Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

8/16 big almaco jigged off a PE wreck

Hey Guys,

Late post- The wife and I went out last weekend to do a little wreck fishing and deep dropping. Caught several almacos, all too small except this one that was over 37" and +25lbs. Sent her back to make us some more little almies. Got nothing at our blueline tile spots. Nice day on the water.
Catch 'em up!

Nick

Replies

  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    The blueline tiles have disappeared from all of our spots too.
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Thanks for sharing, TB! I was wondering... So, are they seasonal? I've only stated DD'ing so I don't have much history.
    Catch 'em up!

    Nick
  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    nbseafrog wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, TB! I was wondering... So, are they seasonal? I've only stated DD'ing so I don't have much history.

    I've only been deep dropping for a little less than 2 years. They come and go at times, but for the past 2 months, they have been pretty much non existent in most of our spots. I've heard the same from some of the drift boat Captains. They did this last year too, just for not so long. They came back around in October ish last year.
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Sweet! Good info, for sure. Oct is a great month for fishing in S FL. Unfortunately, my schedule is also the busiest in Oct with boat shows in Annapolis (2) and FTL. I'm about to head down to the keys for the holiday weekend. NOAA isn't looking too good but we may get out there one day and try a little jigging & DD'ing. I'll let ya'll know what I find next week.
    Catch 'em up!

    Nick
  • rhino2000rhino2000 Posts: 184 Officer
    Nice catch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.
  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    nbseafrog wrote: »
    Sweet! Good info, for sure. Oct is a great month for fishing in S FL. Unfortunately, my schedule is also the busiest in Oct with boat shows in Annapolis (2) and FTL. I'm about to head down to the keys for the holiday weekend. NOAA isn't looking too good but we may get out there one day and try a little jigging & DD'ing. I'll let ya'll know what I find next week.

    Nice! Good luck. I'm headed to Key West this afternoon, but not planning on doing too much fishing this weekend.
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Hope your weekend was better than ours, TB. We tried to sneak offshore on Friday but decided to abort before we even hit 60ft. Tried to target trout in the bay on Sat. The winds were even stronger at 20+ and made fishing an ugly chore. We managed some mangroves but found no trout. Didn't even try on Sunday and drove home today. At least the weather was good otherwise. We brought our bar with us and stayed refreshed at the pool. So, it wasn't a complete loss.
    Catch 'em up!

    Nick
  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    nbseafrog wrote: »
    Hope your weekend was better than ours, TB. We tried to sneak offshore on Friday but decided to abort before we even hit 60ft. Tried to target trout in the bay on Sat. The winds were even stronger at 20+ and made fishing an ugly chore. We managed some mangroves but found no trout. Didn't even try on Sunday and drove home today. At least the weather was good otherwise. We brought our bar with us and stayed refreshed at the pool. So, it wasn't a complete loss.

    We went down to Key West and didn't really have any intentions on fishing. Hung out by the pool and on Duval Street for most of the weekend. Went out snorkeling on Sunday afternoon, but between the wind blowing and the rain, visibility wasn't that great. The traffic getting out of there yesterday was horrible too. Took me just under 7 hours of driving to get from KW to Ft Lauderdale. :driver:
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    7hrs? [email protected]! The drive from Islamorada wasn't bad at all. Left at 11:15 and pulled into the driveway in Pembroke Pines at 1:40.
    Catch 'em up!

    Nick
  • jasonmg954jasonmg954 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Nice catch.
    Where's the butter knife jig. Lol
  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    nbseafrog wrote: »
    7hrs? [email protected]! The drive from Islamorada wasn't bad at all. Left at 11:15 and pulled into the driveway in Pembroke Pines at 1:40.

    Yuuup. Left KW at 1 which was too late and I knew it. Got stuck in bumper to bumper from Little Duck Key all the way to Plantation Key. At one point it took us an hour to go almost 4 miles. Finally got to Fort Lauderdale right before 8pm. Only stopped once for gas too.
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    that's ridiculous TB!

    Jason, the currents were a little strong for the butter knife jigs, so I had to throw those fancy heavier Williamson's at them. I know...
    Catch 'em up!

    Nick
Sign In or Register to comment.