Home Egret Boats

Florida Marine Tracks has Officially Launched

Ok Egret Owners.......We are finally off and running with the initial release of S. Florida. This release includes recent hi res color imagery from Miami to Naples and all of Monroe County to Tortugas. Comprehensive Tracks cover all of the Keys and basic tracks are provided for Biscayne Bay to Miami and 10,000 islands to Naples. The next update will be released early next year and include imagery for the rest of the the State of Florida and more tracks up both coasts.

If you are frustrated with your dingy, fuzzy, dated, black and white, and missing chart plotter imagery we think you will be much happier running with this chip. It currently runs on the Navico line of chart plotters to include Lowrance, Simrad and B&G. Other manufacturers may follow except for Garmin which unfortunately prefers to support their own maps to the exclusion of all other mapping alternatives.

If you seek some direction on how to get from point A to point B and want a plethora of alternatives at a glance or wish you could rely more on your chart plotter to get more situational awareness of the shallows around you in the back country, this is the only product that provides this insight. It has the best imagery available in the market today and thousands of miles of tracks drawn with extreme precision. The imagery is higher resolution than the current GPS screens can even fully read. This chip even has all of the ENP markers noted and placed on the map in their exact locations and a lot of PVC stakes too to help in navigating. If you want to know how to get somewhere in the Kes in your skiff without worrying about running into flats and bars, this will show you. Albeit, it is not for the faint of heart. There are tons of shortcuts and tight runs but all proven. Using the chip requires great attention to detail. It was developed and tested over many years and designed exclusively for smaller and shallow running flats and bay boats that draft 13.5" or less at rest. It is not for recommended amateurs or novice shallow water boaters.

The photos examples/comparisons below were taken on a HDS12 Gen 2 unit. They are a little darker than they actually appear on the unit. Since it is a digital camera shooting an electronic screen; the images look much cleaner on the unit than in these photos of the screen but they are representative enough to provide a meaningful comparison between FMT and in this case Navionics 906P+ images. We will post comparisons to other products in the weeks to come.

If you are interested in learning more about this product or wish to purchase it, you can send an email to:

[email protected] and make inquiry there.

It's being sold on line right now at $525 and will eventually be available via direct download to your own chip at Navico's website. But purchasing direct is better as the download will code the chip to a single gps so you can't use the chip in any another machine unless you jump through some hoops at Navico. If it's purchased direct, the chip will work in any Navico chart plotter.

The FMT Website is in development at this time so for approximately the rest of September, any interested buyers or window shoppers will have to use the email until the rest of the product details can be posted on line. The demand was so high for the chips we decided to release early since the chips are complete and work fine but before we had the fancy packaging and web info totally wired.

Happy boating!

DSC01012_zpsac349f9f.jpg
FMT

DSC01013_zps439d7f6b.jpg
Navionics

DSC01136_zps9e0938d1.jpg
FMT

DSC01139_zps25163316.jpg
Navionics

[URL=http://s68.photobucket.com/user/EgretandLab/media/FMT vs Navionics/canon pics
/DSC01204_zps51e66fb6.jpg.html]DSC01204_zps51e66fb6.jpg[/URL]
FMT Tortugas
DSC01205_zps8ec16508.jpg
Navionics Tortugas

DSC01208_zps5eea5041.jpg
FMT Ft Jefferson
DSC01211_zpse8c297af.jpg
Navionics Ft. Jefferson

