If you didn't have a boat...

2»

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,162 AG
    Just to be clear, I was making no judgements. There is no question that even at the smallest level...boats cost money! So, It is very possible some is financial issues.

And I agree, that wading is a deadly tactic..in fact, the best option for real quality Trout.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    It's a combination of things Duck, naturally I enjoy my solo time, but I don't have any secret spots or secret techniques. I just work really hard for my fish. I don't have anything to sell, and I have no interest in promoting anything for anyone. I don't fish weekends or holidays, I have no family to speak of, no pets, and very few obligations. Makes it easy for me to put in alot more hours than the next guy, and makes my time on the water pretty much irrelevant to the weekend angler.

I understand....especially the solo time. I really enjoy being out at the first blush of gray drinking my coffee as I head to what i think will be a "good place to start".

My wife for the longest time was very vocal about me becoming a guide after I retired. It was a battle to explain to her that I worked hard in my career...raised my children and now I want to just fish and have fun...not teach...or take people out. If someone is on my skiff...it is because they have been invited!

And the whole " Nothing to sell" I understand completely...I'm not trying to drum up guiding business..nor tell anyone to "buy my frilly gill lures"... I do reports so people will be motivated to go fish. Since you live somewhat local to me you know just how badly our inshore habitat has suffered...I want people to know there are still fish to catch...but they won't come to you...you gotta go gettim'!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    I hate to say it, but I guess I'd still fish...? I don't know how I'd go about it, or what I would do. I've had a boat of some kind ever since I was 4 years old. I remember briefly fishing from a dock when I was 8-9- I was on restriction for something stupid and, my dad took my boat privilege away from me for 3 months. I HATED it! I don't know how to pier fish, bank fish or even wade fish, but I would welcome the challenge....hell, live bait fishing for me is a task!

I guess I'd fish, but I'd have to learn all over again. Interesting topic Duck, guess it's something I've obviously taken for granted my whole life. Never really thought much about until just now. Thanks!
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,338 Captain
    twirp wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I guess I'd still fish...? I don't know how I'd go about it, or what I would do. I've had a boat of some kind ever since I was 4 years old. I remember briefly fishing from a dock when I was 8-9- I was on restriction for something stupid and, my dad took my boat privilege away from me for 3 months. I HATED it! I don't know how to pier fish, bank fish or even wade fish, but I would welcome the challenge....hell, live bait fishing for me is a task!

I guess I'd fish, but I'd have to learn all over again. Interesting topic Duck, guess it's something I've obviously taken for granted my whole life. Never really thought much about until just now. Thanks!

I tried for years to adjust to boat fishing, and even gave a few kayaks a try. It just isn't my thing. I'll fish with friends occasionally, on their boats, but it's less about fishing and more about spending time on the water with friends.
  • ReelinrudyReelinrudy Posts: 298 Deckhand
    I think a lot of boat anglers miss out on pier/bridge/surf/beach fishing. With a boat there is a large amount of work and frustration thrown into the mix. There's the obvious maintenance and repairs and upkeep, but also the cost of fuel, the effort to find fish once on the water, the confinement to a small deck, staying in one place once on fish, etc. Land based fishing can be simpler, and sometimes even more productive. I see anglers anchoring up right below bridges to fish. Why not fish off the bridge itself and save some hassle? Instead of chasing tarpon up and down the beach, why not post up on a pier and wait to intercept them, stealthily? On the flats, you can pole around and try to keep a low, quiet profile, but why not wade and make your presence even more concealed? I wish I had a boat, but you cannot convince me that a boat is the only, or even most effective, way to fish.
  • smoothiesmoothie Posts: 117 Deckhand
    Fish anywhere I can. Saw a guy out catch alot of people today at ponce inlet with a spinning rod turned upside down. Seriously.....upside down on the rocks with a girl screaming/rooting him on
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    For about ten years now, surf (or inlet) fishing has eclipsed all other types of fishing for me. I have a boat and live on the water but never use it.

