New to me 2004 Gheenoe

thelmuththelmuth Posts: 26 Greenhorn
It all started when I found a 10hp Honda 4 stroke at a garage sale with a price I couldn't pass up. The only decision was to freshen it up and resell it for a couple hundred profit or... find something to put it on. I already have an 18' boat that we use frequently, but I can't get into shallow water with it. So it was a pretty easy decision. After a few weeks of looking I found this one.
IMG_0762_zpsdbb61287.jpg
IMG_0760_zpsd7d74c6c.jpg

I have had it out 3 times now and love it. We also have kayaks which are fun and obviously able to get shallow but the paddling is getting hard on my back after a couple hours, and I can't stand up in it. The Gheenoe is completely different. Standing is not a problem, in fact I spend most of my time standing. I do sit though for anything above idle speed. My balance isn't that great.

It didn't come with a trailer so that was my next quest. I found this homemade one for a decent price and with a little customization I was ready to go boating. I still need to get the winch post welded into the new location, but with as light as Gheenoes are it's not a problem pulling it onto the trailer by hand. I also want to move the axle to the very back of the frame and install guide posts with the lights mounted high. All that for another week.

The first thing I did was mount a seat on a swivel base. That lasted 2 trips before the swivel got loose and the seat started digging into the bench. Apparently a previous owner had the same issue because most of the damage was existing. That is totally unacceptable, I'm not going to let a seat tear up my boat so I decided to go with some new seat post bases, front and rear. My wife was complaining that I didn't have a seat up front for her. I was going to put the front one on too, but the jack nuts were stripped out. I ordered a batch of jack nuts for the new seat mounts and for the removable front deck.
IMG_0793_zpsa806db40.jpg
IMG_0792_zps1083ab4b.jpg

I was telling my wife about the front deck I want to make and her first question was "Will it be removable for when we go river running together?", of course I said yes. Now to figure out how to make it sturdy yet easily removable. This is what I came up with.
IMG_0786_zps781a01bb.jpg

I have a hatch cover on order to fill the access hole. I considered just hinging the cutout but like the sturdiness of a true hatch. It is held in place by 2 screws into jack nuts I installed in the bench and there is a front support attached to the plywood templated to fit the hull. I also drilled access for the seat post to go in.
IMG_0787_zps3a193177.jpg
IMG_0788_zps1eb0a175.jpg
IMG_0789_zps5f7ae5cc.jpg
IMG_0790_zps2af73553.jpg
IMG_0791_zps1f1b1264.jpg

I considered glassing the plywood, but since it is so easily removable, I'm not concerned about it weathering and I'm just going to paint it. Yes the screws on the one picture are sticking out of the wood and could hurt someone while handling. I am going to cut them flush with the wood before I paint.

What do y'all think?

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    you could always use some thinned epoxy as your first coat to help seal the wood for some extra longevity.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Is that marine grade plywood? If not I would stain it or seal it at a minimum.

Another product you may want to look at for the wood is called Durabak. I used it on the wood floor of my old bass tracker. It seals the wood and also give you some traction for anti-slip.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,179 Captain
    I think you have a great rig there. Nice customization. Some have been built at the factory with similar deck arrangement.
    Congrats!
    Show us more photos once painted etc!
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • NOEreelIDEANOEreelIDEA Posts: 98 Deckhand
    take a look at customgheenoe.com it is a great forum and a lot of good info on the highsider or 15'4" gheenoe that you have
  • thelmuththelmuth Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I have been to customgheenoe.com, in fact this is a duplicate of a post I made there.

I probably will seal the ply with epoxy before painting. I have some left over from another project and it would probably be just about the right amount.

I'll post more pics after I get the next phase done.
  • jawzjawz Posts: 137 Officer
    do I see drywall screws ???
    No drywall screws, coated deck screws.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,095 Admiral
    If you use it in salt water you should use nothing but SS, even those will rust eventually.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    It's been a few weeks but I finally have the hatch finished. I used up some epoxy resin that I had left from another project and gave the plywood with two coats, after that I put two coats of the Rustoleum Marine Topside paint that Lowes sells with a third coat on the top with anti-skid additive. I think it turned out very well. BTW, I did replace the deck screws with SS before epoxy coating everything.

23673A71-B402-4CBF-BAF3-19C2330D178E_zpskslquvjr.jpg
    EECC5656-3BE6-4BCE-AC58-B252CA376FFE_zpsh82v9sqw.jpg

I also added giude posts to the trailer and relocated the lights to them.

9E0AF54F-F799-454C-A58A-2E5730859EA2_zpstdkoefel.jpg

And I made a stake out pole. I ordered 3/4" solid fiberglass rods from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003405FVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

4256CC4F-3694-40E7-8FFF-54FE0B993227_zpsvxjmvk9u.jpg

I ordered 2 to save a little bit on shipping and made one for my other boat also. I epoxied a PVC plumbing tee to the top for a handle/place to loop a line through and took the belt sander to the other end to make a point.

ADA101DE-8463-44E5-9895-7459F8A94C9F_zpsag10ijfn.jpg
    2BB8541A-2C06-45D1-BA65-AAFF6005AD8C_zpsxmuuv9p4.jpg

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but it should work a whole lot better than the green plant stakes I tried previously. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardener-s-Blue-Ribbon-8-ft-Sturdy-Stake-ST8/100615760 . Those are a hollow steel tube coated with plastic and bent rather than flexed.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    That's a nice rig.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 430 Deckhand
    Nice i have one the same year
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)