Crystal River Grouper Digging 8/28

Went out with a buddy of mine today to do a little grouper fishing while he was in town. We left twin rivers after picking up some live pins and a box of spanish sardines. We left the dock and headed out knowing full well what could be waiting for us out there. We stopped at a shallower spot and saw that the water was clean so we stayed there. First drops down and all we were hooking up with was lady fish, grunts, and some small grouper. Moved over another 75 yards and found what we were looking for. For several hours, as soon as the bait hit the bottom it was getting eaten. Sometimes it would get hit about 4' from the bottom and you'd have to slam the reel down and go. At 9:30 we had our limit for the 2 of us. We still had a bunch of bait left so we just said the bite was hot, let's keep going. So we kept on fishing. We lost about 6-7 fish that broke the leader but not on structure. Had to have been some reallllly nice fish. We lost count of how many fish we caught throughout the day, but we left the spot at about 11:15 after we ran out of bait. The grouper stopped biting after the tide went slack so we wasted the last couple of cigar minnows on grunts and a couple small fish. The red tide hasn't come as far in as most of you may think. I don't know where we were in relation to it, but we didn't see ANY floating fish, no smell, nothing. Fish shallower than you think, it's pushed all the fish in. We only caught 2 keeper gags today, the rest were reds. Biggest fish was a 27" red at 11.5 pounds. They're out there, and verrrrry hungry. Good luck guys! Hopefully this red tide clears up and everyone can get back to normal. Going back out to do it again tomorrow!
image9.jpeg
image10.jpeg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing

Replies

• keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    :thumbsup
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 414 Deckhand
    Nice! Glad someone found them.
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Good to hear. Nice report
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    I kinda think that this post and one other posted yesterday clears up one thing: The fish are out there and apparently have congregated in "safe" spaces'. Great news. Thanks for the great report Adam :beer
  • bonebone Posts: 1,077 Officer
    How deep you catch them. Seems there is a sweet spot between redtide and shore.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,860 Captain
    Nice report! There are survivors and you found them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Nice report! There are survivors and you found them.

Yes he did! The fact most probably is (and I am no ocean biologist or anything like that) there are more survivors then we think. They'll be back in their old haunts in no time. Hopefully so the rest of us can catch some! :fishing
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,487 Admiral
    Fantastic news!!

Great catch.

Of course reds close this weekend :banghead
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,326 Captain
    The red grouper closure starts Sept. 16.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,487 Admiral

Really?

Happy to be wrong. It is so hard to keep up with these convoluted regs.
    They should extend the gag season by a month. August has been the worst fishing month I remember in a decade
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,326 Captain
    There's no way that's going to happen after this fish kill. We'll be lucky if they don't shut gags down early.
    yeah I forgot they only know how to close things down, not open them up, unless you have alot of money to lobby with, and in that case, catch all you want when you want (17 headboats with exemption)
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    Nicely done guys....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 627 Officer

Source?
    Source?

The source is the FWC website...I checked as well! :cool:
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    tankard wrote: »
    Fantastic news!!

Great catch.

Of course reds close this weekend :banghead
    Reading comp for dummies... lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    What the hell!... why don't they update their **** gulf grouper page with that info! http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/groupers/gulf-grouper/
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    What the hell!... why don't they update their **** gulf grouper page with that info! http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/groupers/gulf-grouper/
    Umm, maybe because it's a federally managed fish....

Bet their site is updated.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Ah I see... well... the red tide has pushed the red grouper so far in, we were catching them inside of state waters today, then.