Potential Anchoring Regulations - This Is Beyond Ridiculous

MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
To my mind "State Owned" means owned by the people of this state - not some unknown entity or a subset who happen to own a house or condo on the water.

Another thing, these mooring fields are getting out of hand. The ones in St Augustine are blatantly discriminating against the cruiser by forcing them to anchor well away from the town or forcing them to pay a tax via paying for a mooring ball.

=================================================================

Hearings Set To Discuss Re-regulating Anchoring on Florida’s Waterways

From PassageMaker

Story by Peter Swanson on August 25th, 2014

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (Commission) is seeking public input on the topic of potential legislation authorizing local governments limited authority to regulate the anchoring of vessels on state waters within their jurisdiction. The following concepts, which are based on experiences in the anchoring/mooring pilot program, will be discussed at two upcoming public meetings in early September and attendees will be asked to provide public comment on each provision. After those meetings, the comments received will be used to refine the concepts before soliciting additional public comment through an online commenting opportunity.

Anchoring Public Workshops

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), Division of Law Enforcement announces two public workshops to which all interested parties are invited.
DATE AND TIME: September 3, 2014, 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
PLACE: Indian River County Administration Complex, 1801 27th Street, Building A, Vero Beach, FL 32960,
(772) 567-8000
DATE AND TIME: September 4, 2014, 5:30p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
PLACE: Manatee County Commission Chambers, 1112 Manatee Avenue West, Bradenton, FL 34205, (941) 748-4501

GENERAL SUBJECT MATTER TO BE CONSIDERED: The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission will be holding two public workshops presenting a framework for possible legislation granting limited authority to counties and municipalities to regulate anchoring on state waters in certain circumstances. Those in attendance will have the opportunity to provide feedback on the proposed frame work in verbal or written form immediately following the presentation. Pursuant to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act, any person requiring special accommodations to participate in this meeting is asked to advise the respective location at least five (5) calendar days before the meeting by contacting: ADA Coordinator, see numbers listed above. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact the agency by calling the numbers listed above.

Proposed concepts for consideration and comment:

Local governments could be granted authority to regulate the anchoring of vessels in limited, prescribed situations. Please consider each of the following provisions:

• The owner, operator or person in charge of a vessel may not anchor a vessel within 150 feet of mooring fields, boat ramps, marinas and other launching or landing facilities that are open for use by the general public.

• A vessel may not be anchored overnight within 300 feet of waterfront residential property or in a location that restricts use of attached docks or boat lifts.

For this provision, the following definitions would apply:

“Overnight” means more than 4 consecutive hours during the period from one half hour past sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

“Waterfront residential property” means any upland property bounded on at least one side by waters of the state, above the water’s edge at the shoreline or seawall, upon which a single-family home, multi-family apartment, townhouse, condominium or other similar residential dwelling exists. This term excludes docks and other infrastructure attached thereto.

• A vessel may not be stored on waters of the state if any of the following conditions exist: o it is incapable of navigating under its own power

• takes on water without the ability to dewater

• spaces designed to be enclosed are open to the elements

• leaking contaminants

• has broken loose or is in danger of doing so

• violates sanitation laws

• listing or aground

For this provision, the following definition would apply:

“Stored” means not under the direct supervision and control of a person capable of operating the vessel and promptly moving it from a location.

If a local government has a need to regulate anchoring in any way other than those described above, the local government would be required to apply for Commission approval and provide:

• A copy of the proposed ordinance

• Maps illustrating the areas proposed to be regulated

• Substantial competent evidence demonstrating specific local problems that the regulation intends to resolve

• Substantial competent evidence of how the regulation addresses specific navigation hazards, the accumulation of anchored vessels in inappropriate locations and/or the health, safety and welfare of the public while minimizing impacts to access to state waters, fishing and other water-related recreational activities

Proposed exemptions to local government anchoring restrictions include:

• Vessels requiring safe harbor or involved in an emergency situation

• Law enforcement, fire-fighting or rescue vessels owned or operated by a government entity

• Vessels manned continuously while anchored for four hours or less for recreational activities such as fishing and swimming

• Vessels involved in construction activities or dredging

For this provision, the following definition would apply:

“Safe Harbor” means taking refuge by temporarily anchoring due to a mechanical breakdown or when imminent or existing extreme weather conditions impose an unreasonable risk of harm, in which case a vessel may remain anchored until repaired, which shall occur within 7 days, or in the event of extreme weather, until weather conditions improve to the point it is no longer perilous to operate the vessel.

