Lock for iPilot Minn Kota Bracket

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
I have the iPilot with removable bracket.

What's the best lock to use on the bracket?

I had one in the past but it was really weak. I am now just using copper wire to hold it together.

Replies

• edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    I found a brass/stainless lock at HD about 4 years ago, still looking good and works good. A shot of Corrosion x every do often.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Walmart has a couple small padlocks, Master, etc.. good security against an "impulse steal"

Whatever you go with I'm not aware of anything on the market that I would trust for much more than a quick dock-up at a waterside restaurant. I won't even leave mine on the night before a trip. Unless I'm awake and within 100 yards of my boat, the MK comes off.
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,769 Admin
    I use a brass padlock.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • jershjersh Posts: 90 Deckhand
    I'm guessing that like most locks, whatever you use, it will be really good at keeping honest people from stealing your iPilot. If a crook really wants it, he will get it regardless of the security mechanism in place. I know this is a 100% nonhelpful post but I'm just stating the obvious. If I had a trolling motor with a quick release mount on it, I would quickly release the motor every time I wasn't on the boat.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    jersh wrote: »
    I'm guessing that like most locks, whatever you use, it will be really good at keeping honest people from stealing your iPilot. If a crook really wants it, he will get it regardless of the security mechanism in place. I know this is a 100% nonhelpful post but I'm just stating the obvious. If I had a trolling motor with a quick release mount on it, I would quickly release the motor every time I wasn't on the boat.

This, Locks only keep out the honest folks.
    That's why its important to lock it and have insurance.
    FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 269 Deckhand
    I use a padlock that is made by ABUS. They are all stainless steel. Sold at West Marine. Have had it for over a year on my I pilot quick release bracket. It looks and functions like the day I bought it.
    I do take the motor off when I store the boat, but will leave it on overnight when fishing the next day.

If a p.o.s thief wants it, he'll get it no matter what lock you have.