Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Marsh fiddler - Jax flood tides

T-shirt BobT-shirt Bob Senior MemberPosts: 160 Officer
Novice at tying - saw a similar pattern and tweaked it to look like some of the marsh fiddlers we have here in Jax. Saw some flood tides recently and it will really be doing it next month. This particular fly caught 6 so far but got destroyed on Friday....got to try and tie up some more before it gets good again. Haven't had a refusal on it yet when I happen to make a good cast:grin Just need to tighten up the weed guard - any tips?

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Senior Member Cudjoe KeyPosts: 1,751 Captain
    Good looking fly that seems to work. Good luck & thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • double00bonddouble00bond Junior Member AP, FloridaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    I'd buy one

Sent from HTC One using Tapatalk
  • twirptwirp Senior Member Jax.Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Hey Bob,

I'll buy some of those from you and do some testing in our local waters. Let me know.

Brad
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Senior Member fort walton beach floridaPosts: 2,200 Captain
    What issue do you feel your having with the weed guard?
  • T-shirt BobT-shirt Bob Senior Member Posts: 160 Officer
    I'm not looking to get into the fly tying business since I only get about 2-3 done in an hour...lol

Guess with experience will come speed. It's still been something fun to learn during my chemo treatments.

The weed guard is just a little imperfect - I can't seem to wrap them where they look evenly spaced. I did another batch with a single mono guard that look better. My good buddy, who is much better with the flyrod than I will ever be, said not to get too wrapped up with what it looks like on the bench as long as it acts right in the water.

Shoot me a message Brad and I will give you a couple to try - I'm planning to wrap a few more before the floods start next month. I've got a black and purple one that looks good too.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Senior Member fort walton beach floridaPosts: 2,200 Captain
    I'm not looking to get into the fly tying business since I only get about 2-3 done in an hour...lol

Guess with experience will come speed. It's still been something fun to learn during my chemo treatments.

The weed guard is just a little imperfect - I can't seem to wrap them where they look evenly spaced. I did another batch with a single mono guard that look better. My good buddy, who is much better with the flyrod than I will ever be, said not to get too wrapped up with what it looks like on the bench as long as it acts right in the water.

Shoot me a message Brad and I will give you a couple to try - I'm planning to wrap a few more before the floods start next month. I've got a black and purple one that looks good too.
    OK so which is it to be the single or the 'V' guard you would prefer to go with. Learning to wrangle the angle of the dangle is the same only different depending on which which your trying to preset to the obtuse of the hook plane. You can greatly pre-influence the angle of the guard for your own convenience of application with a small preparation. I use a small set of smooth jawed needle nose pliers. For a single strand weed guard I pinch about 1/16" inch while bending the guard up tword the jaws to help set the angle, on a 'V' guard I pinch the apex center of the guard with the mono angled in order to set the flat as to cause the guard to angle back when tied to the head.
  • T-shirt BobT-shirt Bob Senior Member Posts: 160 Officer
    I will try the pliers trick. I think I did a good job on my single mono strand - basically cinched the front down by the hook eye and then stacked some thread on the opposite side so it stood up off the shank at a decent angle toward the hook. On the "V" I think I'm just screwing up when i start making figure 8s to tie it onto the shaft - in the photo above I'm pleased with the left side but the one on the right sticks out from the body too much.
  • patarpon120patarpon120 Junior Member Pottstown, PAPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Good know the novices can get hooked up. Coming down to visit my sister in Jax in December and plan on hitting up some flooded marshes. I live and fish in the northeast where blues, flounder and stripers are the big long rod prey (maybe some little tunas too). So this will be a very new experience for me. I've been doing alot of research on the area and fly patterns. I like this one and hopefully when I get some time at the bench next, I can put together a redfish box of flies.
  • twirptwirp Senior Member Jax.Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Not sure if we'll be flooding in December, might have a few.....Depending on how cold we've been, the reds might be schooled up on the flats. Let me know when you head down this way, might be able to show you a flat or two.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • patarpon120patarpon120 Junior Member Pottstown, PAPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks twirp!
    I'm going to look at some fly patterns this weekend and hopefully get some time at the bench.
    I'll try to get some pictures posted of what I come up with.
  • Net 30Net 30 Senior Member Not from herePosts: 1,051 Officer
    Nice little bug you got there.

Best wishes for you as you go thru your treatments…hang in there brother.
  • ifitswimsifitswims Senior Member CapePosts: 176 Deckhand
    Looks better than the custom flies I bought form Norm the other day. I would also buy them.