If local governments are granted authority to regulate vessel anchoring, all anchoring restrictions adopted in accordance with that authority would be made available to the public through an interactive, online map managed by the Commission.

The Commission would be granted rulemaking authority to establish standards to implement these provisions.

One comment on “Hearings Set To Discuss Re-regulating Anchoring on Florida’s Waterways”
Paul D. SchlechterAugust 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm
The following item would essentially eliminate the ability to anchor in most residential areas at least in Pinellas County where I reside.
“A vessel may not be anchored overnight within 300 feet of waterfront residential property or in a location that restricts use of attached docks or boat lifts.”

As many canals that offer safe overnight anchoring are less than 300 feet wide, it becomes next to impossible to use these areas for safe, protected overnight use by vessels in transit or even local vessels. This part of the regulations opens a pandoras box of abuse by local authorities.
Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.

Replies

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,938 Admiral
    White people problems. :grin
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    Dang it I wish we had a boating forum. Now with that said, you really have an issue with the two highlighted phrases? Please explain.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • Spear'em!Spear'em! Posts: 177 Officer
    Things will only get worse. A few bad apples ruin everything for the rest of those that travel the waterways along the east coast.

Water - Lets say you and your partner worked you're whole life and bought a nice sailboat or cruiser and plan to spend the 10 to 15 years traveling from the NE thru the islands and back. So now its possible you will have no safe anchorage in the state of Florida. Staying a marina is very expensive. If you stayed in a marina the whole trip you'll probably run out of money in 5 years.

Yes you may get lucky and be able to bypass FL in one shot but what if the weather gets bad? What if you want to stop and see old friends for week. The bill for staying in a marina can be out this world with the budget at hand.

Guess they can come ticket you and do what ever they fell like as you have broken a very important law by staying a day or two in the wrong areas..

This is just the man trying to control everything you do.
  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 647 Officer
    It's a good thing, I lived in a town that the area around a public boat ramp was clogged with derelict sail boats that made it dangerous to access the ramp. The city couldn't do anything about it because according to them there are no laws stating you can't just dump your floating pile of junk right at the mouth of the boat ramp.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    O.SEA.D wrote: »
    It's a good thing, I lived in a town that the area around a public boat ramp was clogged with derelict sail boats that made it dangerous to access the ramp. The city couldn't do anything about it because according to them there are no laws stating you can't just dump your floating pile of junk right at the mouth of the boat ramp.

Then they should regulate derelict boats the same way they would if you dumped a wreck on the side of the road - this is an overreach.
    hey you've got to take the good with the bad and this part here covers derelict boats. This section would have taken care of 90% of the sail boats that were anchored outside the ramp.

• A vessel may not be stored on waters of the state if any of the following conditions exist: o it is incapable of navigating under its own power

• leaking contaminants

• listing or aground
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
    O.SEA.D wrote: »
    hey you've got to take the good with the bad and this part here covers derelict boats. This section would have taken care of 90% of the sail boats that were anchored outside the ramp.

• leaking contaminants

• listing or aground

Well, unless I am seriously mistaken, apart from perhaps the first and third ones (which could be added) those laws are already in place and enforced by the USCG?
    unless I'm mistaken the city worked for years with FWC, USCG and couldn't get the problem cleaned up and they said if they could enforce the laws they would but it was out of their jurisdiction. Giving the locals the power to address these issues will be a huge help to our strapped FWC and USCG resources as they shouldn't be concerned with derelict sail boats... let the locals officials deal with it as they best know what issues are present in their community.

