Off Shore - Bayport 8/22/2014

Went off shore out of Bayport on Friday and had an awesome trip. Got on the water as the sun was coming up and made our first stop in 25' of water about 40 minutes later. The sea were so smooth I could have pulled a skiier on the way out! We caught a few fish in 25 feet but it was a slow and no keeper grouper.

Ran another 6 miles out to one of my favorite spots in 35' of water and it was game on! The red grouper bite was unbelievable. We caught fish for a solid hour and a half and ened up with 12 keeper reds between 23" and 29". We never caught a gag the whole time - not even a short.

My buddy said there were no gags on the spot so I put on the dive gear to prove him wrong. In a 30 minute dive I shot 5 nice hog snapper and 2 big gags (one just under 30".)

We were done with grouper fishing before noon so we decided to try a little scalloping. We got a couple of gallons of scallops in about 40 minutes but it was almost 9' on the spot and no one wanted to work that hard so we called it a day.

One picture of the fish back at the house... great day of fishing with an awesome crew!

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,864 Captain
    Good times, I went out of Bayport once this summer and produced no grouper whatsoever in 25-40 feet. I think our unfamiliarity with the area was what hurt us the most but it's good to see there are some out there!
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Posts: 417 Officer
    Sounds like a good time.....and you got the fish to prove it. Awesome job and great report!!!!
  • srodriguezsrodriguez Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Nice catch. Went out of Hernando Beach about 3 weeks ago and the red tide was in 50 feet and deeper. Good to see there is fish in the area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,499 Moderator
    Good to see a positive report from down there. Thanks.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,839 Captain
    It is good to see a positive off shore report. Nice haul on those groupers. I bet your buddies will believe you next time!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,525 Captain
    Nicely done guys, if you can't catch them shoot em...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead