Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

D7000

barlow46barlow46 Senior MemberEdgewater, FLPosts: 312 Deckhand
Have a close friend who buys something new in the Nikon line ever three years or so and always offers me what he has been using before he puts it on the market for sale. I have been using a D200 I got from him about three years ago and like it but am thinking seriously of picking up his D7000 at the "special" friends and family discount. I will not be using the video feature on the D7000 that much so that is not a high priority. I presently use a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR most of the time on my D200. Opinions appreciated on the positives and negatives on the D7000.
East Coast Florida

Replies

• mississippi macmississippi mac Senior Member Ocean Springs, Ms. (da coast)Posts: 4,222 Captain
    go for it...
    if anything, ya can't beat the price....

i think Dave shoots sports with a d7000...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,491 AG
    Nope, D7100. I believe Craig has one or someone in the family.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • ChuckcChuckc Senior Member Posts: 4,397 Captain
    I've got one. It's a very capable body and would be a significant upgrade over the D200 in many ways.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Senior Member Stuart, FLAPosts: 10,024 AG
    I would jump on it, but not much more than $600 or so.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Senior Member Posts: 24,412 AG
    Flash wrote: »
    Nope, D7100. I believe Craig has one or someone in the family.

Correct. I have been hanging onto mine waiting to see what Nikon does about a replacement for the top of the mark on the DX-format side.

To be direct, I like my D90 more. It has snappier and more accurate AF. The AF issues on the D7000 are well documented in the literature. Just use the Google Machine and search for the AF disgruntlement.

Also, the buffer is disappointingly shallow. I can live with the frames per second but really wish the buffer were deeper. Now with that said I usually shoot 12-bit, lossless RAW. If you are a JPG shooter you will be happier than I am.

On the upside, the color is stunning. The video is quite good. It is a reliable workhorse and is currently second from the top on the DX side.

If you cannot spring the $1100 for a D7100 body, then do the deal with your friend. At this point I would not pay more than about $600 for a copy unless it was shot very little.

I have over 80K actuations on mine and will be at the Nikon stated 100K actuation limit by the end of Jennifer's street painting season, in December. I have had no reliability issues nor has it been to Nikon for service. I have converted to FX format for some shooting other than birds, planes and races. So my DX format stuff is generally relegated to sitting on the stand and shooting timelapse. The internal timelapse counter is handy for that.

As Chuck says above, it would be a big jump from a D200 but in today's world the D7000 is just a camera, nothing special, when compared to Nikon's other offerings.

Edit: One last point. I rarely go above ISO 800, even with long glass and at the edges of day, as I find any higher is unacceptable to my critical eye. Occasionally, and I mean occasionally, I will go above ISO 800 but if I do I am in the "I gotta get the shot" territory. My FX cameras shoot acceptably two more stops higher (ISO 3200.) However, let us all remember we are spoiled in this digital era..........
  • barlow46barlow46 Senior Member Edgewater, FLPosts: 312 Deckhand
    Thanks for the information. My price would be a couple of ticks below the $600 so I may go ahead and take it and keep my 200 just in case I decide to pass it on to someone else at a later date and down the road I may look at a serious upgrade. He just received his new 610 so that may be available to me in a couple of years. Nice to have a close friend who likes to upgrade frequently....
    East Coast Florida
    I predict his D610 will become available VERY soon, as the D750, it's replacement, just hit the marketplace.
    Update: turned down the 7000 but did take him up on the 18-200mm VRII 3.5-5.6 lens lens he had. He's picking up a 28-300 fx to for his full frame 610. I have decide to look for a D300 or 300s for now and see if his 610 become available in a couple of years. If you hear of a D300(s) with under 35,000 actuations, let me know. I have located one about an hour away. Still looking at sales to determine if price is about right. Thanks.

Nikon D300 DSLR and Extras - Like New - $650
    Shutter has 6,315 actuations
    Nikon D300
    Like new
    Kirk Tripod "L" Bracket (a $100+ value)
    Battery
    Battery Charger
    4 GB CF card
    UPStrap
    Manual
    East Coast Florida
    That would be a good deal. DO it. I would then turn around and sell the Kirk "L" bracket for $60, but that is just me.
  • eorlandoeorlando Senior Member Posts: 560 Officer
    I have a d300 with low shutter count that I would be willing to part with. It comes with a nikon grip as well and I think 3 extra batteries. Give me call if you are interested. 239-225-3093

I forgot to mention I have the original box and everything that came with it as well. 2 cf cards as well.

Edit. Just got home and checked the exif data. Just under 15,000 clicks. Practically brand new still.
  • eorlandoeorlando Senior Member Posts: 560 Officer
    Price?

I'd be willing to sell it for the same price the original poster was going to pay for the other D300… $650 shipped and insured.
    Will give you a call tomorrow.
    East Coast Florida
    Eric,
    Good talking with you about the D300. I'm gonna pass for now as I am still thinking this whole deal through. Don't want to hold up a sale for you and will keep an eye on what happens with your D300.
    East Coast Florida