New to me 2004 Gheenoe

thelmuththelmuth Posts: 26 Greenhorn
It all started when I found a 10hp Honda 4 stroke at a garage sale with a price I couldn't pass up. The only decision was to freshen it up and resell it for a couple hundred profit or... find something to put it on. I already have an 18' boat that we use frequently, but I can't get into shallow water with it. So it was a pretty easy decision. After a few weeks of looking I found this one.
IMG_0762_zpsdbb61287.jpg
IMG_0760_zpsd7d74c6c.jpg

I have had it out 3 times now and love it. We also have kayaks which are fun and obviously able to get shallow but the paddling is getting hard on my back after a couple hours, and I can't stand up in it. The Gheenoe is completely different. Standing is not a problem, in fact I spend most of my time standing. I do sit though for anything above idle speed. My balance isn't that great.

It didn't come with a trailer so that was my next quest. I found this homemade one for a decent price and with a little customization I was ready to go boating. I still need to get the winch post welded into the new location, but with as light as Gheenoes are it's not a problem pulling it onto the trailer by hand. I also want to move the axle to the very back of the frame and install guide posts with the lights mounted high. All that for another week.

The first thing I did was mount a seat on a swivel base. That lasted 2 trips before the swivel got loose and the seat started digging into the bench. Apparently a previous owner had the same issue because most of the damage was existing. That is totally unacceptable, I'm not going to let a seat tear up my boat so I decided to go with some new seat post bases, front and rear. My wife was complaining that I didn't have a seat up front for her. I was going to put the front one on too, but the jack nuts were stripped out. I ordered a batch of jack nuts for the new seat mounts and for the removable front deck.
IMG_0793_zpsa806db40.jpg
IMG_0792_zps1083ab4b.jpg

I was telling my wife about the front deck I want to make and her first question was "Will it be removable for when we go river running together?", of course I said yes. Now to figure out how to make it sturdy yet easily removable. This is what I came up with.
IMG_0786_zps781a01bb.jpg

I have a hatch cover on order to fill the access hole. I considered just hinging the cutout but like the sturdiness of a true hatch. It is held in place by 2 screws into jack nuts I installed in the bench and there is a front support attached to the plywood templated to fit the hull. I also drilled access for the seat post to go in.
IMG_0787_zps3a193177.jpg
IMG_0788_zps1eb0a175.jpg
IMG_0789_zps5f7ae5cc.jpg
IMG_0790_zps2af73553.jpg
IMG_0791_zps1f1b1264.jpg

I considered glassing the plywood, but since it is so easily removable, I'm not concerned about it weathering and I'm just going to paint it. Yes the screws on the one picture are sticking out of the wood and could hurt someone while handling. I am going to cut them flush with the wood before I paint.

What do y'all think?

Replies