either way I appreciate you bring this topic up so I can send my letter to the FWC commissioners supporting these new regs.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • TowersTowers Posts: 681 Officer
    Yeah GA fin you know White Peoples, those who have money. Not the little row boat with holes in it like yours.. I forgot your boat travels on top of your pick-up
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,938 Admiral
    Towers wrote: »
    Yeah GA fin you know White Peoples, those who have money. Not the little row boat with holes in it like yours.. I forgot your boat travels on top of your pick-up

:rotflmaoCan I borrow $5,000 as a down payment on a white people boat rich boy? I hear you are so wealthy that you just leave thousands of dollars in CASH laying around.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    GA Fin wrote: »
    :rotflmaoCan I borrow $5,000 as a down payment on a white people boat rich boy? I hear you are so wealthy that you just leave thousands of dollars in CASH laying around.

Boom!
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    This is going well :Popcorn
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    There should be some regulation to where and for how long someone can anchor their boat in a residential or commercial area. There are several in the Madeira Beach area that look derelict but are somebody's live aboard. The do not move, ever. Where does their waste go? Yep... :stinkfish

I sold a $650,000 lot and new construction house package, and shortly after breaking ground some POS sailboat anchors up 30' off the seawall. From the city to the Sheriff we got the same answer. "Nothing we can do". We got a good blow one night and they drug anchor and ended up against the seawall. The boat had no propulsion and the owner set up base camp in the back yard. This was the only reason Sheriff finally got involved and eventually got them to move, but only after 30 days of this boat pounding against a new seawall and them dumping all kinds of garbage in the back yard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,790 Admin
    We have lot of them around here. It's one thing if they are occupied and in good working order. Some of these around here have been here as long as I can remember.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,874 AG
    GA Fin wrote: »

:rotflmao..........................:Popcorn Awaiting reply
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,874 AG
    “Safe Harbor” means taking refuge by temporarily anchoring due to a mechanical breakdown or when imminent or existing extreme weather conditions impose an unreasonable risk of harm, in which case a vessel may remain anchored until repaired, which shall occur within 7 days,

Yes, I'm broke down...will be moving about 300 yards that way...till I break down over there...and then will move back over here with another break down...

another law that will be easy to abuse.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,965 Admiral
    Bunch of them here in Kings Bay, some are homes to drunks and addicts, one is listed as a home to a child molester.
    The rest are owned by Ocalans and Queervillians who are too cheap or destitute to pay for a marina and allow their POS Hunter sailers to drift about the bay and crush endangered manatees under their barnacle encrusted hulls.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,310 Captain
    Local Marine Association was key supporter of the St Augustine mooring area.

Properly located and managed moor 'fields' could be a positive thing for the Sunshine State, communities.
    Other states might be more competitive. Boaters from the Northeast are often amazed at the lack,"Potential" with Florida boating environment.

Looks like we will see a formal moor field on the Ortega River,Jacksonville.Some expansion,demand by bonafide,responsible and appropriate boaters and for sure, again,a result of abuses,'derelict' boats,at times sunk & abandoned,and yes,all this in the face of FWCC 'Derelict Vessel' program.

Yepper- sail boat without mast is tell tale profile. With anchor rode about like 3/16" string......weather beaten,frayed. The call to 'Profile' is proven effective, encouraged.

"Shoreline Sprawl", waterfront residential development expansion is also a driver.It's been some time since boaters came forward promoting conservation land purchase,opposition to waterfront development in the name of "Landscape","Viewscape",boating experience,destination. (Can't imagine the 'Standing Watch' organization championing that...:))
    Waterfront development could be geared towards water dependent marine facility; recreation,activity,as state and local policy,direction.

:Popcorn
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,172 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    and allow their POS Hunter sailers to drift about the bay and crush endangered manatees under their barnacle encrusted hulls.
    That made me laugh!
    Next time you folks from NE Florida go down to St Augustine, have a look at where the mooring fields are. They go from the city south to where the sand banks start and north to where the sand banks start. They have purposely covered all of the safe anchorage in the vicinity.

This isn't just about removing the transients, this is a straight out tax. Above that, one of the pleasures of boating is sitting at your own anchorage. I fear that may be gone.