How Many Layers Of Epoxy

Just wounding how many layers of epoxy do you guys use for your rods ? My inshore rods get 2 layers but my thicker rods get 3 layers .
Native WaterCraft Redfish 14

Replies

• TedPTedP Posts: 90 Deckhand
    I don't go heavier or lighter based on the type of rod. I'll go as light as possible to look good and cover the thread. If I'm thinning heavily, like I do for fly rod builds, I might end up with four coats but the overall thickness of the epoxy is low.

If I'm doing tiger wraps or other decorative wraps, it might end up with four or more of non thinned epoxy.

Not that you asked, but I use Diamond 2 exclusively.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,263 Captain
    I'll use as many as 5 coats, even on smaller rods. I use threadmaster, and a #6 Russian red sable brush. Using multiple layers prevents cracking. I have rods that have seen heavy use over 6-7 years that still look really good.
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    For all of my offshore rods I wrap the guide on and put one coat of epoxy on it.

After it is dry I scuff it up with some scotchbrite...wipe it down with acetone and wrap it again!

After that I two coat with epoxy.
    On Wednesday, 1/25/2017...Florida Sportsman "Big Kahunna"......"Triple Threat 33T" gave his "official word"...and greasy thumb print...by saying....."Here's your written rules Schmidty, No Politics in OT. You're welcome."

...and with that history was made...:)
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 472 Officer
    I use the high build flex coat, heat it, put it on thick and then use a torch to thin it, one coat, and never had any issues. I used to do multi coats but really found it unnecessary as I got better with the torch.