If you didn't have a boat...

duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,940 AG
I see people all the time walking out on the pier next to Sebastians boat ramp....and see people fishing around causeways etc.

If you owned a boat...but for some reason could not fish from your boat anymore.... would you still keep going fishing?
I love fishing...and go every day....but, I don't know if I could just go stand on a pier and fish.
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Yep. I fish from my boat, kayak and from the beach and jetty. A lot depends on how much time I have. Sometimes it's just an hour before work or sometime at lunch if I'm working near the water. Being able to fish from a boat is nice, but it's just a means to an end. Take away the boat and I'd still be fishing. Having said that, I don't sit on a beach and toss a bait in. I fish lures/jigs most of the time.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I got a boat .. a kayak .. an a puddle jumper (small ten foot jon
    You can go just about anywhere in ) love them but ... without them
    its know problem ethire !! Its still just as challenging !! Hell maybe more !!
    Sometimes ill fish from the bank just because its convenient ! (.dont have to tow
    boats around ) if I didnt have a boat id still fish without question !! it puts me
    In a great state of mind !!!

Btw.. in the tool box of my truck I keep a set up just in case I see something that looks
    interesting in my travels !! Its made me late more times than you can imagine !!:grin
  • miamimiami Posts: 55 Deckhand
    I have been in that position before and I would fish every chance I got. You have to be creative and always on the lookout for productive looking spots and fish them hard. I could go to Juno for snooks or the keys for snapper or mess around with some peacocks if I am too lazy for all that. With that being said,......nothing beats a boat
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Yes I would. Have a Bay boat & flats boat presently & fish standing whenever. Gives a whole different perspective to your methods, techniques etc. You do have to think differently. BTW haven't stood on a pier.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,856 Captain
    Fishing in a boat is great but fishing from land can work too. I fish the Jupiter Inlet from land when the water is to rough or I'm short on time. I think my favorite shore fishing is with a cane pole and some fiddlers.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I see people all the time walking out on the pier next to Sebastians boat ramp....and see people fishing around causeways etc.

If you owned a boat...but for some reason could not fish from your boat anymore.... would you still keep going fishing?
    I love fishing...and go every day....but, I don't know if I could just go stand on a pier and fish.

A sold my flats boat several years ago - once I had small children didn't use it enough to justify payment/insurance. Wish I had it now that they are 7 & 8 and can swim - but they cost a heck of a lot more than my old boat!

Anyway, I go wade fishing in MIWR (Titusville, FL) every chance I get - always scouting out new places to try - and have considered a kayak to extend my range. But I basically just follow the seasonal patterns for trout and redfish - have been slowly switching from live bait to artis - almost exclusively artis now. More bad days but bigger fish when I do catch them. Plus I just love the winter black and red drum bite at Haulover - can't use artis - but I've had schools of 40in plus fish swimming around me - and saw a school of black drum - all in the 15lb plus range - about the size of a football field. You couldn't cast a line without it getting tangled up with them. I'll always fish - it is what I'm about.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    gettinwet wrote: »
    A sold my flats boat several years ago - once I had small children didn't use it enough to justify payment/insurance. Wish I had it now that they are 7 & 8 and can swim - but they cost a heck of a lot more than my old boat!

Anyway, I go wade fishing in MIWR (Titusville, FL) every chance I get - always scouting out new places to try - and have considered a kayak to extend my range. But I basically just follow the seasonal patterns for trout and redfish - have been slowly switching from live bait to artis - almost exclusively artis now. More bad days but bigger fish when I do catch them. Plus I just love the winter black and red drum bite at Haulover - can't use artis - but I've had schools of 40in plus fish swimming around me - and saw a school of black drum - all in the 15lb plus range - about the size of a football field. You couldn't cast a line without it getting tangled up with them. I'll always fish - it is what I'm about.

