Marine Polish with PTEF on Cars?

91tiger91tiger Posts: 544 Officer
I told my Dad how much I liked the Star Brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF on my hull and reccomended he use it on his boat. He liked it and used it on his little weekend car too. Afterwards it had an amazingly slick finish and water beads great. It does have a clear coat. Was there any reason not to use on an automotive finish?

Replies

• BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 511 Officer
    Long before Star brite became the big dog in marine products, it sold car polishes.

I use it the Premium Marine Polish with PTEF on a black Jeep, a dark blue 911 and on my black Harley, on the painted surfaces and on all polished metals. The results are outstanding and long-lasting.

FWIW, a car's clear coat is the biggest marketing scam since Velveeta being a cheese. A clear coat is usually so thin that it wears off by the end of year one.

If the finish has any oxidation or hazing, use the Cleaner Wax with PTEF (not actually a wax - it is a polymer polish with just enough grit to remove the light oxidation or hazing)
    Use a polymer polish to create a barrier against UV as well as to help prevent dirt, grime, etc from sticking.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,812 Captain

FWIW, a car's clear coat is the biggest marketing scam since Velveeta being a cheese. A clear coat is usually so thin that it wears off by the end of year one.

Are you still living in 80's when auto manufactures were 1st trying out this new technology of 2 parts paints.......:shrug

That is terrible information from a guy that is suppose to be in "Car and Boat" maintenance business.

Shame on you Bill.

Although the thickness of the modern clear coat on an automobile is thinner than the Gel coat on a boat, there is a reason for that. Because the density and chemical makeup clear coats are naturally more resistant to oxidation from the sun and less susceptible to deep staining. The trade off is, that gel coat is more durable against scratching and friction type altercations to the surface.

To say that modern clear coat is of some sort of conspiracy by auto manufactures is ridiculous.

Don't bull **** me or my friends on this forum to sell your stuff......just be honest.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,735 Captain
    I took it as an opinion......just saying
    Long before Star brite became the big dog in marine products, it sold car polishes.

I use it the Premium Marine Polish with PTEF on a black Jeep, a dark blue 911 and on my black Harley, on the painted surfaces and on all polished metals. The results are outstanding and long-lasting.

If the finish has any oxidation or hazing, use the Cleaner Wax with PTEF (not actually a wax - it is a polymer polish with just enough grit to remove the light oxidation or hazing)
    Use a polymer polish to create a barrier against UV as well as to help prevent dirt, grime, etc from sticking.

PTEF's are sealants not polishes, get that straighten out with your Corporate sales manager.
    tunaman wrote: »
    I took it as an opinion......just saying

What, that Clear coat on an automobile is a scam?

Quite frankly, I'm not sure that Bill even knows what clear coat over paint is.

He must think it is a dealer option.:wink
    I know what clear coat is and I know it is not a replacement/substitute for polishing and that it has a finite lifespan and that you are not a nice person
    that you are not a nice person

To the Op...................

I would have absolutely no reservations using Star Brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF on any modern
    vehicle with clear-coat(thats all of them). Whether American,Asian or European built vehicle.

Since the label and sales add don't mention any chemical or abrasive additives as cleaning agents, it is strictly a sealant.

So if your vehicles clear coat is in good condition, this product will give you pleasant results.

PS Clear coat on vehicles is not a scam..........
  • OneTimeOneTime Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Will Velveeta work on the dash?
    Only if you drive a cheesey car or truck
    Clear coat over paint is one of the best technologies in the preservation
    of a vehicles ability to defend itself against the natural elements.

This newer 2 stage paint method replaced the old style single stage method.

Clear coat is one reason why auto manufactures can give longer warranties against things
    like rust and oxidation.....we don't really need Ziebart anymore.