Suwannee Fridat and Sat. 9/12 and 9/13

Friday: Finally got the artist formally known as groupergetter (Steve) to take a day off and hit the water with me for some Triple tail action before they (the triple tail) leave for the winter. Put the boat in at day break and headed to the spot. Did not take long and we had our 4 in the box. Switched gears then and headed to some creek mouths for some redfish. The water was already getting low so we did not have a lot of time out front but managed two upper slot reds on top water. Both released. We then headed back into a creek on the low water and started throwing soft plastics. Caught about 20 rats and 5 more mid slot reds before calling it around noon.

Saturday: Had the rare opportunity to fish with my only brother. Can you guess what he wanted to catch. So we headed back down to the river. We actually hit the redfish first due to the outgoing tide. He wanted top water out front and that window was closing early. First bar we hit I get a fat 26.5" red. Then a few jack and another 26.75" red. My brother followed me up with two 23" reds. With our limit complete we head to the triple tail. As we trolling motor up to the first pole, a 10 pounder sky rockets 6 feet in the air about 75 yards out in the open. First time I have seen one free jump. My brother makes a cast at the pole and hooks up instantly. The fish gave two amazing jumps and spits the hook. We move on to the next marker and we both hook up and put two 10 pounders in the box. On to the next spot. I get another nice 10 pounder in the box and my brother gets broke off. At this point the cooler lid will not seal. We hit several more spots and miss several more fish before calling it a day around noon. "The funny for the day". We get back to the ramp and my brother backs the truck in. I load the boat and He pulls me out. A guy and his wife were sitting in there truck. He ask my brother if we caught any thing. My brother says "We caught some of the biggest blue gills I have ever seen". "They must be 10 pounds". They guy laughs. My brother walks back to the boat and pulls one of the triple tail out and the guy and his wife start flipping out. Many words I am not allowed to type were said. So now there is a guy and his wife telling stories of the 10 pound blue gill they saw. lol

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,881 Captain
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Captain
    Suhweet! Can't believe I missed you boys at the biscuit stop on Friday.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    I always kinda thought they did look like enormous panfish. I went looking for some around HSB and musta been holding my mouth wrong cuz I didn't catch anything. You've got it dialed tho for sure.
  • PumaPuma Lake PanasoffkeePosts: 3 Greenhorn

Hey,
    Not trying to hijack your thread...but I just dont see many posts pertaining to suwannee. I have my boat stored at the marina and have just started fishing the area. I took my lil girl out last weekend and found all the dead fish due to red tide...so we moved back into the river.

There were redfish rolling all around the boat where we were just floating around...but I couldnt get one to bite on anything....Is there any way I could get a little advice on what to do around the suwannee area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....oh and my boat is a small 17 ft. key west...says "mud bug" on the side.

-Puma-

• Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    I really only throw three things at redfish. I throw top water (skitterwalks) in low light. Early, late and overcast. Or I throw zoom flukes on 1/8 jig heads and spinner baits. I have not used any kind of live bait in many years. Some thing you need to know about redfish. A lot of people mistake 3 or 4 pound mullet with redfish. They make big pushes and big boils. They also mistake tailing black drum with redfish. I target redfish in shallow water, not deep holes. If a redfish is in shallow water, he is there for one reason. To feed. If he is laid up in a deep hole he might eat or he might not. Live bait is a must then. When I say shallow, I mean water less than 3 foot in creek mouths around oyster bars. Avoid anchoring. Use your trolling motor to cover ground.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    Those are some nice tripletail for sure. My favorite on the plate.
  • Proline2357Proline2357 Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    :rotflmao Look a little more like a shell cracker
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,132 Moderator
    Good to see Groupergetter again. Was wondering if maybe the hogs ate him or something. :cool:

Nice trips !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
    I really only throw three things at redfish. I throw top water (skitterwalks) in low light. Early, late and overcast. Or I throw zoom flukes on 1/8 jig heads and spinner baits. I have not used any kind of live bait in many years. Some thing you need to know about redfish. A lot of people mistake 3 or 4 pound mullet with redfish. They make big pushes and big boils. They also mistake tailing black drum with redfish. I target redfish in shallow water, not deep holes. If a redfish is in shallow water, he is there for one reason. To feed. If he is laid up in a deep hole he might eat or he might not. Live bait is a must then. When I say shallow, I mean water less than 3 foot in creek mouths around oyster bars. Avoid anchoring. Use your trolling motor to cover ground.

Yep...what he said^^^. I'll add a gold Johnson Sprite spoon isn't a bad alternative either but you need to keep it close to the top when fishing oyster bars.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Ok, did those bluegill bite on crickets. .....:grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • JimboleusJimboleus Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    can't help but notice it and I maybe wrong,,Is that a fairly large mullet in the pic laying away from the reds?
    Yes, it was a suicidal mullet. Jumped in the boat. I was going to throw it back but my brother wanted it.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    That's funny, the first tripletail I ever caught was in ten thousand islands, at the mouth of Roger's river, and I thought I had caught the world record blue gill.......
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • pergatronpergatron Posts: 251 Deckhand
    nice trips baby
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Billy wrote: »
    Yep...what he said^^^. I'll add a gold Johnson Sprite spoon isn't a bad alternative either but you need to keep it close to the top when fishing oyster bars.

Bill

I think it's pretty cool that you gize are sharing yer top secret redfishing info w/ Puma on his first post!! That's something you don't see on all forums and that's what sets us apart from other forums and areas on this forum I have seen! Daz just how we roll here in the BB!!! If it were not for this forum, I'd be fishless even more than on my usual trips!!! So thanks to all Y'all who have helped me and so many others over the years!!!
    Oh, almost forgot> Awesome fish as usual Scotty!!! No one catches dem big bream like you do, not around here anyways!!!
    Also welcome Puma to our forum> Nebee'z buy> I'll have a rumrunner toped off w/ a Dark Meyer'z floater!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Awesome on both trips! Are the 3Ts leaving or have you caught them all?:grin
    First cold front, there gone. But the reds will be on fire.
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    Nice work as usual Scott, and yeah I could see some believing those were some prehistoric pan fish, I'm with Marrio, some of my favorite table fare for sure