Best 1000 size spinning reel?

2»

Replies

• Tuna_Slayer125Tuna_Slayer125 Posts: 63 Deckhand
    I've got a ci4+ 1000 and I love it, got fish on it from Micro Tarpon to a 38 inch snook off the beach, I highly recommend it, a great reel that holds up very well.
    1364926607_catching_bass_with_hand.gif?resize=270%2C150
    Good Luck out There!
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    minowjoe wrote: »
    have u looked at the quantum iron 25:shrug

i have not, have you used one? i want to hear what people think of little reels that they have used. pros, cons.

at this point, im returning my FJ and ordering a ci4+ tuesday. unless someone can sway me another way.
    might even order 6# braid instead of the 8# ive been using. tested the 8 twice, broke at 15# both times.
    I've got a ci4+ 1000 and I love it, got fish on it from Micro Tarpon to a 38 inch snook off the beach, I highly recommend it, a great reel that holds up very well.

nice. how do you have it set up? line, rod?
  • snippersnipper Posts: 524 Officer
    what happens when you hook into a big snook? do you just try and drown it with a 1000 sized reel?
    Florida Stupid
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,162 Admiral
    *small reels, as long as it's not a shimao or a battle I'll be good!
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,537 Captain
    IMO there is nothing out there <$200 that compares to the new Daiwa Ballistic EX Spinning Reel BLS-EX2000H
    I just got a 4000 & I think I'm going to use it next Spring for Cobia... These reels are bad-****... much nicer & better built than the Stradic Ci-4...
    Is it a new model ?
    Because I own the first model (4000) and although it is a honest reel the Stradic Ci4 is definitely better.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Choose common sense, boycott political correctness.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    i have not, have you used one? i want to hear what people think of little reels that they have used. pros, cons.

at this point, im returning my FJ and ordering a ci4+ tuesday. unless someone can sway me another way.
    might even order 6# braid instead of the 8# ive been using. tested the 8 twice, broke at 15# both times.

The only thing I'd say worries me about the Ci4+ 1000 is the weight. It's SOO light that it could be really difficult to balance well on a rod.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Ballak wrote: »
    Is it a new model ?
    Because I own the first model (4000) and although it is a honest reel the Stradic Ci4 is definitely better.

Yes- The EX is new & has some improvements including the new Mag-Seal (Magnetic Oil) technology from the Saltigas...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    The only thing I'd say worries me about the Ci4+ 1000 is the weight. It's SOO light that it could be really difficult to balance well on a rod.

yes, it does worry me, its about 1 oz lighter than the fj, maybe a bit more, so im not toooooo worried, not too big of a difference. the little falcon rod i have is a pretty nice stick. light.

the little 1000 makes big snook fun. in space. biggest ive gotten on the fj was like 33 inches? 33.5? and a few 28-30 inchers. think i got close to 30 snook in the 3 trips i took with that reel. already got a nickname, wish the spring was better. GREAT fun, i sit and watch the videos all the time. def nice to have braid to really put some muscle into getting the fish in if the fight is too long. without having to worry much about snapping the line.
    but if im fishing where i might be worried about cover, i have a 4000 for that.

though.........i was thinking about getting another 1000 and putting it on a MH rod. just to make a mangrove fight even that much more fun. it all comes down to the rod anyway right?? 1000 doesnt retrieve all THAT slow, and 7lbs of drag should be enough. i got a brain.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,537 Captain
    Yes- The EX is new & has some improvements including the new Mag-Seal (Magnetic Oil) technology from the Saltigas...
    Interesting, thanks.
    Probably not yet available here but as possible I would to handle it.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Choose common sense, boycott political correctness.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer
    if im fishing where i might be worried about cover, i have a 4000 for that.

though.........i was thinking about getting another 1000 and putting it on a MH rod. just to make a mangrove fight even that much more fun. it all comes down to the rod anyway right?? 1000 doesnt retrieve all THAT slow, and 7lbs of drag should be enough. i got a brain.

