Home Egret Boats

WHY ARE EGRETS THE BEST?

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    TGUNN,

I know you are a lawyer and make your living distorting the truth, but try to muster up a measure of the logic you needed to pass your LSAT and apply it to the facts here.

You posted that "a stringer was damaged". Nothing has been said as to how or why. If I furiously took a sledgehammer to my hull, I would have a damaged hull. If someone posted "a new 2015 189 has hull damage", the omission of key contextual factors would make the statement misleading. Same thing if the damage were a manufacturing defect; stating only the damage with no supporting facts would be irresponsible and incomplete. Moreover, you taking issue with mentioning the engine repair shows your lack of objectivity. The engine repair IS suspect, but more importantly it is holding up the inspection and repair of the boat.

A company should be given the chance to investigate this kind of damage, and Egret is doing that. You nor I are the authority on how long that investigation should take. Be patient and wait on the facts. You have nothing more than your infamous incendiary commentary to offer until you obtain or share more information.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Does the actual boat owner have a computer or a phone to call Frank? Every thread ends up talking about this mystery owner with the mystery problem? Is there a moderator in the house? If an owner is worried about the quality or company they should sell or not buy the brand. Thankfully there are an awful lot of us that have owned many of them and call Frank mostly to thank him for an awesome experience. Tight Lines or now fresh venison (for our GA owners). Save me some back strap BB I'll be on the farm in Calvary soon!
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    UFGator86 wrote: »
    Does the actual boat owner have a computer or a phone to call Frank? Every thread ends up talking about this mystery owner with the mystery problem? Is there a moderator in the house? If an owner is worried about the quality or company they should sell or not buy the brand. Thankfully there are an awful lot of us that have owned many of them and call Frank mostly to thank him for an awesome experience. Tight Lines or now fresh venison (for our GA owners). Save me some back strap BB I'll be on the farm in Calvary soon!

Will do! Hoping for some cooler temps really soon! I have a furniture show this weekend but I'm hoping it will cool off some before the following weekend!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    TGunn wrote: »
    I'm not the one who holds himself out as Southeastern Egret Headquarters, Pete. You are. I offered what I could state publicly and have offered a bit more privately to Bad Behavior, FlatsBoy and UFGator, as they can ttest. I offered you the same means of gathering information which you declined by not responding to my PM that offered you more info.

If you're implying that I'm holding out on you, that's pretty funny. Not as funny as me suddenly having the responsibility to investigate the matter simultaneously with you, but funny nonetheless.

As I have said to others on here: If Egret is handling it under warranty, that's all I'd need to know.

Here's the bottom line: I'm not here to smear Egret. I'm here to see how they handle the stringer issue as someone potentially interested in purchasing a 2011 when it comes time to repower my ****, derelict, slow, wet, poorly built Backwater.

It could very well be abuse or a lower unit strike issue. I have no idea, nor do I imply that I do without seeing the boat----which is what you did that sent us down this track to begin with.

I could care less if a Bird Boat had a bad stringer or why; it's how the factory handles it that I'm interested in.
    I was waiting to give you guys an update when I had something positive to say. Unfortunately we have not had access to the boat. So until the owner gets his boat back from the outboard mechanic, it's schedule to be this coming Friday. We can't fix a boat that we don't have, it's that simple.

TGunn, It's been the same amount of time since you mentioned this issue, please feel free to update the forum on what you know. 'm sure some maybe curious. Also, any idea what he'sgetting fixed on he motor? Hopefully, you can do that before I have any other updates to post.

TGunn Please don't give me titles. Additionally, I have not asked you to investigate anything. The factory will address the warranty issue with the owner, which you are not.

From your comment "I offered what I could state publicly" it's sounds like you have a client that was injured in a boating accident or due to the operator being negligent.

What is very interesting is that the owner choose to repair the outboard before repairing the boat. It seems as if he's his trying to hide something?
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    TGunn Please don't give me titles. Then stop handling this for the factory and acting as their mouthpiece. Additionally, I have not asked you to investigate anything. Then why ask what additional facts I've uncovered? The factory will address the warranty issue with the owner, which you are not. So I'm not allowed to ask about it??

From your comment "I offered what I could state publicly" it's sounds like you have a client that was injured in a boating accident or due to the operator being negligent. Really? That's what you inferred from that statement?
    If you'd have privately contacted me then you'd realize how completely silly this inference is. I don't even practice personal injury law.

What is very interesting is that the owner choose to repair the outboard before repairing the boat. It seems as if he's his trying to hide something? Maybe! Or maybe a mechanic found a stringer issue while rigging something on the boat or replacing a fuel line? Again, you don't know but here you are making your own implications with no knowledge.
    If they guy is hiding something I hope Egret tells him to pound sand; no reason to drive up costs for other owners or buyers.

The bottom line for anyone in South Florida reading this, regardless of the outcome of the issue, is to deal directly with the factory and not let Pete have anything whatsoever to do with handling any potential warralnty claim you may have.

You think that Egret's quality is being dragged through the mud on this thread; it's not. My question about what's going on with the stringer issue shouldn't sway a single person to not buy one. But the response to that question by by you isn't doing much for them.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Subscribed....for what it's worth I've spent some time on an older L&B and lot of time on an Egret 19'. I like them both and the quality of the Egret is top notch. However, the L&B is hands down the best high speed flats/bay boat I've ever been on. It's so much better than the Egret, it's not even a fair fight. Rock solid, drier, and handles like it's on rails.
    Subscribed....for what it's worth I've spent some time on an older L&B and lot of time on an Egret 19'. I like them both and the quality of the Egret is top notch. However, the L&B is hands down the best high speed flats/bay boat I've ever been on. It's so much better than the Egret, it's not even a fair fight. Rock solid, drier, and handles like it's on rails.

