Home General Fishing

MirrOlures Quality update

2»

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    I don't understand how anyone is keeping any lures for multiple seasons without all the metal rusting. I rinse with fresh water immediately after use and let it dry before it goes back in the box but I'm lucky to get more than a couple outings before there is substantial rust on the hooks, rings, etc. Is there a trick I dont know?
    Try soap. I soak everything after I use it once a week. Dont have any rust except hooks after a while
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,248 AG
    Also, changing the hooks costs so much, I have never really considered changing them regularly to be a viable option.

????

A box of 25 Mustad 4X trebles is less than 5 dollars....it changes the hooks on 8 -12 plugs.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,248 AG
    Typically once the hooks rust there is residue on the plastic so it doesn't look nice anymore. .

You can try CLR ...or rub it with some rubbing compound....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Outdoorsman1Outdoorsman1 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    thanks for the pointers
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 1,031 Officer
    I do a lot of trolling for groupers with the 111's. The things are tough to beat. Not the prettiest plug on the market but they work. That being said, sometimes I have cuda's bite them and invariably, the plug will fill with water. A trick I use is to shake the water out and take womans clear nail polish and fill in the hole. Works like a champ and doesn't alter the action of the plug. Now, you'll have to explain to your buddies why you have womans nail polish in your tackle box but that's your problem. lol PS ORANGE works the best for the grouper.

Hammer