There are a lot of monsters in the surf and a lot of variety too.

Heading out with one rod and a tackle bag, well before daylight, is probably my favorite. But I also have a beach cart with big wheels, which is great to use live-baiting, pompano fishing, or fishing with the young'uns.
  • BrentspeedgsxrBrentspeedgsxr Posts: 262 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I see people all the time walking out on the pier next to Sebastians boat ramp....and see people fishing around causeways etc.

If you owned a boat...but for some reason could not fish from your boat anymore.... would you still keep going fishing?
    I love fishing...and go every day....but, I don't know if I could just go stand on a pier and fish.

For about 2 years I shore fished. I would fish the relief bridge at 192, and caught a few decent fish doing that. I also waded a lot, I used to ride my bike down merritt island halfway down between mathers and pineda, and stash my bike in someones overgrown yard. Id lock it up and wade in and fish all around that area. It'd be 2:00 am and I would be out there in the dark wading around tripping over potholes in the rocks on that shoreline. Ive since learned of a few areas that are more accessable and less likely to produce a broken ankle... I only fish from the yak nowadays but I would still fish without it.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,490 Officer
    , and I do well enough to keep my reports to myself.

Besides the above, I agree on with a lot you have to say. I work from home, very flexible. I do not have any kids, no pets, just a lovely woman. Because of this, my weekday (prefer weekdays - like today would be ideal, most folks are spent because of long weekend, back to school for kids etc) fishing trips are 99% solo. I enjoy fishing with others, however, solo sometimes is way to go... Hence why I own a Go Pro.... Sometimes best trips are solo, and when I tell the guys of a dozen redfish day, I wanna be able to say "here you go". With all that said - surprised you would keep reports to yourself, especially a moderator. Is that not what keeps this forum going? Reports? Crazy, some peeps on here with 4,243 posts - and 9 of them are actual reports.

To the OP... YES. I dont own a boat, and fish more than the avg guy.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I mainly use my boat to GET to places to wade fish.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I see people all the time walking out on the pier next to Sebastians boat ramp....and see people fishing around causeways etc.

If you owned a boat...but for some reason could not fish from your boat anymore.... would you still keep going fishing?
    I love fishing...and go every day....but, I don't know if I could just go stand on a pier and fish.

I could fish from shore every day but I would never go stand on a pier and soak a bait. Wading, smaller bridges, seawalls, spillways, etc etc keeps your options more wide open then you would think.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,159 Admiral
    I would rather wade a flat than fish from a boat any day.
    Boats are confining, noisy, and generally a PITA. Means to an end.
    But they provide a lot opportunities that you otherwise
    wouldn't get. Most places I fish, you can't wade, you can't access w/o
    a boat.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    I would rather wade a flat than fish from a boat any day.
    Boats are confining, noisy, and generally a PITA. Means to an end.
    But they provide a lot opportunities that you otherwise
    wouldn't get. Most places I fish, you can't wade, you can't access w/o
    a boat.

Wading is good...except for my unnatural fear of stingrays ( Thanks steve Irwin :grin )

Also, In my area..You really need to run and gun for Reds( slot ) and big Trout....if you want to target them consistently....every day.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    As a young child I would almost daily ride my bike to the pier. I can remember as I got a little older saying to myself I can’t wait to get a boat. At 13 I got my first one and haven’t looked back. On occasion I fish from land with my grand sons; we do a little bass fishing from the lake behind their house.

I’ll be honest one of the reasons I fish is to get away from people; a boat lets me do that. I’m not limited when fishing from a boat; I can go where I want, when I want. If I did not have boats would I still fish, yes put probably not from the pier, beach and jetties, to many a holes at the piers.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,201 Captain
    Catch 22 wrote: »

I’ll be honest one of the reasons I fish is to get away from people; a boat lets me do that. I’m not limited when fishing from a boat; I can go where I want, when I want. If I did not have boats would I still fish, yes put probably not from the pier, beach and jetties, to many a holes at the piers.