But that said, I can't stand crowds - even when I had a boat and fished mostly in the Sebastian area - I preferred night fishing all the bridges and lighted docks south of Wabasso. That is one thing I miss - combat snook fishing from under docks/boats. Have never caught a snook in the Indian River Lagoon - but did see one swim by me at Haulover Canal several years back.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer

Sometimes the boat being in the shop is a good reminder of how good we've got it! I find I want to go more when the option isn't so readily available, resulting in some quality shore fishing. Pier fishing is a ton of fun.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    Sold the boat in June, hadn't used it in over a year. I fish well over 30hrs a week without one, and I do well enough to keep my reports to myself. From now until November, I consider a boat to be a disadvantage.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Sold the boat in June, hadn't used it in over a year. I fish well over 30hrs a week without one, and I do well enough to keep my reports to myself. From now until November, I consider a boat to be a disadvantage.

That's the spirit.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    I hate fishing from shore, I'm just not patient enough. You have to wait for the fish to come to you and I like to cover as much water as possible to maximize my chances. I'm not a "drown on a shrimp on the bottom" sort of guy at all. Plus shore fishing this area is not all the same ball game as it is from like Tampa south. There are tons of great places to wade down there. Beaches, passes, bridges, rivers, etc. Up here there's just not good opportunity to fish from shore, it's all mud banks or private property.
    It does get tiring dragging around a YETI.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I hate fishing from shore, I'm just not patient enough. You have to wait for the fish to come to you and I like to cover as much water as possible to maximize my chances. I'm not a "drown on a shrimp on the bottom" sort of guy at all. Plus shore fishing this area is not all the same ball game as it is from like Tampa south. There are tons of great places to wade down there. Beaches, passes, bridges, rivers, etc. Up here there's just not good opportunity to fish from shore, it's all mud banks or private property.

Why not head east instead of west?
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
    It does get tiring dragging around a YETI.

Yetis are very strong.....be smart and get on his shoulders.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
    I hate fishing from shore, I'm just not patient enough. You have to wait for the fish to come to you.

Horse****.
    Horse****.

Well, throw us a bone and post a report then. Oh wait, you're too good for that.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,940 AG
    . I fish well over 30hrs a week without one, and I do well enough to keep my reports to myself. From now until November, I consider a boat to be a disadvantage.

Do you worry people will follow you?...or that people will all of a sudden sell their boat and walk the beach?

The beach is no secret...and I have friends that you probably bump into if you fish south brevard into indian river county....they do real well... and yes, the mullet run is prime from the sand.

My question was really the people who just get some frozen shrimp and fish off piers etc... I just don't know how they can do that.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Well, throw us a bone and post a report then. Oh wait, you're too good for that.

I can understand...If you are working a certain spot ( there are some tried and true spots from the sand)...it is not like with a boat if people start showing up...it is not that easy to move.....and it gets crowded fast.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    You have to wait for the fish to come to you and I like to cover as much water as possible to maximize my chances. .

Plenty of "run & gun" from the sand.....

Even places like the inlet have "spots" that the savy guys will bounce around from place to place...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    My question was really the people who just get some frozen shrimp and fish off piers etc... I just don't know how they can do that.

In one word..."beer".....:grin
    On Wednesday, 1/25/2017...Florida Sportsman "Big Kahunna"......"Triple Threat 33T" gave his "official word"...and greasy thumb print...by saying....."Here's your written rules Schmidty, No Politics in OT. You're welcome."

...and with that history was made...:)
    I can understand...If you are working a certain spot ( there are some tried and true spots from the sand)...it is not like with a boat if people start showing up...it is not that easy to move.....and it gets crowded fast.

Yea I get it. Just busting his chops. Even though, this forum does revolve around quality reports. It should at least.
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Started out as Boatless Bank Trash.......Moved up to a Float Tube.....18 ft Tin Boat.....Now have the Flats Boat of my dreams. Two days without fishing and I go nuts......Sure do miss that Tin Boat, It was my stump jumper. Duckman has seen the Bass that hangs on my wall.
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I have always fished and will continue even if I didn't have a boat. I have a canoe, three kayaks, and a boat.

I posted a report a couple weeks ago, when I returned from Quebec. Drive til you find them, swim until you can reach them, that's about the best I can do for you. The fact is most people aren't willing to work for their fish, and I have no intention of helping those who won't help themselves. You can show a muppet how to catch fish, but he won't respect that fish until he's put in the time. I've never owned a sand spike, a cast net, or a beach cart.
    Do you worry people will follow you?...or that people will all of a sudden sell their boat and walk the beach?

