CK - 8/30 - half day trip... full size fish

Got a very late start on Saturday with searching for shallow water grouper... didn't get to our first spot until 10am.

We started off in 20' of water, but no one was eating.

Went out a tiny bit further, afraid for the redtide... and at ~28' we found'm.

First hit is on my spinning outfit (40lb braid on stradic 5000) on frozen bait. He put up an awesome fight, really testing my abilities. Got'm to the boat... 12lbs on the grip.

15088415795_9e64fa7aa8_b.jpg

Right afterwards, we get another hit on the heavier gear and manage to find a smaller, but still legal, Gag (on live pin).

14901830288_712f878aa5_b.jpg

...now, this was Morgan's first time grouper fishing. She is an accomplished fly fisher from the north, and so the pull of the grouper impressed her.

I decided to take it to an '11', however, and setup another live pin, this time on the lighter spinning gear. A few moments later she's on, and the drag is going off (...we keep the drag on this reel at about 95% to have a chance). She's even palming it to slow it down... but then he rocks her. But, he's still on... so we're waiting, and I'm contemplating pulling the anchor to chase him down when I see the rod bounce. I yell, "he's out! reel!" and she's back on the attack. After a solid fight, we got the red grouper to the boat: 14.1lbs, 28".

Her first grouper trip... I told'er she's officially spoiled.

15085392191_02e1a72311_b.jpg

We ran over to Sea Horse Reef to let her experience some ladyfish/seatrout action for about 30m, and were back at the dock by about 2:30pm.

Replies

• bonebone Posts: 1,081 Officer
    Excellent fish. This maybe the only time in our lives we can catch big red grouper in under 30 feet in the big bend.
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 556 Officer
    :thumbsup
    Grasshopper
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Nice report. Glad you found them.
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    :beer Nice work!!! After all of the bad news this month we're finally seeing some daylight. BTW that is a HOG red! :beer
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    Sounds like a similar day to the ones I had! Glad everyone else is getting on them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,866 Captain
    Excellent report! I bet Morgan's hooked on grouper fishing now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 414 Deckhand
    She'll have to work hard to top that 28 incher. That's a beast! Good job.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,594 Moderator
    Those reds are PIGS and in under 30' of water. Impressive.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    Very nice.....:thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Wow those are some nice ones. WTG!!!
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Awesome! Well done!
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Sweet.
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 806 Officer
    Awesome full size fish. Normally I catch half size fish on a full day trip. My half size fish rarely get above 12 inches.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 629 Officer
    Awesome full size fish. Normally I catch half size fish on a full day trip. My half size fish rarely get above 12 inches.

:rotflmao
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Super nice fish and report. Thanks for posting & congratulations!

How was the trout & ladyfish bite on SeaHorse? I am looking forward to bringing the kids over for that bite.
    Brian
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 629 Officer
    Super nice fish and report. Thanks for posting & congratulations!

How was the trout & ladyfish bite on SeaHorse? I am looking forward to bringing the kids over for that bite.
    Brian

We literally spent 30 min there, and I just made 2 drifts/passes over a random spot (not even anything I've marked before). In that time we found a few short trout (both sand and speckled) and one large lady fish. All were on paddle tails/weighted jig heads.

I have not fished the reef in probably ~2 months, so I don't know how it's been. Water clarity was pretty bad, and there was plenty of bait around.
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    Nice haul in that depth, perhaps you found some smart fish that avoided the RT
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,449 Officer
    She is spoiled now.
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Posts: 417 Officer
    Great Report!!! Some awesome reds there now..............WooHoo!!!!!