This x2. Part of the enjoyment of fishing for me is to get out somewhere I wouldn't be able to otherwise... and that means I need a boat. If I didn't have a boat I'd probably only fish once a month at best.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    I ended up having to sell my boat in 2005 to pay for a new roof on the house. I didnt get another boat until late 2007. In that time period I learned how to fish from land really well. I fished the skyway piers in tampa alot and got to be really good at it. I think it helped me be a better all around angler.
  • TravellerTraveller Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    I have had a boat since 1993. I live in the mountains of NC, store my boat in Florida, and get to come down and fish on my boat about once a month. Last time I went, it took me an hour to load the boat (since I have to haul my equipment from NC), and an 1 1/2 hours to finish unloading and cleaning the boat at the end of the day. Had a great day on the water fishing for reds, tarpon, sharks - pretty much everything that was biting that day. I fished on the Jax Beach pier the next day. Had the pier cart and fishing equipment loaded in the truck in 5 minutes, and arrived at the pier 10 minutes later. Fished all day, went back to the hotel and unloaded everything in just a few minutes.

I will retire from teaching in January, 2016. After a 37 year career in education, my gross pay from the state retirement system will be less than my net now. I have no idea what I will actually bring home after the feds and state of NC tax the poo out of it, but it won't be nearly what I make now. My wife won't move to Florida, so I'll be staying in NC when I retire. A fishing trip to Florida costs me between $500 and $1,000, (most of it for fuel and hotel) depending on how many days I stay. That doesn't include monthly storage of the boat, maintenance, insurance, boat fuel, tackle, etc.

I am now struggling with the reality that keeping and using a boat in Florida after I retire is going to eat up too much of my income to be practical. I enjoy fishing on piers, bridges, and on the beach. Whatever it takes, I'll find a way to continue fishing, with or without the boat. Maybe take a charter trip as a treat every so often.
  • CocoCoco Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I have never owned a boat. I feel there is a sort of "high" you get from wading the flats, knee deep water, baitfish all around getting popped, and the mullet at the end of your line gets nervous. I guess it's like a "one-with-nature" type feeling. I dunno....maybe i'm crazy, but I don't think i'll ever get the same feeling on a boat. I fish the beach a lot too, but nothing beats a day on the flats, even if nothing's biting IMO.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    I like to wade, standing on a crowded pier..No Thanks
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Love fishing from shore but unlike Oh'Dirtycaster I love using live bait... don't get me wrong I have enough
    lures to make most people jaw drop.. and I even make and modified my own lures... but for some reason I love
    catching bait and fishing with it... I never buy bait.. well unless they have Jumbo shrimps and I'm to lazy to go
    get some...

But before anyone jumps in.. I use a live bait just like a lure... I have slowly gone back to walking the beach and
    throwing lures... its fun and you always see something new....

DuckmanJR> Combat fishing sucks!!! I don't get involved in that.. I also hate fishing anywhere people are at...
    but in saying that> I have some great times with crowds/group of people fishing from a pier... it all depends
    if the person next to you KNOWS what he is doing...and yes its rare to find..

90% of my fishing is always late at nite and off the beaten path at times.... Oh by the way the only reason I'm
    not out there everyday...I live in Orlando and the drive to the coast is too much of a pain at times.. but I do
    fish almost everyday from shore... I fish golf ponds/lakes and canals in my area.. even have a group of us who
    hit golf ponds almost every weekend... and I fish with Lures :hairraiser oh and also late at nite...

I love being out there.... talk about getting the crap scared out of you... try walking thru ponds at nite with
    gators and snakes... that will get your heart pounding...

and its never about catching.... its about the journey.. catching is great... but unless you put your time thru the
    journey.... You aint catching chit but a cold... :grin
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"