boat. Other than being in a bunk next to PSS that doesn't happen on the YC.
    hey,Maybe surfer23 had to really take a crap:shrug

I went fishing on a boat where a guy, customer, had to take a dump and asked the Capt (it wasn't Greg or the YC) and this was the Capt's reply:

"Go **** in a bucket" and that's no lie.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,427 Officer
    That's the beauty of a CC. Grip the T-top squat over the gunnel and let it rip!!
  • RyanfarleyRyanfarley Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    We were never told that we were getting reimbursed for the bad fishing. Only because the trip was cut short. That announcement came on this post
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 240 Deckhand
    Surfer: you did pick the best and only surviving party boat in my opinion to fish the most productive waters of DT for muttons. Unfortunately, the fish gods had to instill a sense of humbleness in us occasionally. I for one went on my first 3 Ironman trips two decades ago where we did not have any muttons being shy but still had not mastered the "proper way". I also have had many trips where I had flown down only to not leave port due to weather. I kept coming back because I knew Greg knows his stuff, ran an honorable business, credits really bad trips or early returns, and stays home if adverse weather is imminent.

I am on the boat to fish and enjoy myself when the conditions line-up. You can't force them to eat. Sometimes they are there in numbers as can be seen on the sounder but will not feed or we sit and wait a couple of hours for the right conditions in the most likely spot they may congregate. Your primary target being muttons, its fishing in the sand and they can be elusive especially in the day. Its a big area to cover and some Capts will even post their stops on-screen as it's a pick out there. Usually to get a few muttons per stop is a no brainer, but making a party boat load happy, it's a miracle that the DT have been producing so often we take for granted.

Greg said he made his usual departing, please take care of the mates at end of fishing, and closing speech/ credit offer. That is his normal in my recollection, never once have I recalled the std not been said.

Comeback and enjoy the best possible mutton fishing, it usually gets a lot better than your trip but try to pick times when weather/tide is not an impediment to maximize your opportunity.

surfer23mg wrote: »
    First off I never questioned the captains knowledge and ability to put people on fish. I know the boat catches fish. I would not have booked this trip otherwise. I have fished many charter/head boats but none that I have lived on for days. I guess I expecting a different approach. Between me and the 2 others I went fishing with we caught 4 decent fish. With over 3 grand spent on the trip with out so much of a "thank you" or "sorry guys" for a catch that I would be upset about if it was a 1 day charter is why I will not be coming back.
    We were never told that we were getting reimbursed for the bad fishing. Only because the trip was cut short. That announcement came on this post

Well the 2 are interconnected. It shouldn't really matter.

Thank you for your response. While its possible I may have been sleep walking at this point, my fishing partners nor I remember any parting speech from the captain. The reason I created this post is to show a side that I have never read on any reports and help newcomers understand what to expect when arriving on this boat. I was never trying to take business away from the captain, just give a different perspective. This will be my last response to this post. I am not going to get into pissing matches over he-said-she-said with members who were not on this trip. I have yet to hear someone from that trip disagree with what I have stated.

Nah your side comes up every now and again, not often. It's bound to happen he has 1000's of customers and a disagreement or two is bound to happen. Every trip, the three whistles and then the stiff the mates speech.
  • Other than being in a bunk next to PSS that doesn't happen on the YC.

You will never go back to woman....LOL
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    That's the beauty of a CC. Grip the T-top squat over the gunnel and let it rip!!

:rotflmao:rotflmao

You really have a way with words!
    Capt Bill
    You will never go back to woman....LOL

I don't need to , just saunter into spot #8 and hear you whine like one.
  • I don't need to , just saunter into spot #8 and hear you whine like one.
    You should change your location to mine. hahahaha
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,945 Moderator
    I've been fishing the Capts for about 20 years. I usually fish this boat 2 or 3 times a year and it usually runs me between 650 and 1000 a trip depending upon the length of the trip and the cost of bait. I've had bad trips and good trips when it comes to the fishing, On my last trip, I did not l did not put one fish in the box :huh This was a trip to the vicinity of Pulley Ridge which I have never fish before, and had never fished the type of fishing we did. I learned a lot and will be better prepared the next time I'm in the area. But I never heard anyone complain about Greg or any of his crew. Greg is always the last one to leave the boat and I usually have to hunt him down, on the boat, to thank him for the trip.

That is not true. When I called the trip I specifically said you were going to get a credit anyway because of the fishing.

