Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Busy day on the egg

Well, it is football season, so what better way to get it started than a day on the egg.
First up are the peppers Tommy gave me yesterday. I was in Panama when I should have been
planting my garden, so I am thankful for these. They will smoke at low temp 100-150 for a few hours,
then go in the dehydrator. They will be used for rubs, chile and to spice lots of other foods.
Tommy will get his delivered to the location of his choosing.
IMG_0345_zpsb3b70fbc.jpg

After those come off, on go the chicken breasts, which are soaking in this stuff.
I perforated the breasts so it will soak in nicely.
IMG_0346_zps3865e04d.jpg

Just before the game starts, on will go the butts I have brining in molasses. They will cook all night and be ready by the time I get up on Sunday.
BostonButt001-1.jpg

Now bring on the football.
F the feds

Replies

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,382 Admiral
    Those peppers - yes!
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,044 Officer
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Butt went on the egg this morning around 930. Came off around 545-6. Great way to start off football Saturdays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Bodine, do you wrap the butts in foil at any point in the process? I wrap at 145 internal per Flash's instructions and bring up to 190 before wrapping in a towel and placing in the cooler.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,080 Captain
    wishfishin wrote: »
    Bodine, do you wrap the butts in foil at any point in the process? I wrap at 145 internal per Flash's instructions and bring up to 190 before wrapping in a towel and placing in the cooler.

NO, because I cook them while I sleep :)
    F the feds
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Is that the medium egg? The 8lb Boston butts that I cook normally take about 4-5 hours. That's with the bottom vent practically closed (about 1/8") open.

I seem to have issues with the fire going out if I close it any more. Any thoughts on that?

Guess what I'm saying is I have problems keeping the temp below 250.
    That is a large, and I start a very small fire to set it @200-225. Bottom vent 1/8 or so, pinwheel open.
    It was @ 200 when I went to bed and 200 when I got up, meat was @ 194.
    F the feds
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,989 AG

Pretty sure I never said wrap at 145º. That is way to early. Now the meat starts refusing interior smoke at that level, but I do not wrap until 160 to 180º now. The later you can wait, the more bark you will see. I did a test recently with a wrapped and unwrapped butt. Had to admit the unwrapped achieved more bark, but the juices trapped in the foil one made for a juicer pulled pork. I will still wrap, but will wait until the 180º if I can do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Bodine I am overloaded with peppers this year. Banana, Cubenelles, Marconi Reds and Chuschka's. Mainly towards the sweet side as we love to stuff them with rice, onions, more sweet peppers and smoked meats. Outstanding. We tend to cut them up and just freeze them for future use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Flash wrote: »
    Pretty sure I never said wrap at 145º. That is way to early. Now the meat starts refusing interior smoke at that level, but I do not wrap until 160 to 180º now. The later you can wait, the more bark you will see. I did a test recently with a wrapped and unwrapped butt. Had to admit the unwrapped achieved more bark, but the juices trapped in the foil one made for a juicer pulled pork. I will still wrap, but will wait until the 180º if I can do so.

I copied it from your post years ago (see below). Things change though and I'll hold off till 180 next try and see how I like it.

Flash:

Lather it in you favorite rub. The one I sent you is good for pork.
    Smoke it at 225-250 until the internal hits around 145. Fat Cap Up !!!!! Hard for me to do, especially during cooler months (go for 130 to 135, then wrap in Aluminum foil)
    Re-rub it and double wrap with foil, fat cap always up. I usually crank it up to
    250-275 once wrapped, but that is just me.
    Cook it until you hit 195 internal. Best to wrap in foil with at least 2 to 2 ½ hours to go. The temperature will rise quickly once in the foil. We pulled it at 180 degrees and was very tender.
    Pull it off the smoker and let it sit in a cooler for an hour.
    Pull it outta the cooler and let it sit out for 45 min or so to cool a bit. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes tops. Didn’t even do that last time.
    Reserve the juices in the foil.
    Pull all the meat by hand and with a fork.
    Pour the reserved juices back over the meat and if ya want sprinkle some
    more rub around.
    Some other things you can do are to score the outside before cooking 3/4 inch
    deep cross-hatched like a ham.
    This will produce more outside surface and more flavor of the rub. The meat
    will look black when cooked; this is all good.
    That black is called "Mrs. Brown" and is the flavoring for the pulled pork.
    Cook time should be around 1.5 hours per pound, but the temp is the
    tell-tail. I cook em in about 6.5 hours, but my smoker is very insulated.
    Give yourself 10 hours.
    Hickory and Mesquite (strong flavoring woods) are best. The smoke won't
    penetrate too much, so using a heavy flavor is all good.
    Make sure when you use the thermometer that you don't hit the bone. It will
    give you a false reading and the meat won't be done.
    I usually hit it from the top at a 45* angle.

Worked great. Took 9 hours and around 16 to 17lbs of charcoal to maintain heat and hit 195 degrees. We did almost a 5 lb butt. Used black pepper, Everglades Heat and Durkees Rib and Chicken Rub, St. Louis Style. Good reason to do more than one is the amount of Charcoal used.
    As stated higher above, I do not think 195 degrees is needed and that at least 180 degrees will give you very tender pork. Secret might be the wrapping of the meat in aluminum foil. Really brought the internal temps up quickly.
    Try covering meat with yellow mustard then rub the night before to marinate. Then go thru cooking process.
    Added some Chipotle Tabasco sauce, orange juice, brown sugar with lemon juice and mustard for marinate.
    I have finally found a lump charcoal I adore. Kamado Joe, very hard, huge lumps, not much small stuff at all. Burns clean, and for a long time. It is available at the Killearn Ace Hardware for those in Tally.