The beach is no secret...and I have friends that you probably bump into if you fish south brevard into indian river county....they do real well... and yes, the mullet run is prime from the sand.

It's a combination of things Duck, naturally I enjoy my solo time, but I don't have any secret spots or secret techniques. I just work really hard for my fish. I don't have anything to sell, and I have no interest in promoting anything for anyone. I don't fish weekends or holidays, I have no family to speak of, no pets, and very few obligations. Makes it easy for me to put in alot more hours than the next guy, and makes my time on the water pretty much irrelevant to the weekend angler.
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    NO boat for me! I know life could be worse but living here with no boat is lame. I have been learning as fast as I can and hope to be settled in and looking for a water scooter soon. Kids, schools, houses, and not knowing jack has been a bit of a handicap...but life is settling. I am going to go beach hunt snook with my fly rod off Sanibel today. It's been fun learning though.

These are just people that want some grubbage and some what enjoy the water more than likely.......different breed than those that are "fisherpeeps".

It's kinda like the gym......you got your hardcore "MY GYM CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT ME" guys and then ya got some that go cause the doc told them it's a good idea.

I am boatless.I am fortunate enough that where i live i can fish just as if i had a boat some what......run an gun puts meat in the freezer.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,897 Admin
    If I didnt have a boat my next choice would be wading over dock fishing. I like to move and hunt for the fish versus stationary and waiting for the fish to come to me. Pier fishing on the inlet would be the exception since you have tide changes and that brings a larger variety of fish through the area.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey

• RollinRollin Posts: 1,543 Captain
    I had a Mako flats boat and that was stolen. It took awhile for the insurance to settle and the new Maverick to arrive. I had some time on my hands and wanted to fish. One of the things I did was go back to my roots, walking the banks of the Tamiami Trail. The fishing was awesome and I liked it a lot.
    When we got the Maverick I found we were fishing fresh as much as the salt. We were having a lot fun and I kept on bank hopping too.
    A few years later a kid whose name I can't remember started posting reports on here about Kayak fishing. It got me interested and I bought a couple of Tarpon 120's.

Eventually between the bank hopping and the Kayaks, the Maverick sat more and more. We eventually sold it and then sold the power boat at home here in Kansas.

Now we have four Kayaks and no power boats. I bank hop a lot and catch quite a few fish. I like the work out I get and really like the low maintenance of both styles of fishing.

As far as the Pier fisherman go, I'd have to say that part of it is financial and part cultural. I've done it some as a kid and you would see all kinds. Certainly Liti and his brothers took it to a a whole new level and you've got to admire that dedication. I also admire the results. For me personally I'm more about the chase. Boat, pier or bank I want to be moving.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,014 Officer
    I miss fishing the Gandy Bridge. It was an excellent place to fish. Handicapped accessible. Great for older people that cant be on the water (you can learn a trick or two from them, as well). Great place to teach kids how to fish. When I had back and knee surgeries and couldn't get on a boat I still brought home many a nice fish and got my son into it as well.
    My son caught his first tarpon there at age 7. We caught our 1st cobias and tripletails there. 1st king there. Awesome snapper fishing, drum, snook, trout, pompano. Huge jacks would cruise the shadowlines crashing baits. Easy to catch bait there.
    Weekdays and nights were fun and so easy to slip away for a few hours without spending much $.
    Having a boat is work and $. Sometimes it is fun to just throw the gear in the truck and go.
    If you know someone (or are lucky enough to have your own) who lives on the water with a dock, fishing from the dock with topwaters at night....that is what fishing is all about relaxing and just getting away from life.
    I find with a boat I sometimes put extra pressure on myself to get on fish (especially if I am targeting one species) with all the labor, time and $ spent just to get out (weekdays only).
    To me weekend fishing is almost analogous to pier fishing with frozen shrimp. Just too many people out there without a clue who want to fish, but have not really been experienced ( or schooled in the ways).

When I am too old, or just plain unable to fish from my or any boat I will fish from the shore. If I'm lucky, one day they'll find me passed away in my fishing chair with a big smile and a big fish still on the line :grin