What size L&B and what model?

2f07s79.gif
    2f07s79.gif
    Like I told you before, the L&B series of vessels are fine crafts. I rode a 2004 Backwater 20 and a 2005 Boca 20 before buying my 2011. The L&B boats were faster and they did handle well in smooth conditions. When we hit the chop it was backing out of the throttle time. In my opinion, the 2011 was much drier and definitely handled the chop much better. I don't care about going 80 mph in a flats boat and I can't think of many times the conditions allowed for it. I respect this guys opinion but my observations were much different. Guess that's why they make more than one brand of boat. We all have our preferences. If he was comparing a 189 to a 20 Boca, I would expect it to ride better.it's a foot and a half longer. I wonder if he's ridden a 2011? If he hasn't, I bet his opinion about handling and dryness would change if he did. But maybe not... We all have opinions.

Measured at the waterline, I would bet that a 189 is as long if not longer than a 20 boca, backwater, or backcountry.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Measured at the waterline, I would bet that a 189 is as long if not longer than a 20 boca, backwater, or backcountry.

The 20 Boca is allot heavier and will have better displacement than a 189. Either way its a boat and get in the one you like.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Heavier? Are you kidding?

You can't be serious. There's hardly anything to it; I was stunned when I saw one being built.

I like both and would get in either. And do.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    You and I have had this same discussion. I know my 18.9 is as long as your Backwater, and as long as BC's Boca. Would not be surprised if your waterline is longer than the Boca as the Boca has a long skinny bow point that does not correlate to it's waterline.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Does Lake and Bay still build boats?
    UFGator86 wrote: »
    Does Lake and Bay still build boats?

There were two L&B entities. Tom Gordon of Islamorada Boat Works now owns the molds for the 20 Boca, 20 Backwater, 22 Backwater (bay) and 24 Backwater Bay and is producing them out in Titusville.

The 21 Boca mold, which came out in 2010, is still owned by a company controlled by Mike DelDuca, who was the last owner of L&B.

Does that answer your question? Or did you actually have a question?
    You and I have had this same discussion. I know my 18.9 is as long as your Backwater, and as long as BC's Boca. Would not be surprised if your waterline is longer than the Boca as the Boca has a long skinny bow point that does not correlate to it's waterline.

My hull has the same "point," the purpose/utility of which is only to get it over the 20' mark so that it can have unlimited horsepower per the Code of Federal Regulations.
    Heavier? Are you kidding?

You can't be serious. There's hardly anything to it; I was stunned when I saw one being built.

I like both and would get in either. And do.

The Egret 189 is 850 lbs in the C/k and the Boca Grande is 950.
    http://www.lakeandbayboats.com/models.html
    So you're comparing a c/k 189 to a glass L&B?

You realize the LB is also available in c/k, right?

: |
    No Just Kevlar. . They do not make a carbon kevlar model and the site does not list it lighter. So how many Boca Grands have sunk in Charlotte Harbor? No Egrets because they are true self bailing.
    giphy.gif
    I'm not arguing the merits of the LB or Backwater versus the Egret. Intrepid377 was.

If you want a real answer (which you don't but I'll humor you)

I know a lot of folks have sunk their LBs because of the low freeboard and getting them pinched at docks; I don't know of any that have sunk from getting swamped. You only have about 6" of rising tide at most if the rear deck gets pinched. If you don't know how to dock you boat then brand really isn't the problem. And the water that sinks a pinched boat doesn't come through the cockpit.

As far as being self-bailing, that's a whole different argument. I'll just say that a lot more water will travel down a 5" rigging tube than the scuppers on any "self-bailing" flats boat regardless of brand when the cockpit fills up. The only "mayday" call I've ever made was on a so-called "self bailing" boat with similar scuppers.

So could you please describe to me the lack of "carbon" in a "kevlar" L&B? Ever see the hatch lids on one? They look pretty darn similar to Egret's "CARBOB/kevlar" lids. . .

You're drinking too much koolaid.

So about that stringer. Any news?
    By the way, my boat could be sinking, on fire, and getting hit by lightning simultaneously right now and it still wouldn't change any of the answers about the stringer on the Egret I asked about previously.

But if making remarks about me, my profession, my bank account, or my boat make you feel better, go ahead and pile on.
    Who cares about that stringer?? You just posted that he had to fix his motor. Obviously the operator has been in a boat accident. Probably drinking and driving. I am just copy and pasting from their web site. Maybe one day we can have a chat face to face. I will bring a booster seat for you so we can see eye to eye.

giphy.gif
    T-Gun Your the short guy to my right.
    I posted that somebody had to fix a motor?

What are you smoking? Pete the Egret Spokesman said that.

And who cares about the stringer? Seemingly everyone. Go look at the registration thread. It seems to have caused quite the stir.

I4MeF.gif
    All Joking aside. I really do not care. Pete did post that reading back. Its just a boat.

giphy.gif
    I agree! I'm nowhere near as bent about a stringer as some of these other guys are.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Dudes:

The gifs are getting about as old as emojis. Kinda like the rapper that needs a classic rock riff to make their crappy cut work.

stringers, self bailing cockpits, waterlines and CSI Egret. I think the I know the problem and the problem is me.

BTW, have I mentioned that my Egret is tippy?
    Dudes:

The gifs are getting about as old as emojis. Kinda like the rapper that needs a classic rock riff to make their crappy cut work.

jersey_shore_16.gif
    jersey_shore_16.gif

:wink:banana:cool:):rotflmao:rotflmao:Bike:hairraiser
  • PHOTOPHOTO Posts: 145 Officer
    SO WHY ARE EGRETS THE BEST AGAIN?
    PHOTO wrote: »
    SO WHY ARE EGRETS THE BEST AGAIN?

Entertainment value.