I am convinced the quality of your charcoal helps maintain a constant temp.
    F the feds
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,424 Admiral
    ****, you guys sure know how to make a fat man on a diet hungry! I try to avoid reading food threads for that reason but I just had to peek. That's some fine cooking.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,424 Admiral
    Hey, Ace Hardware carries the charcoal everyone uses for "pig roasts" up here! Folks order it months in advance. Everyone says it is the best. Don't know the name but it comes in large brown bags.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    jbdba01 wrote: »
    Is that the medium egg? The 8lb Boston butts that I cook normally take about 4-5 hours. That's with the bottom vent practically closed (about 1/8") open.

I seem to have issues with the fire going out if I close it any more. Any thoughts on that?

Guess what I'm saying is I have problems keeping the temp below 250.

Here is some helpful info

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/500-starting-a-fire-for-low-and-slow-definitive/

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/13666-fire-starting-for-dummies/

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/2650-pitmaster-iq110-ring-of-fire-method-for-low-and-slow/

I copied it from your post years ago (see below). Things change though and I'll hold off till 180 next try and see how I like it.

Flash:

Lather it in you favorite rub. The one I sent you is good for pork.
    Smoke it at 225-250 until the internal hits around 145. Fat Cap Up !!!!! Hard for me to do, especially during cooler months (go for 130 to 135, then wrap in Aluminum foil)
    Re-rub it and double wrap with foil, fat cap always up. I usually crank it up to
    250-275 once wrapped, but that is just me.
    Cook it until you hit 195 internal. Best to wrap in foil with at least 2 to 2 ½ hours to go. The temperature will rise quickly once in the foil. We pulled it at 180 degrees and was very tender.
    Pull it off the smoker and let it sit in a cooler for an hour.
    Pull it outta the cooler and let it sit out for 45 min or so to cool a bit. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes tops. Didn’t even do that last time.
    Reserve the juices in the foil.
    Pull all the meat by hand and with a fork.
    Pour the reserved juices back over the meat and if ya want sprinkle some
    more rub around.
    Some other things you can do are to score the outside before cooking 3/4 inch
    deep cross-hatched like a ham.
    This will produce more outside surface and more flavor of the rub. The meat
    will look black when cooked; this is all good.
    That black is called "Mrs. Brown" and is the flavoring for the pulled pork.
    Cook time should be around 1.5 hours per pound, but the temp is the
    tell-tail. I cook em in about 6.5 hours, but my smoker is very insulated.
    Give yourself 10 hours.
    Hickory and Mesquite (strong flavoring woods) are best. The smoke won't
    penetrate too much, so using a heavy flavor is all good.
    Make sure when you use the thermometer that you don't hit the bone. It will
    give you a false reading and the meat won't be done.
    I usually hit it from the top at a 45* angle.

Worked great. Took 9 hours and around 16 to 17lbs of charcoal to maintain heat and hit 195 degrees. We did almost a 5 lb butt. Used black pepper, Everglades Heat and Durkees Rib and Chicken Rub, St. Louis Style. Good reason to do more than one is the amount of Charcoal used.
    As stated higher above, I do not think 195 degrees is needed and that at least 180 degrees will give you very tender pork. Secret might be the wrapping of the meat in aluminum foil. Really brought the internal temps up quickly.
    Try covering meat with yellow mustard then rub the night before to marinate. Then go thru cooking process.
    Added some Chipotle Tabasco sauce, orange juice, brown sugar with lemon juice and mustard for marinate.

Proof is in the text. Actually that was from my mentor. Definitely the longer you can wait, the better. I also suppose if you could place a tray underneath the butt, some of the juices could end up in the pan. Just not sure it would dry up before you could pour it back over the butt? I actually remove a good 70% of the fat cap now too. More access for the rub, thus more bark. No point of having bark on Fat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ferris1248 wrote: »
    I've trimmed the fat before (after reading you) and I think it works well if you're wrapping. I leave the fat cap on if I'm going the full route without wrapping. I'm afraid it would dry out otherwise.

Maybe the case Ferris, in my test I trimmed the fat cap from both of them. If I do leave a fat cap on, I place it fat cap down though. Better bark that way and some insulation from the heat source below.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I trim mine, but I brine them as well. I like MO BARK. :)
    F the feds
    Try this next time you do some butts, do at least 2, one with one without and see if there is a difference.
    Combine 2 qts water, 12 0z kosher salt, and 8 oz molasses, warm to dissolve and let cool.
    Place in a 2 gal zip lock with a butt, let sit for 24 hrs in the fridge.
    Then put on your dry rub and cook as usual.
    F the feds
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    I've trimmed the fat before (after reading you) and I think it works well if you're wrapping. I leave the fat cap on if I'm going the full route without wrapping. I'm afraid it would dry out otherwise.

I don't foil until it hits 190 and I let it rest in a cooler. I've never had an issue with it being dry.
    Since I have salt issues, I do not brine anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• GrouperGuruGrouperGuru Posts: 264 Deckhand
    Did the same on my kamado Joe yesterday. I love the ceramic cooker for smoking. But since when are Boston butts $3.00+ per pound. That's the best price I could find. Used to get them for less than half that.
    After reading I've got more experimenting to do. Wrapping at 145 has worked in keeping the butt moist and everyone just raves over it. I'll wait longer next time and trim for more bark 'cause I really dig it.
    After reading I've got more experimenting to do. Wrapping at 145 has worked in keeping the butt moist and everyone just raves over it. I'll wait longer next time and trim for more bark 'cause I really dig it.

Well you see the juice in one of the photos I posted above. That was wrapped at 170º. There is usually more than enough fat in Pork Butts to keep them moist. There was no real issue with one I did not wrap, it was moist, just not as much as the wrapped one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]