90hp or 115 hp yamaha ?

rbran1rbran1 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
I have a 1996 key west 1720 sportsman that I love fishing the flats, the 85 hp Yamaha has blown engine, I would like some input on repowering , the boat is rated for up to 120 hp,you would repower with 90 4 stroke or 115 4 stroke Yamaha ?

Replies

• anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    Depends on if the extra weight will be a issue if not go big and get there faster
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 886 Officer
    The F90 weighs in at 366# and the F115 is 377# for the 20" shaft models. Just be sure your scuppers are above water at rest.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Posts: 407 Deckhand
    i would go with 115 if possible. my father-in-law went from a 90 to a 115 on the same boat. it made a big difference in carrying a heavy load and hole shot
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)
  • reddawgreddawg Posts: 140 Deckhand
    The F90 weighs in at 366# and the F115 is 377# for the 20" shaft models. Just be sure your scuppers are above water at rest.
    This boat will have the scuppers below the water line with a 4 stroke. I have a 2003 model w/a 2 stroke Yam. 90 and the scuppers go under when I have the live well full of water. A 115 will make this boat scoot along pretty good. I like the 90 but at times (especially with a load) I wish I had a 115. Take a look at the E-tecs. The power to weight ratio is better. Good luck.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 337 Officer
    If it was me and I was re powering I would go with a 115 4 stroke. Between the motors to me gas mileage would be a wash, I would rather have more power and not use it on a regular basis, then need it and not have it. Weight is minimal these days, better resale down the road. The ability to. Load the boat down and still perform, and that speed to keep up with others.
    There is one exactly like that with the 115 on Craigs List. You may want to ask him about any issues. Just let him know you are repowering your own boat, otherwise everything will be perfect.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

There is one exactly like that with the 115 on Craigs List. You may want to ask him about any issues. Just let him know you are repowering your own boat, otherwise everything will be perfect.

http://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/4628101765.html

• rbran1rbran1 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    thanks for all the replies, I called Key West today and they suggested the f90la because of the weight, they said it would as fast as the 85hp Yamaha , thanks again
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 337 Officer
    I'm surprised they would suggest the 90 over the 115 and cite weight when there's about 10 pounds of difference.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 501 Officer
    The "new" 115HP is lighter than the outgoing "old"115HP. Make sure you are getting Yamaha's latest model 115 if you are concerned about weight!