When I do credits for slow fishing I always announce it before we head home. This way customers have a better taste in their mouth and are not as disappointed.
  • TonyNJTonyNJ Posts: 42 Greenhorn

The only reason you should get any kind of reimbursement, if the Capt decides to give one, is for the trip getting cut short. Poor catching, (there is no such thing as "bad fishing"), is no ones fault except for the angler or the fish.
    TonyNJ

31 Ocean Master

17 Sugar Sand Tango - Sold
    33 Bertram - Sold
    26 Robalo - Sold
    34 Silverton - Sold
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 1,026 Officer
    TonyNJ nailed it on the head. Fishing is fishing. If Greg cut the trip short than I can understand a credit but NOT because the fishing was bad. Heck, if that's the case, when I go marlin fishing in some other country and we don't get a marlin, should I have to pay? Obviously YES. Greg, if you're going to credit people for bad fishing days, shouldn't you be able to surcharge people when the fishing is extra good? lol
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
    So far...
    This thread had a huge positive reaction towards the operation in question. It's going on (6) pages long and keeps on ticking like the Energizer Bunny.
    Hoogan wrote: »
    So far...
    This thread had a huge positive reaction towards the operation in question. It's going on (6) pages long and keeps on ticking like the Energizer Bunny.

Just keep it civil and don't pile on these guys. No need too.

I hope they give me another chance. I was thinking about it the other night. The bite was on fire. My dog could made a move and found fish that were biting. Too bad they picked the trip they did.

I believe if the fishing was good then they would not have cared who was running the boat. However that is not the case.

I think this thread should just die. However I will still try to answers any questions anyone has.

Greg
  • One Named Fishin'One Named Fishin' Key WestPosts: 59 Deckhand
    I don't need to , just saunter into spot #8 and hear you whine like one.

RALMFAO!:rotflmao
  • amighoamigho Posts: 776 Officer
    Okay, I went on the YC 3 times and killed it once, too much fish to ever eat by myself. I also spent at least a grand on each trip. I had to take a crap when I got there on the first trip, I didn't wait till the end to ask, I'm a grown up...I had to poop and I found the pot. I had a great time on every trip because I had no expectations of a full cooler, I had expectation of 3 days away from the daily grind! Okay...your trip didn't have good fishing..,.,tough titties, sometimes they bite sometimes they don't. I suggest you never go back on the YC ever, send me your credit and I'll go in your place, you go find the potty sweetheart , leave the fishing to the fishermen!
    :fishing:USA
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,098 Officer
    On my last trip, I did not l did not put one fish in the box This was a trip to the vicinity of Pulley Ridge which I have never fish before, and had never fished the type of fishing we did.

Jack, what was different about the type of fishing you were doing? Just curious.
    Xaf wrote: »
    Jack, what was different about the type of fishing you were doing? Just curious.

We were drifting on top of the bank. Some guys had a tough time with the conditions.

Greg
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 528 Officer
    Wow! I think it's all been said. Just a few observations. Obviously, my opinion is a bit one sided, I go on 12-14 trips a year on the Yankee Capts, between Nov to mid April and get to see the full range of weather and fish responses to what we drop in front of them. It's a no brainer when the bite is good, just try to keep up with the guys who are hauling them over the rail. When it's slow, the best remedy is to find something, anything, to enjoy about the trip. Not all trips are huge producers. The best fishermen on the boat are the best catchers for a number of reasons. Attitude and knowledge are at the top of the list. Focusing on the positive and the possible will usually improve the odds of something good happening down where your bait is.
    Right now I would give a lot to be on the Yankee Capts, been waiting since April. I waited and worked most of my life for the opportunity and was lucky enough to find Capt Greg and the Yankee Capts. We are extremely fortunate to have a man that cares enough to keep this operation running.
    If Greg didn't 100% care, he would have ignored this thread, but no, he's commented often, even though he has many, many other better things to be doing.
    The only suggestion I can make to improve slow fishing, is for the YC to host the Miss Hawaiian Tropic Tan bikini contest on the upper deck.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
    The only suggestion I can make to improve slow fishing, is for the YC to host the Miss Hawaiian Tropic Tan bikini contest on the upper deck.

About free room & board for all female 2014 October Fest participants !!!
    Hoogan wrote: »
    About free room & board for all female 2014 October Fest participants !!!

Sorry but I have a Pulley trip that weekend.

Greg