Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trout in FL Bay?

Hey Guys,

The wifey and I are going down to Islamorada for the holiday weekend. Looks like it's gonna be a little bumpier than we like offshore, so we'll likely target trout around Sprigger. It's something we only do a couple of times a year, so I thought I'd check in with our inshore guys. Anyone got any useful intel for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Catch 'em up!

Nick

Replies

• Catch-N-RunCatch-N-Run Posts: 178 Officer
    Live Shrimp! Look for semi clear/murky water. fish the grass beds for trout. I use artificial and i stay in 3-5 ft of water. Hope this helps. I am not a pro but this is how i catch the trout. Goodluck
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Thanks Catch!

I'm certainly no pro either. Only do this a couple times a year and only started last year. We've actually had better luck catching more trout and fewer catfish using Gulp shrimp under a Cajun Thunder. I think more is because the cats aren't beating the trout to the bait since it's up off the bottom.

Getting ready to pull away now for Islamorada. Can't wait! Here's how we did last Labor Day weekend...

I will be checking back in on this thread down there, so if anyone has any real time intel for the Sprigger Bank area, please share. Thanks! Nick
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • Catch-N-RunCatch-N-Run Posts: 178 Officer
    Nice, How did you trip go? Update?
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Hey Guys, sorry for the late response...

Well, this was my 3rd trip to Islamorada this year. The first 2 trips resulted in absolute failures due to boat issues on day 1. This time, the boat had no issues. But the winds were honking 15-25mph all weekend. We tried to sneak offshore Friday afternoon after we got in. Made it to about 60ft and decided to head back in. Too snotty for the boat but not for drinkie drinks at the pool. Next morning, we ran about 20miles to Sprigger bank. We were fishing a falling tide and the winds were brutal. It was a rough and wet ride. Didn't get a single trout but the mangroves were thick. We didn't start keep them until I guy hooked the first one. When he went into the box, we decided to keep enough for our neighbor who loves snapper. Then, back to the pool. On Sunday, we decided to save the beating and gas and went straight to the pool.

I hate to whine to my non-fishing friends about these three failed trips to the Keys. Yes, we still had fun but we didn't get to do what we went there to do. I try to describe the feeling as if you went to Bush Gardens, got to eat all the food and see all the sights but you couldn't ride a single ride. Now, go to Bush Gardens 3 times and not ride anything. Sure, you'd have fun. But you'd also be disappointed. Anyway...
    Catch 'em up!

Nick