DSC01243_zps331007bc.jpg
FMT
DSC01244_zps395d9530.jpg
Navionics
DSC01178_zps8d128c07.jpg
FMT
DSC01181_zps60ec2260.jpg
Navionics
DSC01153_zpscded5a2f.jpg
FMT
DSC01154_zps929d67e1.jpg
Navionics
20140914_211258_zps0ce16f25.jpg
FMT
20140914_211245_zps81c3fa7c.jpg
Navionics
DSC01250_zps158c95ae.jpg
FMT
DSC01253_zps64b933fd.jpg
Navionics
DSC01123_zpsfd02072f.jpg
FMT
DSC01124_zpsad1adb6c.jpg
Navionics
DSC01046_zps37c4429a.jpg
FMT Snake Bight
DSC01049_zps292fef91.jpg
Navionics Snake Bight
DSC01193_zpsd4d8f724.jpg
FMT
DSC01196_zpsb33ad467.jpg
Navionics
DSC01118_zpsfd46330b.jpg
FMT
DSC01121_zps35898815.jpg
Navionics
DSC01026_zpse7503047.jpg
FMT
DSC01027_zps71a821a8.jpg
Navionics
DSC01111_zps94e3b135.jpg
FMT
DSC01112_zpsc5e5131b.jpg
Navionics
DSC01088_zps0fcfbeb8.jpg
FMT 9 Mile
DSC01091_zpsa39307fd.jpg
Missingonics

DSC01106_zps37d0fc8f.jpg
World Wide Sportsman FMT
DSC01109_zps9614c413.jpg
Navionics
DSC01066_zpsce779d3a.jpg
FMT
DSC01070_zps22db332d.jpg

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Great product. I beta tested a prior version and was blown away with it. I already ordered and paid for my chip.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I already ordered mine too. Going to Flamingo, camping for a week. Can't wait to try it out.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Are you going to add detail and routs as you go along? Reason I ask is the EC/Choko plate looks light on tracks. For example, the S turn out of Choko to Rabbit w/o going out to the Lopez, or how to get up to Lane Cove from Russlle pass, or back way to the Ferguson through Lane Cove.

This will be a great product if the idea is to continually enhance and update.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Are you going to add detail and routs as you go along? Reason I ask is the EC/Choko plate looks light on tracks. For example, the S turn out of Choko to Rabbit w/o going out to the Lopez, or how to get up to Lane Cove from Russlle pass, or back way to the Ferguson through Lane Cove.

This will be a great product if the idea is to continually enhance and update.

The tracks in Biscayne bay and north of Flamingo are light as you noted. Originally, they were not going to be on there at all but I decided to include 1) comprehensive tracks in the keys and 2) just basic tracks in the other 2 areas for this release. There is a plethora of of cuts and shortcuts in Biscayne bay around ragged keys and north to miami as well as in 10,000 islands. There will be updates that include the other runs but I need to get there and spend more time to run them and verify at low tides. It is a time consuming and painstaking process for the fine details to be tested. And as the tracking work continues northward, I am moving the day markers to their exact locations so there is not like an indicated red marker on the map but in reality its a 100` away. I hate running in the dark worrying about that. All of the other maps have that problem, because they just import their symbols with noaa coordinates and tons of them are substantively off. They are not making those adjustments to the markers. I am sure I missed a few but I think you will find that where there are tracks provided, the marker locations are highly accurate (even some pvc stakes). If you have some tracks that you would like to see on and care to share/email them, we can put it on the draft and work to get it on the next update. Obviously, feedback from locals who spend lots of time running the areas is valued insight for us. Trying to be an expert and mapping every area in the State with this kind of fine detail without assistance from locals is not doable in a lifetime. So we encourage comments and suggestions for more tracks that work at low tides. As you know 10,000 islands is one crazy place and you can spend years running around there to learn it and still leave more room to explore. It's such a remote area, we figured for anyone not familiar, the basic runs would be more useful than no direction at all.

The tracks are to run the rest of the State up both coasts and Bahammas. The remaining photos for all of the rest of FL will be on the next update along with more basic tracks and more comprehensive runs in the earlier releases. There is still 16 gb of blank room on the chips to include it all. The keys to Naples took up about 15gb all by itself. Compare to some others that use about 10 gb on a 16 gb chip to include the entire SE. I'll update photos too in the future. Using the model of keeping the photos from nearly 10 yrs ago on there like the other map companies does customers little good, particularly for "the fishing capital of the world". User feedback is always welcome.
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    :thumbsup
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    My FMT chip was delivered today, just in time for a week at Flamingo starting Saturday. Took a tour around Florida Bay on my unit. Photo detail is very sweet. Seems to zoom and operate with my Lowrance processor even faster than the Navionics chip.
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    my old Lowrance unit is on the fritz. can you recommend a new chart plotter to go along with the FMT?
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    my old Lowrance unit is on the fritz. can you recommend a new chart plotter to go along with the FMT?