We've got thumbs, it'll be fine.
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    I'm a big fan of the FI series Stradics but the 1000 size just doesn't seem to cast very far. My recommendation would be the Daiwa SS700, great drag and lays braid perfectly. I always add several split shot w/ epoxy in the bail spring chamber which seems to balance out the rotor.
    I'm a big fan of the FI series Stradics but the 1000 size just doesn't seem to cast very far. My recommendation would be the Daiwa SS700, great drag and lays braid perfectly. I always add several split shot w/ epoxy in the bail spring chamber which seems to balance out the rotor.

interesting.
    i hear nothing but good of the SS. best drag, bullet proof, line lay. ill have to see if we can get them to put one in my hand.

the few trips i took with the little FJ, 7-12mph wind, light 8# braid would sail a bow in the wind like crazy, but i was still tossing little 1/4oz doa a really good way. further than i could cast anything else other than my top water. which really kind of amazed me. with little effort.
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    The SS700 has a longer, shallower spool than the Stradic and lays down line like no other reel I have owned in the past. If you do go with the SS, re-grease the drag washers with either Shimano Cosmo or Cal's drag grease.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    SullyKeys wrote: »
    Have one of my own (Penn Battle 1000) it is very good and smooth. Totally reccomend!!
    ^used to have a 2000 battle, really liked that thing, sold it to get something, cant remember what, but i think at the time i had caught more reds on that little reel than anything else. ive been smoking shimano crack though so thats where ill probably head for a reel. maybe a penn for a bigger reel.

either way, close this thread, im getting a ci4+

I have a little Battle1000 that I use for bass fishing and LOVE it. Spooled with 6lb braid and I throw whacky rigged worms and zoom frogs with it. It's a blast! Even a little 14-15 inch bass is a good time. Believe it or not, the rod it comes with ain't half bad either, however I took the rod and put an old Penn SS4400 on it for snapper/inshore artificals. I put the BTL1000 on an olderVERY light ugly stick. It's like a **** fairy wand :grin

I've also caught a few catfish/ladyfish/jacks with it fishing from the dock and it's a blast. Rod bending, drag screaming action on a 1000 series reel!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Tuna_Slayer125Tuna_Slayer125 Posts: 63 Deckhand
    nice. how do you have it set up? line, rod?
    I have it on a Gloomis Imx 6-10 Pound rod with PowerPro SuperSlick 10 pound in Aqua Green, Great rod for light inshore fish.
    1364926607_catching_bass_with_hand.gif?resize=270%2C150
    Good Luck out There!
    dang 10# braid? i thought about putting on some 10 because i love the super slick, but its just too much in my head.
    i look at it as, reel has 7# of drag, stated, and 10# braid breaks at like 18#. plus you can only put maybe 100 yards on there right? i guess thats good enough, but i dont feel comfortable unless i have 160+ yards of line on a reel, for whatever reason, dont know why.

that 6-10 loomis sounds like a nice match though.
    Just got my new ci4+ 1000 today, really nice little reel, I need to go catch some fish on it now.
    We got some of the new ballistics in today. I must say that I am very impressed with it. If they had a 1000 size I would have gotten that instead of the ci4, no question. They fixed the handle and it seems legit. Really nice looking/feeling reel.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,738 AG
    , reel has 7# of drag, stated, and 10# braid breaks at like 18#. plus you can only put maybe 100 yards on there right? i guess thats good enough, but i dont feel comfortable unless i have 160+ yards of line on a reel, for whatever reason, dont know why.

I do.... and if you stay in the fishing game long enough...so will you.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • brandonlehrerbrandonlehrer Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Ci4+ I have a 1000 and I love it definitely the best 1000
  • mackerelslayermackerelslayer Posts: 66 Deckhand
    i fish a pflueger 6925L (the L designates it as pink) which is the size of a 500 maybe a 1000 size reel, it holds about 110 yrds of 4lb test, and puts out 10lbs of drag. ive had it for about a year now and its still as smooth as the day i got it, and ive caught a ton of fish on it. biggest snook so far on it was 34 inches, for the price it can't be beat. i currently have it spooled with 6lb braid and i have it on a basspro tourney special 4-12lb rod.