Any of the HDS Gen 2 units are the optimal choice as their screens are the best and provide the most resolution.
    The hds 12s being released now have faster processors than the originally released 12s. I was advised they found a faster processor at a lower cost and started using them. Both work fine but the new one I have zooms around a lot faster than the first release which I also have.

The next FMT chip release should be approx. Jan/Feb and will have photos for the entire state and include tracks from Tampa Bay south along both coasts and the St. Johns River and Lake Okeechobee. Its almost to Tampa now. For the time being, those that have the initial release v1 chip can return it for a replacement upgrade. I also added more depths within ENP and I'll be at Choko this month as well for about a week running the 10,000 islands to add tracks to that area.

v2Capture_zpse75e6a56.jpg
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Has anyone here navigated across the state through Lake O as shown here?
    Has anyone here navigated across the state through Lake O as shown here?

http://www.florida-backroads-travel.com/okeechobee-waterway.html
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Very cool. I've always heard it could be done but I've never traversed it myself.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    That would be a cool trip to take. Someone should organize an Egret trip and let us south Ga boys know when you do!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
    Very cool. I've always heard it could be done but I've never traversed it myself.

Lots of people make this trip in boats much larger than yours. You have to go through several locks. I hear most that do it find it a bit of an adventure. Many miles of remote boating. The problem for many in smaller boats is getting your trailer waiting for you at the other side so you don't have to run back 150 miles. One way is enough for most, particularly in an open skiff.

LakeO_zps16896f20.jpg
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Ran into Glenn down in Everglades City last weekend and he let me run one of his chips.
    The imagery is far superior to the Navionics Platnum +chip for this area.
    Night and day. End of discussion.
    No other chart chip compares.
    He was running some trails to update the chip for Everglades City to Lostman's River.
    What's interesting is when he gets done, it will be all of Florida and not just a region.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    The Egret Owners Florida tour Start from Jacksonville to Key West, up the west coast to Tampa/St Pete then cross through Okeechobee back up to J'vile. Open to all comers, er, like a sex club :)
    I just ran everglades city to Flamingo on the gulf side and back to everglades via whitewater in one day. That was long enough for a trip.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    How long until those updates are put into the chip?
    Want to get the software with all of the new tracks added. I saw Renegade 69 's and it was pretty spot on!
    The maps look awesome compared to my Navionics Platinum Plus!
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    How long until those updates are put into the chip?
    Want to get the software with all of the new tracks added. I saw Renegade 69 's and it was pretty spot on!
    The maps look awesome compared to my Navionics Platinum Plus!

It is spot on if your GPS is set to WAAS. The tracks are drawn with great precision.
    The updated 10000 islands will be added in and ready within a couple of weeks. A lot more tracks were added in this area. I ran the area on 4 days of negative tides finishing that. The photos for this area are very helpful as you can actually see most of what is there with respect to the shoals and bars even with the dirty water. There are some bays you can run only on plane at low tide and you need to know exacty where to pop up before the run. I am noting those spots to avoid a long arduous idle with a trimmed motor.

The release with imagery for all of FL wont be ready until probably Feb and will have tracks up the west coast through Tampa Bay and on the east coast through Stuart. The final release will be approx. next summer and have tracks for all of Florida including the St. Johns.
    Until the final State chip is complete, I am updating the chips for free as an addtional release is ready for anyone who bought a chip.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    I just ran everglades city to Flamingo on the gulf side and back to everglades via whitewater.

The Coast Guard has notified Everglades National Park that they will no longer maintain the aids to navigation in Whitewater Bay.
    There currently is a proposal to remove them now, so when they deteriorate, they will not become hazards.

The FMT chip will become even more valuable.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.